-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I had a Rem 700 with a factory extractor I would leave it alone as they are very good extractors. Having said that if I came into a Rem 700 with a properly installed Sako or M-16 extractor I would be fine with it. I've used several different Rem 700s with both for decades. 163bc

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If they're doing that with the Lapua, maybe they don't have full confidence in their "C" clip extractor.

Most likely there's not enough room for that arrangement in the bolt face....

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by aalf
If they're doing that with the Lapua, maybe they don't have full confidence in their "C" clip extractor.

That is exactly right - there is no room for the C clip extractor in the bolt face because the Lapua case head is so large.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 163bc
If I had a Rem 700 with a factory extractor I would leave it alone as they are very good extractors. 163bc

You are KIDDING, right? Very good extractors? More like the sorriest extractors ever foisted onto the American gun buying public.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JFE
Originally Posted by aalf

That is exactly right - there is no room for the C clip extractor in the bolt face because the Lapua case head is so large.

I just looked over a 7.62 Warbird that a gunsmith friend built on a model 700 and this is, of course, correct. In his case the Sako Extractor was used and the first owner shot a pile of STUPID hot loads through it including some 150gr loads that ran 4,000 fps but required a hammer to open the bolt and made the cases look a reverse image of the bolt face!

(Young moron that just loaded the book max loads and wanted his money back for the rifle when those max loads stuck in the chamber all the time. My gunsmith buddy happily re purchased the rifle to get rid if this idiot and get that ticking time bomb out of his hands!)

The newly modified bolt, with Sako extractor, handled a steady dose of (literally) brass melting, primer popping overloads with no difficulty. Gives me much hope for the conversion and I have offered to trade him out of the rifle. I have a CETME being shipped to his house that, if he likes it and wants it, might become a custom 7.62 Warbird with a Pac Nor barrel etc.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'll take the safety factor of a factory 700 over the possibly better more reliable extraction of the Sako just because I value my saftey, I have a few customs with Sakos and they work fine but not any better than my factory 700's which I have never had an issue with....... but I have never tried to achieve 30-378 velocity out of my 30-30!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I'll take the safety factor of a factory 700 over the possibly better more reliable extraction of the Sako just because I value my saftey, I have a few customs with Sakos and they work fine but not any better than my factory 700's which I have never had an issue with....... but I have never tried to achieve 30-378 velocity out of my 30-30!

Exactly. Never really understood guys trying to turn their 30/06 into a 300 Mag especially when most of them owned several guns anyway. Besides, anytime I tried to boost velocity by hot rodding a load, it usually shot like crap anyway.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.