Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Sure there are some which the state thinks are dry, and they'll gladly turn otherwise fine people into felons for the simple act of bringing home a couple of bottles for their own consumption.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just a matter of getting village votes to change? I mean, in a village of 200 people, you probably only have 100 voters. Get 51 and the law is changed. Sounds doable either way the people want it. (Not talking about the reality of dry vs wet here, just the law)

Islam is a terrorist organization.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by BarryC
Eskimos are Indians and Indians don't mix well with alcohol. Heck, long winters affect a lot of people like that. Ask a Swede sometime. I'm not a fan of prohibition, but the inhabitants of those little towns chose it themselves. Who are we to argue?
I reckon if that's the way they want/need it, that's the way it should be.

No, Indians don't do well with alchohol. It seems that way on every res. I have land 2 mi. from the Menominee Indian res. in Wis. I see them drunk every time I see indians. I guess we could let them drink if they want to so bad. Sadly, the problem would fix itself.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC

Sure there are some which the state thinks are dry, and they'll gladly turn otherwise fine people into felons for the simple act of bringing home a couple of bottles for their own consumption.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just a matter of getting village votes to change? I mean, in a village of 200 people, you probably only have 100 voters. Get 51 and the law is changed. Sounds doable either way the people want it. (Not talking about the reality of dry vs wet here, just the law)

There's plenty of irony in the fact that some of the worst offenders are the same ones who vote to keep it dry. Of course, there are also those who protect their "livelyhood" by voting "dry". And then there are those who think that a law will help them be responsible, that it takes the "off the hook" just a bit. The places that seem to do things best are the ones where people understand personal responsibility, self-discipline, etc. Lots of ways to screw things up when a culture makes such huge shifts in only a few generations. But alcohol cannot be uninvented.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dry rezs in Indian country are just a tactic for bootleggers to make more money.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm all fer freedom, but evidently,..a drunk Eskimo is a mean sumbitch!

Case in point,...Thompson, Manitoba.

Leading cause of death?,...drunk ass Eskimo.

http://www.thompsoncitizen.net/arti...ost-violent-crime-city-thompson-manitoba

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plenty of cases in point.....and most of them aren't Eskimos....or Indians.

Alcohol seems to lead to a lot more "crazy" and "stupid" than mean in my experience in Eskimo country. In that respect it ain't a whole lot different than in most places I'm thinking. I don't put much faith or trust in any drunk, even/especially myself.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

Well, lack of access makes it work, for a bit.

Lack of access is merely a 'price multiplier' it seems.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

Well, lack of access makes it work, for a bit.

Lack of access is merely a 'price multiplier' it seems.

Let's see, I want a new snowmachine. $8000 should get me an adequate machine paid for and landed. One case of booze might cost me $150 paid for and shipped. I can sell it for $3000. That's $2850 clear profit. Three cases puts me well beyond the needed amount.

Heck, PFDs are coming up. Instead of investing $450, it will be no skin off my back to throw it all in. That way I can double my initial thought. Heck $16,000 will buy any snowmachine I want, including virtually any of the high tech stuff. In addition, think of all the friends I'll have.

Even a relatively dull person can figure this out.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I see opportunity!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
...and a new sled in my future.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In your case you'll probably need a 'front' and they'll need a cut. I don't do that. However, I can maybe arrange it - (for a "modest" percentage of course. wink ) You better consider investing your whole PFD. wink grin (You should still be able to get yourself a decent fanner. laugh )

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In your case you'll probably need a 'front' and they'll need a cut.

Anyone you know? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The eskimoes (artic people) eat lots of meat fat and used berry

juice for vit C. Didn't need any HTC for blood press,ECT.

And little need for alcohol to turn to sugar to make them sick

like us!

Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If there is violence in most cases there is alcohol.

My brother is an alchoholic, been dry now for years, doing much better overall than me in fact.

But... growing up we had the exact same drinking habits.... as in drink ourselves to unconsciousness, the usual teen binges.

Next morning show me a beer and I would react like a vampire does to sunlight, whereas he would be in the fridge, looking for any left over.

The point being that I believe how one reacts to alchohol is genetic; my brother craved it, still fears it. Me, I could take it or leave it, always has been that way, will power or character having nothing to do with it.

The town drunk in every old Western movie? That was the guy with the genetic predisposition.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

The point being that I believe how one reacts to alchohol is genetic; my brother craved it, still fears it. Me, I could take it or leave it, always has been that way, will power or character having nothing to do with it.

come from a family tree loaded with alcoholics....much in the way you describe your brother though they arent dry.....however my brother and i seem to be missing the "addiction gene"....hell when he was a smoker he could quit on a whim even though he smoked heavily at times....even though im on fairly heavy pain killers i tend to get pissed at the side effects semi regularly and just quit them cold turkey till the pain forces me back on them, which is usually immediately preceeded by me shattering a molar from trying to grit my teeth through the pain crazy i have a hard time wrapping my head round those that have a hell of a time quiting stuff when its always been easy to me cause i dont have the addictive personality...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1badf350, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.