Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry, I'm not impressed.
Bequette published the Article, he read the article, he knew what was in the article, he knew what the article meant, IMO he Agrees with the Article. Then when his subscribers get pissed, he fires the author of the article. That's pretty Chicken [bleep].

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Metcalf is gone, we have enough problems trying to protect out rights, we don't need people like him writing anti Second Amendment articles in the future.

Then Berquette, throws us another bone saying he is resigning as well. Well, not really resigning because of his actions, just resigning a few day/weeks early. Thanks for nothin.

IMO there is no apology that can fix the damage this article will generate. The Antis and the Bradys will wave this article in our faces for months to come.

Last edited by steve4102; 11/07/13.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read Metcaff's article last night, twice. If you read it carefully, all he was trying to say is everything in the world has rules attached to it, and he didn't have a problem with Illinois requiring 16 hours of instruction prior to getting a CCW permit.

His point was he believed some training in firearms safety and handling was reasonable a not an infringement. He closed by saying "that's just me" on the subject. I don't have a problem with the discussion. It's a valid discussion.

Problem is that it was far too easy for the ANTI's to grab that and make a headline a la:
"GUNS and AMMO Supports Gun Control".

Metcaff thought he was writing only to savvy gun owners on a mutual topic of interest. In reality, his was a political Op Ed that he is not prepared to defend once it is dissected and misrepresented now, and for years to come.

Metcaff overstepped his boundaries without realizing the consequences. He knows now.

I wouldn't have fired him, I'd have made him write a retraction.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by steve4102
Sorry, I'm not impressed.
Bequette published the Article, he read the article, he knew what was in the article, he knew what the article meant, IMO he Agrees with the Article. Then when his subscribers get pissed, he fires the author of the article. That's pretty Chicken [bleep].

The dude (Bequette) resigned (was forced out) along with firing Metcalf, how is that chicken shyt? He fell on the same sword he used on Metcalf.

From Jim Bequette, editor, �Guns & Ammo� Magazine:

As editor of �Guns & Ammo,� I owe each and every reader a personal apology.

No excuses, no backtracking.

Dick Metcalf�s �Backstop� column in the December issue has aroused unprecedented controversy. Readers are hopping mad about it, and some are questioning �Guns & Ammo��s commitment to the Second Amendment. I understand why.

Let me be clear: Our commitment to the Second Amendment is unwavering. It has been so since the beginning. Historically, our tradition in supporting the Second Amendment has been unflinching. No strings attached. It is no accident that when others in the gun culture counseled compromise in the past, hard-core thinkers such as Harlon Carter, Don Kates and Neal Knox found a place and a voice in these pages. When large firearms advocacy groups were going soft in the 1970s, they were prodded in the right direction, away from the pages of �Guns & Ammo.�

In publishing Metcalf�s column, I was untrue to that tradition, and for that I apologize. His views do not represent mine � nor, most important, �Guns & Ammo��s. It is very clear to me that they don�t reflect the views of our readership either.

Dick Metcalf has had a long and distinguished career as a gunwriter, but his association with �Guns & Ammo� has officially ended.

I once again offer my personal apology. I understand what our valued readers want. I understand what you believe in when it comes to gun rights, and I believe the same thing.

I made a mistake by publishing the column. I thought it would generate a healthy exchange of ideas on gun rights. I miscalculated, pure and simple. I was wrong, and I ask your forgiveness.

Plans were already in place for a new editor to take the reins of �Guns & Ammo� on January 1. However, these recent events have convinced me that I should advance that schedule immediately.

Your new �Guns & Ammo� editor will be Eric R. Poole, who has so effectively been running our special interest publications, such as �Book of the AR-15� and �TRIGGER.� You will be hearing much more about this talented editor soon.

�Guns & Ammo� will never fail to vigorously lead the struggle for our Second Amendment rights, and with vigorous young editorial leadership such as Eric�s, it will be done even better in the future.

Respectfully,

Jim Bequette

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/11/06/response-december-2013-backpage-column/

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I recall correctly,this will be the second time in Metcalfe's gun writing career that he has been dismissed for an error in judgement.

The first,if I recall correctly involved issues with checking accounts that he opened for a Smith and Wesson sponsored match,in which money was diverted from real accounts that required cosigners to Metcalfe's account.

Smith and Wesson pulled their sponsorship,and an article was published detailing the whole mess.

It has been a few years and the details of all this are hard for me to recall,but if I am right,this is not the first time Dick has been fired as a gun writer.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 11/07/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You ain't gonna get an honest product review from any of them, period...

They beat around the bush, carefully wording everything. It's the same old generic crap you see so much you can recite it in your sleep. sleep

Praise, followed by a minor critique with a big "But" at the end, closely followed by more praise...

Predictable, boring and usually a waste of eyesight.

I'd much rather ask a friend who has spent coin to buy the item and used it, than rely on some gun rag that lives off advertising dollars to give me the straight skinny on a piece of equipment.

That goes double when it's a product from one of their major advertisers.

This board has been infinitely more valuable when it comes to opinions on products than all the gun rags in history put together.

The old Soviet news agency TASS had about as much credibility as these gun mag reviews do nowadays..

I look forward to what JB, Wayne Van zwoll have to say and that's just about it.
I have to agree with this. I very, very seldom buy a gun magazine anymore. Plus there is the fact that magazines and paperbacks, the latter especially, have doubled in price in the past few years. You pay more and get less.

I haven't read one in years. All they are is advertising for sponsors.

When's the last time you read a negative review of any product they talk about? I swear you could put a brand name on a pile of dog crap and they'd say it was just as good as anything they've seen.

I'm glad they got rid of him, but it ain't gonna make me put money in their product.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have taken one of their sister publications, shotgun news, for probably 25 or 30 years. Since the parent corporation, also of guns and ammo bought it, i see quite a few shill articles as i call them appearing, shilling for various manufacturers. They still do have good articles on military weapons around the world, and of course i like to peruse the advertisers. But you can sure see the effect of the parent corporation. I also have a friend that writes for a major gun related magazine. I have heard his complaints about articles submitted being butchered by the editor in charge. Some here could probably relate to that. The forum is a real good source of real information, which is one of the reasons i stay here, other than the entertainment factor.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/07/13.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
I read Metcaff's article last night, twice. If you read it carefully, all he was trying to say is everything in the world has rules attached to it, and he didn't have a problem with Illinois requiring 16 hours of instruction prior to getting a CCW permit.

His point was he believed some training in firearms safety and handling was reasonable a not an infringement. He closed by saying "that's just me" on the subject. I don't have a problem with the discussion. It's a valid discussion.

Problem is that it was far too easy for the ANTI's to grab that and make a headline a la:

Metcaff thought he was writing only to savvy gun owners on a mutual topic of interest. In reality, his was a political Op Ed that he is not prepared to defend once it is dissected and misrepresented now, and for years to come.

Metcaff overstepped his boundaries without realizing the consequences. He knows now.

Huge's thread on the paradox of liberty sort of fits in here.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there a link to the article? I haven't bought gun rags in years.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

He and the editor can GFT.

Making a living off the gun industry while typing out their stupid ass, leftist, holier-than-thou, thoughts is completely unacceptable.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

He and the editor can GFT.

Making a living off the gun industry while typing out their stupid ass, leftist, holier-than-thou, thoughts is completely unacceptable.

Travis

They should publish a retraction

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by temmi

They should publish a retraction

The magazine certainly should.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't read the column... Truth be told, I quit reading anything my Metcalf when H&K released the USP and he made a bunch of highly technical stuff sound like his original work, and then a couple of months later, I read the same thing, virtually word for word, from a USP brochure. Probably not technically dishonest, but certainly blurring the lines. I thought he was a blowhard before, but the article cemented his status as a major league tool.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well he joins that other Legend in his own mind Jim Zumbo!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You ain't gonna get an honest product review from any of them, period...

They beat around the bush, carefully wording everything. It's the same old generic crap you see so much you can recite it in your sleep. sleep

Praise, followed by a minor critique with a big "But" at the end, closely followed by more praise...

Predictable, boring and usually a waste of eyesight.

I'd much rather ask a friend who has spent coin to buy the item and used it, than rely on some gun rag that lives off advertising dollars to give me the straight skinny on a piece of equipment.

That goes double when it's a product from one of their major advertisers.

This board has been infinitely more valuable when it comes to opinions on products than all the gun rags in history put together.

The old Soviet news agency TASS had about as much credibility as these gun mag reviews do nowadays..
Well stated, and spot on...

Good riddance to Metcalf; AFAIC you either support the 2A or ya don't - and he just plain DIDN'T..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
NathanL: They both should have been fired!
G&A is now on my NO BUY list.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
This discussion is a sad reminder of how members of the firearms culture have devolved from sane, respectful sportsmen, marksmen and collectors to isolated, paranoid, disaffected crazies.

If that is the future of the hobby, better it to die an honorable death than linger as a refuge for doomsday fantasists.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Eric308
This discussion is a sad reminder of how members of the firearms culture have devolved from sane, respectful sportsmen, marksmen and collectors to isolated, paranoid, disaffected crazies.

If that is the future of the hobby, better it to die an honorable death than linger as a refuge for doomsday fantasists.

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you.

Me

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

To exercise a bit of editor's discretion, here's what you should have wrote: This discussion is a sad reminder of how American citizens have devolved from sane, respectful people into intolerant, self-absorbed, low-information crazies.

But don't worry. I'm not cancelling any subscriptions.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

People like you are the reason I have to wait 15 months for a [bleep] tube that makes my rifle not loud.

Travis

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is rich coming from an Obama ball washer.

It's your party that has used every dirty trick in the book to damage all of our personal liberties,especially our second amendment.So you can take your assessment and shove it up your ass.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.