Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by carbon12

My 1950s era M37 12 ga would function slickity snick with target loads but would hang up tight as Chinese finger cuffs with short mags. Turned out to be a roughly machined chamber. Polishing the chamber solved the problem. Seems to have happened with a few other older M37s too, if some posts on ShotgunWorld.com are to be counted.

Just saw your response to me, thanks. What did you use to polish the chamber? Admittedly, I haven't spent much time trying to decipher what is going on. Might have to pull it out of the safe in the morning. Only a month away from dove season.....

A slotted wooden dowel and a 1/2" drill motor. Medium grit wet/dry paper backed with foam to provide pressure against the chamber wall. started with 100 with Kroil and worked down to 200.

It is essentially a home-made flex-hone.

Yep.. But I keep going through 400 grit... Some shotgun chambers, I swear, musta been done at the factory with a dull knife.. laugh

Just got around to doing this tonight.

I think the phrase is called "slicker than greased owl crap".

Thanks guys.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A week ago I received my 37 16ga I got off of GB. The seller said it looked have been bought new and used very little. I have to agree. I am amazed how smooth the action is. The trigger pull was a bit heavy. I took the trigger assembly apart and found a burr on the inside of the trigger guard next to the bolt release slot. I removed it and all is well. smile

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 20ga in the deerslayer model with a smooth bore and have shot several deer with it. It's my primary deer gun even tho I have a couple of others with rifled barrels. It handles well and operates so smoothly and it's lightweight in comparison to the remington auto and winchester pump.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
They are wonderful. (You are to be commended for spelling "Ithaca" correctly.)

I have 5 or 6 of them and still try to spell it "Ithica" about half the time! LOL

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a nice 16 gauge. Ok gun but I've often considered selling it, always felt a little butt stock heavy to me. Guess I could remedy that will some hollowing out of the butt stock, just haven't gotten around to it.

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Ithaca has had some financial problems in the past and it showed in some of the guns they made. The older 1950's guns can be wonderful ( I still remember the 16ga I used to borrow from a neighbor when I was a kid, worked like a watch and I killed a pile of stuff with it) but some of the guns made in the 70's had lots of problems. I remember two guns that would eject a empty and dump the next unfired shell on the ground at the same time. The factory never could make the guns 100% reliable. The other thing is that barrels are not always interchangeable even when they are supposed to be. Not sure what the current mfg guns are like.
If I came across a older gun ( pre pressed checkering with the small grooved forearm) I would be thinking hard about bringing it home with me.
Also, the older Remington model 17 (made in 20ga only) is the older brother & clone to the model 37. I still have one with a 28" barrel & factory cyl bore that goes out on occasion for birds over a dog.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would just take my time until I found a good OLDER pump gun. I don't think much of what is new on the market. My 20/16 pump gun list would be:

Model 12 Win (not Nickle steel 1912) short grooved flat bottom forend
Model 31 Rem preferably Lt over standard
Model 37 Ithaca (older model with ser# on front of receiver and on the barrel)
Model 17 Rem like Ken mentioned (only one extractor compared to 37 that has two)

G2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.