24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite upland game gun is my Sauer drilling with it's 24" barrels!

The 20 ga Ugar. has 24" bbls. The Bernadelli's are long at 27.5".

I like them all.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is the best type of non-toxic shot available to run through an older double? I have an Elsie and am looking at maybe a Sauer drilling to use at the lease. We always have a few ducks in on our tanks late in the season.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Every Crescent I've seen around has been shot loose. They certainly do wear out. Same for the Savage 311s that I've come across recently.

I'd vote the newer CZ models with the crossbolt for a well-proportioned gun that will stay tight for a lot of shooting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you handload, Ballistic Products ITX Original shot is excellent non-toxic shot for older doubles. If not, Kent Tungsten Matrix is good but really pricey--and Bismuth shot is back again in ammo made by the Spanish company Rio. It's also pretty pricey.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I bought a very nice Miroku 20ga side by side (not Charles Daly marked) with dual triggers choked full and improved cylinder for $300 a few years back. Deals are out there to be had. The store had it marked low because, according to them, nobody wanted a shotgun with two triggers and extractors.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is one reason that combination is my favorite. Though I also find two triggers and extractors generally more desirable in the field. Two triggers provide an instantaneous choice of barrel/choke, which can be handy in some hunting, and extractors are somewhat handier for those of us who bring back all our empties, for whatever reason.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I appreciate the utility of ejectors on a double, but I doubt I'll ever own one so equipped unless I get a ridiculous deal on a desirable gun. For hunting, I'm going to be taking my empties home with me so less time hunched over looking in the tall-grass for the hulls is a good thing. For high volume shooting (if I ever get a chance to do so; haven't yet) where speed of reloading is a factor, I'd likely get a Benelli semi-auto and call it good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I bought a very nice Miroku 20ga side by side (not Charles Daly marked) with dual triggers choked full and improved cylinder for $300 a few years back. Deals are out there to be had. The store had it marked low because, according to them, nobody wanted a shotgun with two triggers and extractors.

I have one of the same Miroku Double SXS shotguns , like new, but in 12 ga.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by Oregon45

I have one of the same Miroku Double SXS shotguns , like new, but in 12 ga.

bought a 12 ga model off of the fire here just a couple months ago to be used as a gift for my son who is finishing up his Eagle Scout rank. made a dandy gift!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is one reason that combination is my favorite. Though I also find two triggers and extractors generally more desirable in the field. Two triggers provide an instantaneous choice of barrel/choke, which can be handy in some hunting, and extractors are somewhat handier for those of us who bring back all our empties, for whatever reason.

Exactly.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Passed an SKB in a rack about 10 years back. Price was right but I already had an early Fox w 30 inch tubes that I liked very much.
Bought a Churchill 10 ga 32 inch after not buying a Stoger Zypher I looked at about 9 times. No comparing the two. But I do love wacking a goose with that blaster now and then in the corn. I read way too many Sherman Bell articles on the big ten and just feel the need to load for one cause I can.
Close friend has his grandfathers Stevens. It came down thru the inlaws side of his family. We call it the cloud duster after his granddad and it gets an annual hunt for the memories.
Taking out any of these and breaking a clay target or twenty always gets a conversation going. Much more so than any OU I own.
Enjoy your choice.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.