Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, we made our annual pilgrimage to Wyoming to chase some lopes and enjoy some time away from busy jobs and home lives. This year we were hunting a new unit and had only 2.5 days to tag out. The aspens were just starting to turn and we awoke the first morning to beautiful terrain and nearby bulls bugling. We had heard from the local ranger and other locals that numbers were quite down and good bucks were really hard to come by - so we mentally prepared ourselves for this reality and went afield ready to take what we could find.

Day 1:
After stopping to watch a heard of elk move through, my buddy spotted a small heard of lope on a distant ridge about a mile way. Through the spotter he made out what looked to be a decent buck, and given the beautiful terrain and outlook on the numbers - we decided to go after it. So, down into a canyon, across a few forks of the river, and up the other side through the aspens full of elk we went. Once we neared the top of the ridge that gave way into a bowl in which we saw the antelope heading for we got ready.

I am generally first shooter (or right of denial) as I now fly in from MI and the rest of our crew lives in/near Denver. So I get ready with my shooting sticks and we pop over the crest.
There they are, at 175 yards just looking at us. I get my scope on the buck but I have the "first-shooter-shakes" and just don't feel good about it and elect to pass. Then the group hightails it up higher into the bowl.

After about 1 minute I realize that I have calmed down and was pissed I passed up a shot at a mature goat on a low numbers year. So, I whip the bi-pod out of my pack, screw it on and go prone with my lumbar pack as a rear rest. My buddies are ranging the buck at 507 with my Leica 1200, so I dial the CDS to 490 to compensate for the uphill shot and settled it. I felt super steady and there was no hint of wind. He was at ease and feeding and slightly quartering away facing right. I fire - coming out of the recoil in time to see a reaction to a hit and he runs about 20-30 yards and pauses, quartering slightly away and left - I fire again. Another hit and he drops.

Turns out both were perfect hits going in behind the shoulder and out the neck - and so the shots both criss-crossed the vitals leaving two 2" exit holes out both sides of the neck. I was pleased with the bullet performance and placement. We dressed him out and quartered him as the sun continued to rise. The hike back was long, but we were all smiles.

[Linked Image]

(My favorite pic of the trip)
[Linked Image]

Gear:
Win 70, Classic SS short action
23" Pac-Nor in 308 win
Mickey Bridges Pattern EDGE
PT&G bottom metal
VX3 2.5-8x36 CDS
155 Scenar, Varget, Lapua brass

Next up was my buddy Brian who got on a nice buck on a small tract of state land, right off the main road and dropped him at 206 yards. Drove the truck right up to him, cracked a beer and dressed it from the tailgate hoist with some J. Cash playing in the background...livin' well.

[Linked Image]
Marlin XS7 - 308 Win
165gr Hornady BTSP/Varget
VX2 2-7x33 CDS

Next up we spotted some does on state land and my other buddy did not feel comfortable with the distance with his new rig only a few weeks old and sighted in the day before - so I opted to take a poke with my new rifle that just so happened to shoot a VERY tight group with the first plain jane factory fodder that I tried the week prior.
So, this little lady succumbed to a rifle that had waited 55 years for it's first kill.

[Linked Image]

1958 Model 70 Featherweight
270 Win
6x36 LRD
130 win PPs
393 yards

Day 2:
Snow - hail - sleet - 50mph winds
But, with an area rich with broken and varied terrain we were able to stalk within 150-175 yards for both of my buddies other tags and were tagged out by 1pm and headed for camp and a nice 12yr single malt around the campfire.

[Linked Image]
Marlin XS7 - 308

[Linked Image]
Model 70 SS Classic
30-06
165 SST's
Conquest 3-9x40
This doe was taken while bedded after an epic stalk down a drainage through some dense brush. A great end to the hunt.

Next year through - we might try for elk in this same area if we can draw tags.

Here's to another year of lopes in the books!

Last edited by tdn; 10/16/13.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice story and photos! Congratulations.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I love that pic too.

Great report & pics; sure looks like an incredible experience!

J
JLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Congrats on the hunt. Looks like you guys were efficient!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done you guys - envious of all that made it to Wyoming this year, 1st year I may not make it.

Congrats on some fine antelopes!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JLF

True, all of us with wives and little kids at home make the best use of every minute.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I should add that after the hunt got started we saw a decent number of animals - you could definitely tell numbers were down with does, but we saw a TON of bucks almost everywhere.

Oh, and on the morning of day 3 another bud drove up from Denver and he and I got on a REALLy nice buck at 90 yards... and he missed! And then we found out why. His scope had taken a crap and was toast - blurry, squiggly crosshairs etc. (Vortex Crossfire) So, he is going again next weekend for a 1 day shot at em. But, I doubt he'll find that big guy again...

Last edited by tdn; 10/15/13.

J
JLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by tdn
Originally Posted by JLF

True, all of us with wives and little kids at home make the best use of every minute.

Understand fully. Buddy and I just did the same in about a 5 day span. 2 bucks, 2 does and a few trout in between. Gotta get it while you can!

TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JLF
Originally Posted by tdn
Originally Posted by JLF

Understand fully. Buddy and I just did the same in about a 5 day span. 2 bucks, 2 does and a few trout in between. Gotta get it while you can!

No doubt brother - make it happen!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tdn
and he runs about 20-30 years

He don't look a day over Four. Aged well, he did.....grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great hunt report. It looks like you all had a ton of fun. Nice speed goats, too!! Glad to see the '58 M70 .270 out there!! smile

Eric

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats.

TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by tdn
and he runs about 20-30 years

He don't look a day over Four. Aged well, he did.....grin

Hahaha, thanks huntsman - fixed it, but had a great laugh this morning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tdn, good tale and pics. I chuckled at the 20-30 year thing ....

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice photos.. Thanks..

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
511 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 49 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.