24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The only gun I ever owned and later exchanged that I truly regretted was a Remington 37. Ever since then, a 37 was on my bucket list. A 37 with the original barrel, not otherwise changed much, and still affordable is hard to come because there were less than 13,000 ever made with last being built in 1954. Remington put a lot of effort into these rifles so they would really perform but that amount of attention kept production numbers down. Anyway I happened into a 1946 model 37 with the original barrel and original �miracle� trigger a couple of weeks ago. To make it even better I got an option to get it with a Feckers scope that was on it. The Feckers has a unique center mounted parallax adjustment. After getting it focused it delivered a 5-shot 0.186� group @ 50 yards with that 67 year old barrel. This one I will keep.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a great looking 37. I have a 40X and would love to add a 37 to my collection, but I've never seen one available at gun shows or at a gun shop.
They are absolutely great shooters as you evidenced by your targets.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
You and I must think alike in that I too was looking for a 40X rimfire and a 37. I have four 40X centerfires but no rimfires. After Christmas, I am going on the hunt for a 40X .22 LR.

I have to confess that I made a real rookie mistake when I first took it out. This was my first Feckers scope so I go right into the parallax adjustment to get the scope in focus. The Feckers has glass on par with my Unertls but it just works a little different. I had some Eley Match I was shooting the first time out and it did okay, groups in the 0.3" - 0.5" range with little effort but nothing great and the groups are stringing a bit. So I go back out the next day and forgot the Eley and had some SK Standard Plus in the bag so I thought I would try that instead of walking back to the house. It shoots a 0.376" and a 0.369" with the SK in the first two groups which is pretty good and about the same as the Eley. I thought I would try to fine tune the scope focus to get it as clear as I can. As I am darting my head in and out of the scope, I just noticed the reticle moving around a little but I am not touching the rifle. I did not focus the reticle on the ocular lens before I set the parallax!! blush (Rookie!) Ok, set the focus and AGAIN set the parallax and bang, .186" with the next group and this time the group is round. Duh....... blush

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very classy .22 rifle. A favorite of Jim Carmichael as I recall from his writings.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Very classy .22 rifle. A favorite of Jim Carmichael as I recall from his writings.

When I was very little my dad would take me with him to his friend's barber shop where socializing was as important as haircuts. In the shop there were all these hunting/shooting magazines that I would go through. As I recall, Jim Carmichael wrote for Outdoor Life and I enjoyed reading his articles at the shop as well as those by Jack O�Connor, and Warren Page. Thank you, that took me back to some happy memories.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice.. I have checked out thousands of 22's and don't remember ever seeing a 37 for sale.. It is one I would surely have to consider.. It's poor man's cousin the 513T is a great shooter, but lacks the class of the better quality rifle..Great buy!!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 37 is a special rifle. I have a 40X, couple 52's plus some german target rifles, but my 37 is a favorite.
5 shot magazines and single shot adapters are pricey but I heard Outback Gun Parts was working on reproductions if anyone is in the market.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here's mine.[Linked Image] [img:center]http://[/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Saleen322: That Remington Rifle and scope just look wonderful!
And obviously it shoots wonderfully well also.
I have "missed" out on two Remington Model 37's over the years - both came through the huge Seattle area gunshow about 15 years apart (1975 - 1990ish).
I was within $50.00 of owning one of these and how I wish now that I had bucked up and spent that additional half a C note to get that minty Rifle!
I have a nice Remington Model 40X rimfire and it indeed does shoot quite well.
I have it set up for Colony Varmint Hunting and it shoots Winchester Power-Point hollow-points quite well.
And thanks for the info (numbers) on Model 37 production.
They indeed, are, quite rare.
Back in about 1970 I was shooting at the SPAA range in the Duwamish Tide Flats of Seattle where two "older" shooters were having a "grudge match" with their heavy barrel factory 22 rimfires. One was shooting a Model 37 and the other was shooting a Winchester Model 52!
I had to leave before they concluded their contest but I was impressed (I remember to this day!) with the accuracy they were both obtaining there at 100 yards.
Best of luck in your search for a Model 40X also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My first decent .22 was a 37. It would shoot 2"x4" groups at 200 yards with Green Tags.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sqweeler: that is a fine looking rifle and with the original rear sight that is so hard to find.

VarmintGuy: thanks for the complement. I too started shooting in the days where the 37 and 52 were on equal footing with Anschutz. That was back in the days where you started with a Winchester 75, a Remington 513 "Matchmaster" or Mossberg 44 and then moved up to a 37 or 52. I am showing my age! grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Put a Lyman Supertargetspot on this morning.All indication's are she's going to like Eley.Didn't pay no mind to the wind flag's on 7 & 8 just to show the wife how important they are shooting rimfire at 50yds. [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.