Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shod

Good tip, I will watch for it next trip - though like I say, when the barrel warms up it starts stacking them.

If it stacks em when the barrel warms up you most likely need a seating depth adjustment and it'll fix your cold bore problem.

Shod
[/quote]

seating to mag box length, but reckon I could try a little shorter.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tex....in several rifles that I have where the mag is the constraint I've seated bullets deeper to clean up a horizontal spread. Last rifle was getting a 2 " cold bore horizontal spread with a seating depth of 3.420 then would shoot under 3/4" after it warmed up.I ended up at 3.320 with cold bore groups just under 1/2 inch.

Shod

Last edited by Shod; 10/23/13.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems I remember a certain unnamed Texican taking a .375 H&H Talkeetna to the Dark Continent... cool

The dumb SOB is damn lucky he survived and didn't get eaten by the lions. Everyone knows Kimbers are dog sheit and don't feed/extract properly, let alone shoot straight... he was pushing his luck and tempting fate! whistle

Of course, that identity is strictly classified... cool

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, has anyone ever put a pressure point between the barrel & forend of a Montana, and if so, did it help?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
So, has anyone ever put a pressure point between the barrel & forend of a Montana, and if so, did it help?

Blasphemy.

If I wanted to do something different other than bedding the action and shank, I'd neutral-bed the entire barrel ala Melvin Forbes.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Brad you poor clueless [bleep],stick with what you know...which is licking windows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boxer
Brad you poor clueless [bleep],stick with what you know...which is licking windows.

Wow, so you'd put a pressure point in a Kimber MT?

Only a completely clueless idiot would do something that dumb... I expected better of you.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You remain at the mercy of your "means","abilities" and "comprehension" and it's always [bleep] hilarious,when you Pretend a clue.

Do I drive Montuckys wearing pressure points? More than a few.

As per always,you are doing "great".

Laffin'!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You remain at the mercy of your "means","abilities" and "comprehension" and it's always [bleep] hilarious,when you Pretend a clue.

Do I drive Montuckys wearing pressure points? More than a few.

As per always,you are doing "great".

Laffin'!

Pressure points are for those that can't fathom how to get a rifle to shoot without resorting to "tricks"... you are obviously dumber than you seem. But then, you're a Remington disciple and they DO love their pressure points... nothing makes a mediocre barrel shoot better!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Brad,

LOVE the Whine.

In fairness,I have owned a Remington and if I recall,perhaps another Make/Model or two.

Results are never a "trick",but I groove on getting "advice" from a Windowlicker in a Burger King hairnet,wearing her tinfoil hat and drinking purple KoolAid from a sippy cup.

It remains a shame,that you are too [bleep] Stupid,to have even the foggiest notion of how incredibly [bleep] stupid you are.

Musta missed it,which Montuckys are you Pretending to shoot now? I lose track of your Imagination,just like you do.

Laffin'!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you do resort to pressure points... too funny.

World class rifleman... not.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I "resort" to results,with boring regularity. Give it a whirl sometime.

In fairness...I've never seen anyone better with a rifle than I.

Your insecurities as per always,are VERY wellfounded.

Bless your heart.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I "resort" to results,with boring regularity. Give it a whirl sometime.

In fairness...I've never seen anyone better with a rifle than I.

Your insecurities as per always,are VERY wellfounded.

Bless your heart.

Funny... a guy that lives in AK and can pull any over-the-counter tag, yet only shoots black tail deer and black bears... the stuff that make their living on logging roads.

Where are the mountain goats, sheep, bull moose, elk, grizzlies, brown bears?

You're lazy...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well rifles weren't working for you and them insecurities were tough to stomach,even from afar. Now you are more than a touch disgruntled that Burger King "benefits",preclude you from chasing Critters?!?

What were the "odds"?!?

Looking forward to the next Whine.

Laffin'!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still wondering, lazy boy, where are all the Alaskan Trophies you should have?

You're all talk... pretty plain to see for those that have watched your spasms over the last 12 years.

And any dumbazz can rust-out a rifle... that's the stuff that marines get washed out for. You've turned it into bragging rights. Talk about upside down... you're the King.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have several relatively light for their chamberings, custom-bedded hunting rifles, in major rounds such as the .338WM, the 9,3x62 and .300 and .375 H&H, that have been fully bedded, with "neutral" barrel channel pressure, by some of the top guys in the trade...Martini Gunmakers, is among these.

My Dakota 76-.338WM, my matched pair of factory 9,3x62s, original Brno ZG-47s, and most of my near mint P-64 Mod. 70s are done this way and ALL of these shoot consistently sub-moa with hunting loads, mostly boring old Nossy Pts, at "fast" for cartridge velocities.

Now, with almost 56 years of rather intense rifle shooting, about 150 rifles owned, loaded for and shot and after major culling recently, still 27 functional bolt guns, three actions abuilding and three other CF rifles in my two safes, I am NOT an "expert" and most here know far more than I ever shall, however, the finest smiths, most experienced users of rifles and many others I respect ALL recommend full, neutral bedding and I now have this done to any new piece that I obtain.

As to Kimbers, I was at my Vancouver, BC, gunstore, today, to pickup my fine, matched pair of P-64 "H&H" rifles and my custom Merkel drilling as they were not selling while there on consignment. They showed me a Kimber rifle, a 7RM, in a fine laminated stock, heavy fluted sts tube and CM action, heavy, but, a nice "feel" t it and only $1399.00 retail......VERY impressed and, were I younger, I WOULD buy it, have it punched to the 7-Mashburn and load 160 NPs/ABs for some of the West Kootenay elk situations I have encountered.

I actually wish they would make this in a NON-"freebore" .300 Roy, and also offer an adjustable comb with the lam. stock....which, I REALLY liked.

I can see a Montana in .25-06 in my future, but, wish they would offer a floorplate option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

well, I have 4 weekends left to try & get this Montana shooting better, and it ain't getting rebarreled in 4 weeks, so a pressure point it gets, along with more load development. smirk

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by Brad

well, I have 4 weekends left to try & get this Montana shooting better, and it ain't getting rebarreled in 4 weeks, so a pressure point it gets, along with more load development. smirk

Guess Mel Forbes is an idiot...

I'd neutral bed long before I'd [bleep] up a Kimber with a pressure point.

Course, I'd work on load development before I did either...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've boken alotta follower springs in my time,but that was the first one to snap into (3) pieces.

It's currently The Record,though they ain't settin' idle.(grin)

You see that with springs that are under tension, and in a corrosive environment (splashed with salt water?). The stress & corrosion feed on one another, and failure is rapid.

The other thing, when you electrically connect dis-similar metals, and put them in a corrosive fluid, the more active metal corrodes faster, and the less active corrodes even slower. That's how zincs on a boat motor work.

You also have a large area of stainless (barrel & action) connected to a small area of carbon steel (the spring) and the relative area of the two metals also speeds the corrosion of the active metal. Kimber probably saved a whole dollar using carbon steel for the spring smirk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was thinking bedding I would be inclined to bed the tang and recoil lug and try it out. If still not to my satisfaction I would add pieces of credit card ala temporary pressure point and shoot again. If she shoots I would add pressure to the forened via bedding.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,468 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.