Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
Originally Posted by MTGunner
I had the meat from my mountain goat made into Thurenger(sp) sausage. Did not last long. Mountain goat is true goat. Antelope not really a goat. Antelope, Pronghorn, are a species unto themselves having a flavor unlike venison. MTG

Yep. And they're not even an antelope, either. I read that their closest living relative is the giraffe. The reason that they are so speedy is that there used to be an American Cheetah (although may not have been closely related to the African cheetahs).

yeah yeah yeah....i know they are neither a goat nor an antelope.....but they do smell like an old billy goat so ill stick to calling them speed goats grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Only killed two lope. One was delicious, one was gross. Both were bang flops and skinned right away and cooled down.

the one that didnt taste so good, how long did yah look it over before shooting it.....could be yah shot one someone had run the hell out of not to much before hand and got it worked up.....

on time im pretty sure i shot the oldest speed goat doe in the state.....8 hours of stewing in red wine and you still couldnt chew it....flavor was fine but she was one tough old b!tch.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have killed a grand total of three speed goats, all near Big Timber, MT. There was virtually no sage brush where we were hunting. It was all grass. The pronghorn tasted like veal! Very mild flavor.

I have also taken mule deer in WY where they fed on sage brush and they were nasty.

My guess from the Great Lakes is that sage has something to do with taste. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I have killed a grand total of three speed goats, all near Big Timber, MT. There was virtually no sage brush where we were hunting. It was all grass. The pronghorn tasted like veal! Very mild flavor.

I have also taken mule deer in WY where they fed on sage brush and they were nasty.

My guess from the Great Lakes is that sage has something to do with taste. Anyone else have a similar experience?

nope, we shoot ours off of sage flats where there aint a hell of alot else to eat and they taste as good as the ones that are in crop land....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
brentd and rattler are right on. listen and learn.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Haven't hunted one since '10.

That Winter was brutal.

Still not that many around.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My experience with antelope is all over the charts. Perfectly killed and cared for crop eaters turned out yucky. Sage eater after a nasty run-n-gun was the best meat Ive had! My last one was a sage eater, killed in its bed, skinned and cooled on the spot. Excellent!
A couple people mentioned chewy ones...this is only a theory mind you, but Ive seen chewiness result from improper cooling, more than any other factor.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could be Poobs.

I've kept boned out meat(pronghorn and deer) on ice for 10 days or so before freezing and it has been great eating.

As for flavor an early season buck might be better eating?

Good antelope meat is really good grub.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antelope meat is some of the finest game fair to grace a dinner table, IMHO. Yet, as others have stressed, putting the animal down and treatment is the utmost requirement. I have taken many, many antelope and have yet to be disappointed in the flavor. I will not shoot at a running 'loper buck or doe. It is important to find that 'loper the is resting, feeding or merely milling around. Dress them right away and get the hide off without getting too much hair on the carcass. Get him/her into a cooler with ice. If no ice at least keep the meat out of sunlight as much as possible. Then get them to a meat processor as soon as possible. Venison is good, 'loper is better. MTG

Exactly what he said. Period.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by rifletom
Antelope meat is some of the finest game fair to grace a dinner table, IMHO. Yet, as others have stressed, putting the animal down and treatment is the utmost requirement. I have taken many, many antelope and have yet to be disappointed in the flavor. I will not shoot at a running 'loper buck or doe. It is important to find that 'loper the is resting, feeding or merely milling around. Dress them right away and get the hide off without getting too much hair on the carcass. Get him/her into a cooler with ice. If no ice at least keep the meat out of sunlight as much as possible. Then get them to a meat processor as soon as possible. Venison is good, 'loper is better. MTG

Exactly what he said. Period.

+1

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I love antelope meat. When I was a kid, my dad usually had them processed into jerky, summer sausage, etc. That gets very expensive. As an adult, I process my own, and my 13 year old son and I love it. We still occassionally make jerky and summer sausage ourselves, but prefer steaks.

We were out today, but the herds in northern Butte County,SD have not recovered from a severe winter kill a few years ago. Tough hunting!

Last edited by Benben; 09/29/13.

Mike
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by SamOlson

^^^ This.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only eaten it made into sausage and mixed with other stuff like pork and I thought it was top notch. Never ate it as just straight meat for a copmarison.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I've kept boned out meat(pronghorn and deer) on ice for 10 days or so before freezing and it has been great eating.

This. I'm always amazed when people don't like antelope meat.

I just put up some antelope steaks from my 2013. He was a dink, the smallest buck I've ever killed, but the meat was tender!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually have mine processed into jerky & summer sausage. Too me, Antelope is a little more "gamey" tasting than whitetail. It's edible, but not my favorite.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 405wcf

Just because an antelope eats sagebrush doesn't make it nasty. The care of the meat and choice of shot is what makes it nasty. I've been taking pronghorn my whole life and if you shoot one, don't make a good shot and it runs, you are screwed. If you shoot one that has been running, you are screwed. If you get one down and dress it and then ride around in the back of a truck for hours, you're screwed. Get it down, get it dressed and get it cold.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll take antelope over deer any time. Had back strap three nights over the last week and it was excellent, even guys who bad mouth antelope loved it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All my pronghorn meat has been outstanding table fare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better than deer or elk to my taste buds.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot my buck in Hardon Co. SD sat morning 20 minutes or so after sun up dressed him on the spot and walked out to the truck. I put my game cart together and retrieved him, done by 8:30 opening day.I skinned and broke him down back at camp, by 8:00 that nite the meat was less than 50 degrees temp and went into the cooler. I processed him Sunday afternoon when I got home it's only a 2.5-3 hr deal by yourself. Steaks and roasts you can allways cut roasts into something else after you thaw it.Scraps and trim into bulk bags to be ground later.It is about as easy as processing gets, never had one I couldn't eat one way or another.But take care of it just like the others say rfn. Magnum Man

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
368 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.