24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
sig Offline OP
OP Offline
We all know that barrel temperature can cause a big shift in POI in a rifle. What about a pistol? What about a long barrelled pistol (7.5", 9.5")? When does it become significant? What have those of you with lots of experience seen in this regard?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sig
<br>I dont have an answer for you . I wish I did. I am working with an engineer freind of mine and he is doing some testing on the effects of temperature. Something I have always wondered about is with a scope mounted on the reciever in say 70 degree weather both would be a certain length. Drop 50 degrees from that and will the aluminum contract at exactly the same rate as steel ? Is there enough difference to matter ? What effect does it have on the scope ? Point of impact ? If the scope contracts more than the reciever does the scope bend or slide inside the rings ? Hopefully pretty soon I will have some good solid data to support whatever we find. I do know that you can take a Remington factory gun and torque the barrel to say 100 foot pounds at 80 degrees then heat the barreled action to about 300 degrees and get an average of about an eighth of a turn ! Enough to get the headspace way out. Why would I try this ? To find out if the threaded joint is stable at that temperature. If its not then the barrel can move around slightly inside the reciever ring. Not good for accuracy. I will post the results when I get them.
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie,
<br>
<br>What about Harold Vaughn's idea to use ramp threads? Would this be a more stable joint?
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang Charlie, now you done went and gave me ideas that are going to keep me awake at night. After lapping in my rings and shimming the mounts I have to worry if the things are expanding at the same rate when they get hot or cold. What's that going to do to my accuracy? How long before it just pulls my scope in two? What am I going to do now? [Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The handguns that I think of as handguns -- omitting, that is, the XP-100s, Contenders, and Encores with long RIFLE barrels and cartridges -- all have short barrels and fire moderate-pressure cartridges. Therefore, I'd expect their drastically reduced barrel time and barrel droop, as well as their significantly lower maximum peak pressures, to have negligible effects in comparison with those typical with rifle barrels and cartridges.
<br>
<br>But this is just my conjecture. I don't know and have no way to tell how accurate it may be.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

sig Offline OP
OP Offline
My original post was prompted from what could be direct observation of POI shift with tempertature. Certainly the POI was shifted but was it temperature or perhaps my hand was getting tired and my aim was getting sloppy. I was shooting a SRH in 454 Casull with a 7.5" barrel. If I had a vise I could lock it up in and try it that way, I would know - maybe someone else has done this?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sig
<br>Sorry for making a response that had little to do with your post. Part of my brain and hands were thinking one thing and the majority of my brain was asleep. I will try to do better.
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
sig Offline OP
OP Offline
Charlie,
<br>
<br>No need to apologize for an interesting post. Please let us know what you learn about the temperature effects on the scope.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

573 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,301
Posts18,449,049
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.