Hop To
#8192287 10/26/13
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Did they produce the AV into the 1990s? When did the 75 first show up? I may be going to look at an un-fired AV 270 today. Some say they are the last of the "good" Sakos. I'm not sure what they mean by that,I never had a Sako. Several T3 Tikkas,but no Sako. I may have to bring it home if it feels right. What's up with "Garcia"? What bearing does that have on the Sako rifles?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AV Sakos are still great guns. Even the 75 is a good gun and you wouldn't be disappointed. As for the latest that they have become, I have lost interest and I wouldn't own one of the later models.

Garcia is an Importer that stamped the bottom of the barrel as such, the rifles were still being made by Sako in Finland. After Garcia stopped importing, Stoeger took over and they did the same thing by stamping the bottom of the barrel "Stoeger" and later stamped the side of the barrel.

If the gun is a fit for you and the price what you consider good, buy it, you won't be disappointed...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why aren't you out fishing?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel
If the gun is a fit for you and the price what you consider good, buy it, you won't be disappointed...

This ^^^^^

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm pretty sure the 75s were first produced in 1998.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As I recall, the A series are considered to be, among collectors and shooters alike, the pinnacle of Sako production. Using a combination of CNC, standard machining, and hand fitting, the A series utilized the best technology of the day for precise operations, while still remaining loyal to the design.
The 75, not so much. Design was sacrificed for an increase in automated operations in order to cut costs. The 85, even more so.

I also believe you simply won't find a better crafted "mass" produced rifle, for most any price, as the Sako A series.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks all. I went and took a look at the A5. It is in fact a virgin. Still in the care of the original owner. I was a little surprised that the wood to metal fit was pretty bad,and the stock was anything but special. Stoeger stamped. I told the seller I'd think on it a bit. The metal was beautiful. Nice tight.slick action. I suppose I could drop it in a McMillan at some point if it turned out to be a shooter. We will sleep on it and see how it feels tomorrow.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rman
As I recall, the A series are considered to be, among collectors and shooters alike, the pinnacle of Sako production. Using a combination of CNC, standard machining, and hand fitting, the A series utilized the best technology of the day for precise operations, while still remaining loyal to the design.
The 75, not so much. Design was sacrificed for an increase in automated operations in order to cut costs. The 85, even more so.

I also believe you simply won't find a better crafted "mass" produced rifle, for most any price, as the Sako A series.

R.

That's interesting Rman, I had heard the L61Rs were the best from a collectability and quality perspective. I'm sure the folks over on Sako Collectors Forum could give us the answer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought mine new in the box in the late 80's, Stoeger marked. I believe that the AV series went to about 1990. Beautiful rifle, accurate etc. They are a bit heavy, and the stock finish made me think about taking it on a hard hunt.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Own two myself a .270 Classic Hunter stocked and .280 stocked with the typical Monte Carlo comb cheek piece and palm swell. Both shoot WELL under 1 MOA if I do my part. If I ever find one of these in .270 Wtby. or .300 Wtby., well you know......

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The A series is the pinnacle of SAKO. I own three, one each AII, AIII, and AV.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Typical wood on all of my A's. Like the feel of the palm swell.

[Linked Image]
But it is the metal work that really sets the A's apart from the rest.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I guess I am the odd man. I own some A's, 75's and 85's. I like them all. But my 85's are lighter and slightly more accurate than my 75's or A's.

When push comes to shove I will take a 85 over the others for a hunting gun (Today anyway. It's subject to change though)

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have one Sako, an AV left hand 338 WinMag deluxe. I took that pretty wood off it the minute it came out of the box and put on a McMillan. After 25 years, it's still my go to rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Love the A series myself. Currently without one, but that will change!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I still love the L61?a series. I have an A1 in 223 & 6mmppc. 2 Aiii in 30'06 & 1 AV in 270. Below is a early AIII in a Classic stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by gahuntertom; 10/29/13.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice indeed. Only thing I would want is the scope moved forward, I am a stock crawler!
I'd really love a 7-08 in a classic or fiberclass, what a great deer rifle that would be.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
GA..tom,

Very nice Sako classic, one of my favorites.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 44mc, 1eyedmule, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,293 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.