Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've tried them in multiple cals and rifles and never had them shoot very well. One exception was a heavy 300WM, I was able to get to .75 with the 180s in it(shoots in the .2s with MKs). Other than that one rifle, they've been a joke in everything else. Kind of a bummer when you have rigs that will shoot darn near anything well. Swift needs to go back to the drawing board again with these pills, SS3?....

loder

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have posted this before but my experience with the SSll enough to put me off them for life. I ground one for my display wall and found this void so I did a weight sampling from the box and there was a 5 whole grain discrepency from lightest to heaviest. I had a 1/2 doz other brands to test in a newly built 7x57 and they all came in at .2 max variation.

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by VonGruff

I have posted this before but my experience with the SSll enough to put me off them for life. I ground one for my display wall and found this void so I did a weight sampling from the box and there was a 5 whole grain discrepency from lightest to heaviest. I had a 1/2 doz other brands to test in a newly built 7x57 and they all came in at .2 max variation.

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

If that's a sampling of their QC, then it's a wonder they shoot as well as they do. Did you let Swift know about that?

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience they work very similarly to Interbonds when they hit stuff.

I've had mixed results getting Scirocco II's to shoot well. They seem to take more fooling with powder charge and seating depth than most other bullets, and with some boxes I've just never gotten them to shoot well in any rifle. In others they're outstanding; my .243 loves the 90's.

I have to confess that the powder and charges that I use with the S IIs (and used with the originals) were taken from your "Loads That Work" articles (both the original and the revised). I seat them out as long as they will work reliably through the magazine. As I mentioned, I had to drop back a couple of grains with the 180s in the .300 Wby, but they shoot about as well as anything in the gun safe. Not really much "work up" to speak of...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[quote=VonGruff]

If that's a sampling of their QC, then it's a wonder they shoot as well as they do. Did you let Swift know about that?

DF

I emailed them and while they did answer with an offer to ring, when I gave them the ph no and a time I would be home taking into account the time zones so it would be a working hours time for them I heard nothing from them. I figured it was because I was off the US radar so it wasn't important to them.

Von Gruff.

Last edited by VonGruff; 02/04/12.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mudhen,

Thanks for the info. Have you only tried them in the .300 Weaherby?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe 180 gr. .30 cal and 90 gr. 6mm are the SSII crown jewels... smile

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had good luck with the 180gr SI2 in my 300 rum and 26" pacnor barrel on paper and game. Haven't recovered a bullet yet and have taken a couple of caribou, a brown bear and half dozen sitka deer with that combo. 15 yards out to 300.

Hopefully the bullet in the photo above is just a fluke.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mudhen,

Thanks for the info. Have you only tried them in the .300 Weaherby?

No, I shoot 130s in my .270s and 210s in my .338 Win Mags. Obviously, the .338 loads weren't from your articles, but the ones I use in the .270s and the .300 Wby were.

I started out with 180 Partitions in the .300 Wby and used the same charge with the original Sciroccos. I continued using the S IIs when the change came, but had to back off a couple of grains. I have taken two fairly large bulls with each bullet.

So far, I have only taken one with the .338 210s, but they work at least as well as the 180s in the .300 Wby. I had been using 225 A-frames in the .338s, but I get smaller three-shot groups with the S IIs and a little flatter trajectory out to 300-350 (which is about as far as I care to shoot these days).

I have only taken a few management bucks and several feral hogs with the .270s, but have yet to recover one or need a second shot.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We used the originals to legally cull bunches and bunches of does on a local plantation. The number is not important here. What is important though was the inordinate number of failures we had when using them, as opposed to other brands....

One scenario stands out in particular: I had one box of 20 factory loadings with the Sciroccos. Out of the 20 shot with that box, 18 either failed outright, blowing up on the hide of the deer, or the shot resulted in one hell of a tracking job to locate the deer. Their performance was erratic as hell.

I fell out of love with them shortly after that.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! Glad I read this thread. Just going by published ballistics they looked pretty impressive and with the Swift reputation I was going to give them a try. Guess I'll just stick with Nosler.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bring this back up.

I just put a load together using the Swift Scirocco Bullets.

I used the 180 grain bullets in my 300 Win. Mag. I had to seat them deeper than what I would run my Nosler A/B 180 grain load. I think they like to jump.

I used H-4831sc powder. I worked up to 76 grains with this load, I felt this was too warm of a load. No real signs of pressure. This load would group on average .8 to 1 inch. I was seating this bullet at 3.890 to the Ogive.

I use 76 grains of this powder when I load my 180 grain Nosler B/T load with no problems and great accuracy. I just felt the Swift bullet was a bit more sticky going down the bore. So I reduced the load to 75 grains moved the bullet deeper 3.885 Ogive.

I think this is what they call the sweet spot. Groups shrank, .3 to .5 I tested this a few times. This load groups tight every time. (In my gun) Velocity on average is 3125 fps.

My ogive tool measures 1 inch long.

Total length is 3.559

Remember this is just for fun.
I was digging through my bullet cabinet when I ran across two boxes of Scirocco's. I thought, I need to work a load with these.
So there you go..

Have a good hunting season.
Be safe.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
goodshot, I use them in my 338-06 AI. They are 210 gr. I shot a large bull elk last fall at about 50 yds. Recovered bullets weighed 196 gr and were text book mushrooms. I have no problems with these bullets matching velocities of other brands. They grouped well and terminal performance was second to none.
Strongly recommend them if you can get them to shoot.

Last edited by lagerboy; 10/11/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no use for them.

Unfortunately.

Can't get them to shoot and have seen the results and damage done to game shot with them.

Might as well shoot New Ballistic Tip. Accurate. Toughened up

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have seen them used on two Elk, they both died.

One DRT the other shot twice, I think he was dead on his feet with the first shot. The second shot hit him he walked about twenty feet and feel over.
Bullet was the 180 grain SS shot out of a 300 Wby.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,067 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.