Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have several Estwing hatchets and axes.
American made, affordable, and every bit as good as their hammers.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I have several Estwing hatchets and axes.
American made, affordable, and every bit as good as their hammers.

And it is darn hard to break a handle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kind of hard to carve a new handle too!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most bang for the buck.. from Sweden.

Husky

Can be had for around $35..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-wildlife-hatchet/

That one is hard to beat. I have it and the small version of it.

Stush
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have two Wetterlings. One a 12 inch handle, the other 19. They are Swedish, hand forged and priced right. For a number of years, they have done anything asked of them.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snow & Neally are absoulte JUNK now. Made in China.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about a good hatchet INJURY story?

I have seen many inept or inexperienced outdoorsman chop and whack themselves with the short axe!!!

Mike laugh

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Gransfors, Wetterlings/Husqy, Norlund, all the high dollar Swedish ones are good+.

If you want a great hatchet that will chop as good as the high dollar ones and won't break the bank, this one is by FAR the best IMO. Fiskars made in Finland. There is no hatchet made even close to as good at this price point and YOU CAN buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. Here is one the many great reviews you will find on it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/837501-REVIEW-The-new-Fiskars-X7-14-quot-Hatchet

If you search, you can find lots of reviews on it comparing it very favorably to the high dollar Swedish models.............

The Fiskars/Gerber ones are great. Stay sharp for a long time and the handle seems robust. I've chopped a lot of campfire wood with mine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

I have seen many inept or inexperienced outdoorsman chop and whack themselves with the short axe!!!

Mike laugh

funny you brought that up.

Yesterday, while camping in the Ocala NF, I was using the 19 inch ax to cut up some kindling. A piece flew up, and smacked me in the face. Thank goodness I was at least wearing my safety goggles.
Hit me in the eye, then skidded off the goggles to gouge my forehead.
Since I take blood thinners for the ticker, I bled like a damn stuck pig for half an hour until I could get that under control.
Wore a large compress the rest of the day. Now, it's just a lump with a huge scab.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And they sharpen easily as well. I know they are drop-forged stainless. Maybe Swedish Sandvik steel........

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
There are some great U tube videos on how to use an ax properly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Mike laugh

How about this one: wink

It must have been around 1978. I was hunting to the western foothills of the Cascades in search of a nice blacktail buck and I had a bear tag in my pocket just in case. The trees were still big back in those days and the brush was thick but I kept on walking in the deep forest toward a brighter looking place ahead of me. Suddenly I found myself in a natural meadow where the grass was over knee high and there were ancient apple and pear trees loaded with fall fruit.

Knowing deer and bears both cannot resist a good apple I stood and watched the meadow for wildlife for an hour of more before cautiously working my way into the old orchard.

I marveled at the fortitude of the early western settlers and wondered who had homestead this meadow and planted these trees. I found the fallen remains of an old cabin and barn. Then I saw it, my heart was broken, there laying partially under a huge hand hewn beam from the barn was an old hatchet, it's handle broken and mostly rotted away. An injured hatchet, laying under that huge beam for untold years with no one to help it. I was snapped into action and began digging with my hands to see if I could rescue it and perhaps with modern hatchet medical care it might live once again but when I got it uncovered I saw the eye had been split and there was no life left in the old tool.

It is buried in an unmarked grave there among the apple and pear trees. I hope it finds peace.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F

Mike laugh

How about this one: wink

It must have been around 1978. I was hunting to the western foothills of the Cascades in search of a nice blacktail buck and I had a bear tag in my pocket just in case. The trees were still big back in those days and the brush was thick but I kept on walking in the deep forest toward a brighter looking place ahead of me. Suddenly I found myself in a natural meadow where the grass was over knee high and there were ancient apple and pear trees loaded with fall fruit.

Knowing deer and bears both cannot resist a good apple I stood and watched the meadow for wildlife for an hour of more before cautiously working my way into the old orchard.

I marveled at the fortitude of the early western settlers and wondered who had homestead this meadow and planted these trees. I found the fallen remains of an old cabin and barn. Then I saw it, my heart was broken, there laying partially under a huge hand hewn beam from the barn was an old hatchet, it's handle broken and mostly rotted away. An injured hatchet, laying under that huge beam for untold years with no one to help it. I was snapped into action and began digging with my hands to see if I could rescue it and perhaps with modern hatchet medical care it might live once again but when I got it uncovered I saw the eye had been split and there was no life left in the old tool.

It is buried in an unmarked grave there among the apple and pear trees. I hope it finds peace.

That's a cool story Scott. Thanks.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have two Wetterlings. One a 12 inch handle, the other 19. They are Swedish, hand forged and priced right. For a number of years, they have done anything asked of them.
[Linked Image]

+1

have been carrying these same axes for about 6 years now......damn good steel for the money!

Last edited by frogman43; 11/02/13.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SBTCO
American made choices. Nothing wrong with the Gransfors but more coin and a little too hard for my liking in an axe. I have used both the Peavey and Snow and Neally. The Peavey is the best buy and use a Hudson Bay pattern for the last several years splitting fire wood before it comes into the house. The S&N have been inconsistent in quality. I have one that is really good and couple others that weren't worth the money. I have heard good things about Council, but not used one as yet.

http://store.peaveymfg.com/cart/category/2021/Axe_Line/1/

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=17HB18

http://cspoutdoors.com/snowneallyaxes.html

Unfortunatly S&N are no longer US made:( I'd look at Counsel.

+1 on the old Plumb if you can find one.

Another favorite of mine (especially for camping) is the traditional leather handled Estwing.
They're cheap enough, US made, and NEVER wear out.
Heck,,,, if ya look around No NV enough ya might even find one of several I've misplaced over the years.

http://www.amazon.com/Estwing-E24A-Sportsmans-Hatchet-Handle/dp/B0002JT0BO/ref=pd_sim_lg_3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
And they sharpen easily as well. I know they are drop-froged stainless. Maybe Swedish Sandvik steel........

I just use a bastard file for the bad spots and clean it up with a tool stone. And that's not often I do even that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kept a 18" Estwing in my pickup's about 40 years now. I think the ones sold now are 16"
It'll cut wood or split a elk's brisket, kinda noisy when you drive stakes, but I would buy another in a NY minute.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Still using my boy scout Plumb hatchet that I have had almost forever! "Be Prepared"!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,022 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.