Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I'm wondering what the better low-budget ($2-300) options might be for converting to a heated shelter. I thought I was a long ways off from this, but now that I've been working on a homemade wood stove I have the bug to get out there and use it. I want something suitable for 2 people plus the stove and hopefully get our packs inside as well. I will modify whatever works with a stove jack and maybe add other reinforcements as necessary.

I definitely want one of the "big name" tipis in the future, but just looking to get out there without freezing my butt off in the meantime even if it costs me a bit more weight or long-term durability.

Any good ideas?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The go-to budget shelter used to be the Golite SL3 (one-man with stove and SL4/SL5 shelters. You had to add your own stove jack. I would look hard at Bearpaw Design's Luna pyramid shelter. He will add a stovejack. I would put it directly opposite the door zipper. Study the site as he offers LOTS of options.

http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/luna.html

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The seekoutside LBO can be had for about 300 and then later expanded on to provide more space or suit changing needs

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tough to beat the Go-Lite SL series for the money. $299 gets you fly, stakes, pole and a net inner that is great for car camping if you have a sig other or kids who don't feel comfortable being exposed to bugs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by strawman
Tough to beat the Go-Lite SL series for the money. $299 gets you fly, stakes, pole and a net inner that is great for car camping if you have a sig other or kids who don't feel comfortable being exposed to bugs.

The Golite nest for the SL3 sucks and blows and you can't buy just the canopy anymore. The Bearpaw is a superior option, IMO. For a little more weight, the Seek Outside 4-man looks like THE starter heated shelter, IMO.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've never used an SL3 so you may be correct. It's still a good, inexpensive option as you can easily sell the GoLite nest. I should have clarified in my previous post, the $299 is for the SL5, while the SL3 is $249 with everything. The SL5 nest works great for car camping in buggy areas and you can get a lighter BPWD custom nest for backpacking in buggy areas if need be. In my experience, the SL5 fly works great for everything and is a tremendous value.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The GoLite SL5 is a great shelter for the money. However, the SO LBO is even better, IMO. A big plus for the LBO is it's modularity for expanding to suite needs and trip requirements.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Biggest con I see with the LBO is that unless you are dang short, you can't stand up in it (64 in). Plus, if you start adding onto it, you quickly leave the cheap category of shelters.

The OP has the exact question I have, with a preference for standup capability and a small foot print. The Luna 4 has my eye from bpwd as does the KIS 4 man tipi. The KIS is getting kinda big. It seems about 75- 80 sq ft is good for two and stove, if they know each other well. SL5 is also big, but hard to ignore the price. Add on a custom nest, 50 for a stove jack and a few hours of labor though too.

Good tips so far. I'll be interested to hear more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm only 5'9", so I can almost stand in the LBO. It is easy to get dressed or move around in. I also have a stand up shelter, the SO BCS, and most times prefer the LBO, both for weight and the fact that it heats easier.

It does get expensive when/if you add up all the parts, but this can be done over time.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So, for a fully configured floorless lightweight shelter, honestly, the LBO, KIS and SL 5 are pretty similarly priced for real back country usage. One is super modular, on is super capable, and one requires a lot of add on work to make for you situations. Would I rather spend my time adding sod skirts and a stove jack, or order a pole and some stake form amazon and call it good.

Last edited by Kevin_T; 09/25/13.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
So, for a fully configured floorless lightweight shelter, honestly, the LBO, KIS and SL 5 are pretty similarly priced for real back country usage. One is super modular, on is super capable, and one requires a lot of add on work to make for you situations. Would I rather spend my time adding sod skirts and a stove jack, or order a pole and some stake form amazon and call it good.

A VERY persuasive arguement.

K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Good info, thanks everyone for the opinions. I've been in the mode of trying to "buy once cry once" so I may just have to hold out for some of the options just above my price range. It's tough to live on a budget with all of the sweet outdoor gear out there...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a LBO with a three piece vestibule which works really well for two guys with a stove in the center. The BCS2 would offer more room, and if you want a lot of room get a 6 or 8 man.

Gear of all kinds are alike in that it is cheaper to buy what you want NOW, instead of going through several cheaper alternatives and loosing a bit of money on the sale of each before buying what you wanted in the first place.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What I'd really like is a bcs1 without the add in panel. I can't recall exactly, but something like 75 sq ft? And very tall. Stove jack included. I think that would fill my need nicely, but they are more expensive and now tough to find, which has me looking at the KIS. That has a bigger footprint though. I'll figure something out. And I'm 6 ft 1.

I enjoy messing with gear, so sewing jobs are fun, but sometimes it is nice to just buy something and go. Lots of options!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought a black diamond megamid with a stove jack added would make for a good inexpensive way to get into a budget heated shelter. It ended up being a fail.

The problem with the smaller heated shelters are many. Once you bring in gear, the 4 man becomes at best a 2 man shelter. Once you add heat you find you're either too close to the stove, or your back is against the cold fabric of the tent.

IMHO a heated tipi type tent needs to be at least a 6 man sized tent to allow for room for you, gear, firewood and setback for the stove.

I still haven't decided on the best way to go for me, but the next purchase will definatley be a buy once cry once deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a used SL4 that I don't need anymore. It rides around under the back seat of my truck now for a "just in case" situation.

It's the green color they discontinued a while back. No stove jack in it. PM me if you're interested.

I'll add it to the funds for a KIS 6 man.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Here's a pic of my Golite setup:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Plenty of room for two or three with gear. Good lower price option. Kevin T. even added the stove jack for me.

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That looks like room for two to me. I started out thinking 2men and a stove would work in an SL3 and figured out PDQ that wasn't happening.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, an SL3 is pretty much a one man, with a lot of storage for gear. An SL4 is a palace for 2. IIRC, the difference between the two is less than half a pound?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Agreed, an SL3 is pretty much a one man, with a lot of storage for gear. An SL4 is a palace for 2. IIRC, the difference between the two is less than half a pound?

If only using the fly 3oz difference according to their comparison chart

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.