Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Exactly my point. Never used vlds and never intend to.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been in almost every area of NM that holds elk. Just like any state, in some of those areas elk can be found in the wide open while in others 25 yards is a long ways. So yes, maybe me living here I have seen a lot of what you have not.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You mean to say your taking this all serious?

I'm going with what was said by Booger users, like Mule Deer....

Didn't draw a special area permit this year, so I'll mostly hunt my regular Forest Service spots, which primarily find elk in timber at moderate ranges--so no, Bergers wouldn't be one of my top three choices this year. But if I did draw a permit for more open country they would be.

That sums it up right there...Boogers are for special needs not an all around Elk hunting bullet such as Partions/A-Frames/North Forks and a host of others.

Jayco

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A whole lot of talking by guys that don't intend to even try Bergers. It gets so old, pointing out that the sales job you all keep trying to do has no audience among Berger users. I don't shoot them because I was convinced to, or somehow tricked into it. I appreciate your efforts, but I'll still have Bergers in my rifle when I hunt open canyons this year. For timber hunting, and 100yd shooting, a lever gun in 44 mag is my huckleberry pancake.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There ya go right there...You have bullets you have chosen for your type of hunting based solely on your experiences with elk bullets,and so do I.

While you choose your 44 for up close and personal,I can use any rifle I own, with Nosler Partitions.

It's all about choices based not on internet talk but actual experiences we have done or seen....

I like my 45-70 to about 300 yards with a 300 Nosler at 2300 fps.

Jayco

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
A whole lot of talking by guys that don't intend to even try Bergers. It gets so old, pointing out that the sales job you all keep trying to do has no audience among Berger users. I don't shoot them because I was convinced to, or somehow tricked into it. I appreciate your efforts, but I'll still have Bergers in my rifle when I hunt open canyons this year. For timber hunting, and 100yd shooting, a lever gun in 44 mag is my huckleberry pancake.

Has it occurred to you that maybe the audience isn�t current Berger users but rather those who are considering various options? For myself, I don�t expect to alter nay Berger user�s opinions of VLDs, although some have tried them and found them not to their liking for the same reasons people like myself have chosen not to use them in the first place � for the most part they seem to act just like the manufacturer claims they will. Sorry, but that isn�t the type of performance I want from the bullets I use.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can see that the audience is mainly Berger detractors. The OP asked for experiences with Bergers on elk, yet the thread drew many of the usual suspects, who once again pontificate and preach of the evils and limitations and failures of target bullets on game animals.

Do you see what I am getting at here? Bergerphobia. If you don't like what they do, there are many other bullets you can use. I don't just shoot Berger bullets in my rifle. I may not hunt solely with Berger bullets. There are real benefits to using VLD, high-BC bullets, and I've yet to see any of the limitations that are often touted as the inherent flaws in Berger bullets for game.

Methinks thou dost protest too much!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OP's question...

Who uses Berger bullets for elk? Results/experiences please.

Coyote Hunter, do us a favor and quit wasting space here. (i want to say shut up, but that would not be polite). So far you have offered nothing but hot air and no content to the OP's question.
You have ZERO hunting experience with Berger's and you seem bent to hijack this thread

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's the way Berger threads usually go. Most of the posts come from people who say they'd never even consider using a Berger. To make sure nobody has missed their point, they repeat it later in the same thread, saying the same thing, usually right after somebody provides their "real life" experience with Bergers.

Though most of 'em do say, "Feel free to use whatever you want," at least after the 5th time they post.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ha! Yes, so true. They think they are doing the world a favor.

They are nothing but an old scratched up (annoying) record.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is it not the Pro's and Con's of any bullet that make or break a user's interest?

All Pro's don't tell us much as well as one kill with a certain bullet.There are two sides to any story and with nothing but Pro's,your building up the bullet to much,as "Lil John said.

Jayco

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Is it not the Pro's and Con's of any bullet that make or break a user's interest?

Sure, let's hear it all pro and con...of Berger Bullets, from people that have experience with THEM.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is another interesting thread on Berger bullets not performing at Long range hunting with pictures and stories of Bergers not working to be fair to the opp.

Well worth a look if your interested or haven't used it much.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/pics-berger-bullets-not-performing-103068/

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SU35

Sure, let's hear it all pro and con...of Berger Bullets, from people that have experience with THEM.

You ask and you shall receive...People who have used them alot....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/pics-berger-bullets-not-performing-103068/

Jayco

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All ready read those links.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Jayco, did you read that whole thread on Berger failures? I did. Because I am interested in all the information I can get my hands on. What I'm not interested in is reading the dribble that donkeys and mules who have nothing productive to add to the discussion keep posting. I get your leanings. You shoot Noslers and CoreLocts. They are what you've shot, and what you will shoot. I get it. Why in the hell are you posting on a 'experiences with Bergers and elk' thread? Find a 'I worship Partitions' thread, or start one.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Donkeys and mules?Wow.......

Do you have to shoot several dozen elk with a .338 Win Mag to know it works even though others have proved it time after time?

Someone asked for experienced opinions and I gave it being the mule I am or is it Donkey.....Who knows....It appears some of the Booger users have some thin skin.

Don't be an ass and start name calling...Get it ..ass... grin

Your taking this internet chit to serious.

Jayco

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You are making my point for me, so thanks. Try Bergers. Hell, try them in a 338 Win Mag. Then tell us about it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In the interest of balance, here is another link: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/lets-see-your-berger-kills-94959/

I know you guys all mean well, but really, I want you to know, Berger bullets work fine for hunting at long and short ranges, in a plethora of situations. There is ample evidence of this, and documented accounts of hundreds of people in support. They aren't magic, and they do things other than what some would have them do, but for me, and for so many, my experience, though limited, supports their acceptable use on big game. I hear they don't often exit, but that hasn't been my experience. I hear they are soft, but I have seen no lack of penetration. They just behave differently that most hunting bullets. Not better, just different. There is a sort of philosophy behind their use for me, a set of ideals that they fit into, just like TTSX, Accubonds, Partitions, SAF, etc, fit into the ideals of others.

I understand the desire to shoot tough bullets. I've got some loads worked up with some Interbonds and SST's, and I've got a box of Accubonds and a few Partitions, all brands 180s, to work up as well. How I will use them remains to be seen. Maybe I'll put one in the pipe for close shots, and then if I need to stretch it out a long way, I'll swap for a VLD.

I don't attach a dogma to bullets. I will use what I like, and I encourage others to do the same. And to share diverse experiences from mine. Rant over.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
In the interest of balance, here is another link: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/lets-see-your-berger-kills-94959/

I know you guys all mean well, but really, I want you to know, Berger bullets work fine for hunting at long and short ranges, in a plethora of situations. There is ample evidence of this, and documented accounts of hundreds of people in support. They aren't magic, and they do things other than what some would have them do, but for me, and for so many, my experience, though limited, supports their acceptable use on big game. I hear they don't often exit, but that hasn't been my experience. I hear they are soft, but I have seen no lack of penetration. They just behave differently that most hunting bullets. Not better, just different. There is a sort of philosophy behind their use for me, a set of ideals that they fit into, just like TTSX, Accubonds, Partitions, SAF, etc, fit into the ideals of others.

I understand the desire to shoot tough bullets. I've got some loads worked up with some Interbonds and SST's, and I've got a box of Accubonds and a few Partitions, all brands 180s, to work up as well. How I will use them remains to be seen. Maybe I'll put one in the pipe for close shots, and then if I need to stretch it out a long way, I'll swap for a VLD.

I don't attach a dogma to bullets. I will use what I like, and I encourage others to do the same. And to share diverse experiences from mine. Rant over.

Well said! It doesn't matter what the other guy uses as long as your happy.

Semper Fi
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.