Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Just returned from the range. My G30S feeds hardball perfectly every time. However, with Speer 230 grain Gold Dots, the 9th round in the magazine stovepipes with regularity. It happens with all 4 magazines. I ordered some Wolff springs, but couldn't get them in the magazine tube, so I went back to stock springs. The pistol was clean and lubed and is completely stock.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. Don't limp wrist (you are probably not, but it needs to be said).
2. Try a different brand of hollow point.
3. At least it is a .45 and it runs on ball.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What ? A Glock with feeding issues ? Say it isn't so ! Only the 1911's have feeding issues. E

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Send it back to Glock.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. With the problem occurring at the same point in 4 different magazines while using one of the most common and reliable 230 grain hollowpoints in the caliber, I would let the factory deal with that.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Travis:

I took out some Winchester Ranger T, Federal HST +P and Remington Golden Saber, all 230 grain and compared them to the length and shape of the 230 grain Speer Gold Dot. The others are slightly longer in OAL compared to the Gold Dot, and have a less "blunt" shape on the ogive. I'm going to do a range test with those and see if that doesn't solve the problem. If not, it's going back to Glock.

K1500:

I'm not limp wristing it. It's always the 9th round in the 10 round mag that malfunctions. And it does it with all 4 magazines.

One would expect factory Speer Gold Dots to feed in a Glock. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem. An internet search revealed that someone experienced the same problem with Gold Dots and blamed it on a weak set of mag springs that "Glock Perfection" QC failed to catch. The springs seem quite strong to me. And it works perfectly with ball. It's the only Glock I ever experienced an FTF with.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would say send it back to Glock if you don't want to go this route check the following:

Polish the feed ramp? Check the extractor, and check the guide rod/spring.

Is the round that stove piping loaded or fired?

If it is fired the slide is not being forced back with enough force to extract it completely while starting a new round to the chamber making a "stove pipe"? Could be weak loaded ammo?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I intentionally limp wrist a gun/ammo combination before I would consider carrying it. My 30SF has been 100% with 230 grain Gold Dots even in that test. I would not carry it otherwise. I realize that the 30S is a different gun with a lighter slide and barrel and probably has different slide cycling characteristics because of that. In addition, the fact that this is occurring at the end of the magazine means the gun is at its lightest when this is occurring. But, still, it should work with that load, and I would not be satisfied until it did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe you about the not limp writing part. I would send it back too. You will probably get a better response if it malfunctions with more than one brand/bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Test other rounds, don't hang everything on on cartridge from a single lot of ammo. For all you know something could be wrong with the ammo. Bad lot, improperly stored prior to you buying, etc. if it works with another load from a major manufacturer, you're good to go. The Speer load is good, but it's no "better" or worse than something from WinFedRem.

If it does it consistently wig multiple loads, then you have a problem.

Can you describe the malfunction? Failure to feed isn't very specific.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
He said the 9th round stovepipes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got about 500 rounds through my 30S and haven't encountered any problems with handloads using 230 grain Gold Dots; I haven't used any factory rounds except for a few magazines of my normal carry load of Winchester 230 grain SXTs.

When I see "stovepiping Glock" I immediately think "limpwrist", but if it ALWAYS happens on the 9th round, it's probably something else. Did you have the problem before you took apart the magazines and tried to install the new springs?

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mesabi
I've got about 500 rounds through my 30S and haven't encountered any problems with handloads using 230 grain Gold Dots; I haven't used any factory rounds except for a few magazines of my normal carry load of Winchester 230 grain SXTs.

When I see "stovepiping Glock" I immediately think "limpwrist", but if it ALWAYS happens on the 9th round, it's probably something else. Did you have the problem before you took apart the magazines and tried to install the new springs?

Yes. I had the same problem before I tried to install the new springs. A Glock armorer reinstalled the original springs and checked the mags for burrs, eceteras without result.

I just got off the phone with Glock tech support and the tech simply said to try different JHP's. He was unaware of any similar G30S complaints. If the problem still persists, he said to send it to them (at my expense). Next day air (required for handguns) is $85.

I'll try different ammunition and if it still malfunctions, will simply get rid of it.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Test other rounds, don't hang everything on on cartridge from a single lot of ammo. For all you know something could be wrong with the ammo. Bad lot, improperly stored prior to you buying, etc. if it works with another load from a major manufacturer, you're good to go. The Speer load is good, but it's no "better" or worse than something from WinFedRem.

If it does it consistently wig multiple loads, then you have a problem.

Can you describe the malfunction? Failure to feed isn't very specific.

The 9th round comes out of the mag at too steep an angle and the nose of the bullet impacts the roof of the chamber at an angle without chambering.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
He said the 9th round stovepipes.

Travis
There is a possibility it can still be the ammo. As unlikely as the scenario is, I've learned that you can save yourself some headaches if you just check the easy stuff first.

How can it be the ammo? If the rounds are loaded light, they could generate sufficient recoil to cycle all but the last round. Each time the gun is fired, the lower half weighs less. On steel guns it's just not an issue. On synthetic framed guns, the difference in weight has a noticable effect on recoil resistence.

If I had to guess, I'd say the shooter isn't holding the gun firmly enough. I haven't brought the subject up because someone else has already covered it.

Is it likely that it's just the ammo? Not really, but I would never just instantly rule it out. Bad ammo is out there; always is.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
The 9th round comes out of the mag at too steep an angle and the nose of the bullet impacts the roof of the chamber at an angle without chambering.

Is the breech face behind the cartridge or slightly covering the cartridge. As in over/on-top of the rim, or behind the rim?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because it appears to be limited to a 9th round problem (presuming 10 round magazines), to save time and money I probably would load the magazines with 3 rounds and test death grip versus lesser grips, with the Gold Dots and other ammo.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

Is the breech face behind the cartridge or slightly covering the cartridge. As in over/on-top of the rim, or behind the rim?

The breech face is partially covering the cartridge. It is not fully in battery. But the breech face is smooth, with no machining marks or burrs.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Because it appears to be limited to a 9th round problem (presuming 10 round magazines), to save time and money I probably would load the magazines with 3 rounds and test death grip versus lesser grips, with the Gold Dots and other ammo.

That is a GREAT idea! I'll do that.

The pistol runs fine with several types of 230 grain hardball. I'm experienced with Glocks and do not limp wrist.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shoot something with more zip. Leave the weenie loads for a G21.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.