Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am glad the POS is gone.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in Hatari's camp on this one. Metcalf was ragging on the lack of safe conduct by many shooters, which probably irritated him enough that he didn't think through what he was writing.
Getting a CCW is a serious step. You dang well better know what you are doing with what you carry...and I wish more people of all stripes were more competent with their guns.
But government mandates tend to get out of hand, especially in hostile states like Illinois, so it was a huge and dangerous no mans land he was asking to cross. He didn't make it, and somehow I'm not sorry. His argument using driver licensing showed the shallowness of his thinking, for one thing.
So -- sayonara, Dick. Hope your replacement is smarter.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Eric308
This discussion is a sad reminder of how members of the firearms culture have devolved from sane, respectful sportsmen, marksmen and collectors to isolated, paranoid, disaffected crazies.

If that is the future of the hobby, better it to die an honorable death than linger as a refuge for doomsday fantasists.

Your post reminds me of why I despise the self-appointed intelligentsia of the world.

I am so f'ing glad to know that you have the superior knowledge to determine how everyone else in our culture should act with regard to their unalienable rights.

By the way, I do not see my right to property, to free-speech, to associate with those I choose, to own firearms, etc. as a hobby you insufferable prick.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This discussion is a sad reminder of how members of the firearms culture have devolved from sane, respectful sportsmen, marksmen and collectors to isolated, paranoid, disaffected crazies.

If that is the future of the hobby, better it to die an honorable death than linger as a refuge for doomsday fantasists.

You are either a full fledged commie, or live in California. Either way. You're clueless as to the attacks our basic. GUARANTEED RIGHTS are constantly under. You sir should pull your lower lip over your head and swallow...hard

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
can someone post the article that got Dick canned? I cant seem to find it

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'm in Hatari's camp on this one. Metcalf was ragging on the lack of safe conduct by many shooters, which probably irritated him enough that he didn't think through what he was writing.
Getting a CCW is a serious step. You dang well better know what you are doing with what you carry...and I wish more people of all stripes were more competent with their guns.
But government mandates tend to get out of hand, especially in hostile states like Illinois, so it was a huge and dangerous no mans land he was asking to cross. He didn't make it, and somehow I'm not sorry. His argument using driver licensing showed the shallowness of his thinking, for one thing.
So -- sayonara, Dick. Hope your replacement is smarter.

I don't give a schit if somebody can't hit the broad side of a GD barn.

It is their right to put a handgun in their damn pocket and carry if they feel like it.

Dick's just another elitist prick. Obviously...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I read the column and found it a rational discussion of a controversial issue. Basically, Metcalf was saying that no law or constitutional amendment) is unequivocal. The first amendment guarantees free speech, but you can't yell "FIRE" in a movie theater.

Same thing with guns; some regulation (hopefully minimal) can be warranted to keep them out of the hands of the mentally ill or criminals, or to regulate where they can be fired (not downtown or in a crowded area).

Metcalf's column was not out of line. Sorry to hear that G&A took the cowardly path to avoid controversy (and dollar loss).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by djs
I read the column and found it a rational discussion of a controversial issue. Basically, Metcalf was saying that no law or constitutional amendment) is unequivocal. The first amendment guarantees free speech, but you can't yell "FIRE" in a movie theater.

Same thing with guns; some regulation (hopefully minimal) can be warranted to keep them out of the hands of the mentally ill or criminals, or to regulate where they can be fired (not downtown or in a crowded area).

Metcalf's column was not out of line. Sorry to hear that G&A took the cowardly path to avoid controversy (and dollar loss).

Sorry to hear people like you enjoy the freedoms we fight for.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gitem_12

You are either a full fledged commie, or live in California. Either way. You're clueless as to the attacks our basic. GUARANTEED RIGHTS are constantly under. You sir should pull your lower lip over your head and swallow...hard

"You're clueless as to the attacks our basic GUARANTEED RIGHTS are constantly under."

Yes, our rights are under attack, but as to "GUARANTEED RIGHTS", they are subject to some regulations, such as to where you can discharge a firearm, who can possess one, the possession of fully-automatic firearms, etc. I think this is what Metcalf was referring to.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by djs

Sorry to hear people like you enjoy the freedoms we fight for.

Travis

You mean like the freedom to just shoot up the town of Havre, Montana in a drunken stupor at 9 AM as kids are going to school? Why don't you do this and then explain to the sheriff (and judge) that you are just exercising your constitutionally guaranteed rights.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by djs

You most certainly can yell fire in a crowded theatre. But you must accept the responsibility of the consequences that come afterwards. That is what Metcalfe doesnt get. He believes we should replace responsibility with regulation. He also gets into a rant about the wording if the second and is completely off base. The " well regulated". Meant. Didnt not mean heavily ruled. It meant of similar fashion. This is outlined in the federalist papers.

Metcalfe, according to my thoughts on what he wrote. Feels that by imposing unnessecary limitations on our rights we can disregard the lack of responsibility of some gun owners. This is wrong thinking.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Tracks
The editor should have fired himself as well.

bingo!!!

However, the real bottom line is that what Dick Metcalf said was not a problem until the explosive push back from readers (and probably advertisers) hit the fan.
At THAT point, it became important to the editor. Not before.

Good observation.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by gitem_12

"You're clueless as to the attacks our basic GUARANTEED RIGHTS are constantly under."

Yes, our rights are under attack, but as to "GUARANTEED RIGHTS", they are subject to some regulations, such as to where you can discharge a firearm, who can possess one, the possession of fully-automatic firearms, etc. I think this is what Metcalf was referring to.

Again. You mistake what the founders menat by "regulated".

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

[Linked Image]

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A very interesting read in the discussion of "regulated" is the February 1982 Report to the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the US Senate Committee on the Judiciary (Senator Orin Hatch, Chairman) entitled "The Right to Keep and Bear Arms". It was printed in 31 years ago and is now out of print, but it might be available online.

It is a 175 page report that discusses the historical and legal aspects of firearms regulation.

Last edited by djs; 11/07/13.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by djs

You mean like the freedom to just shoot up the town of Havre, Montana in a drunken stupor at 9 AM as kids are going to school? Why don't you do this and then explain to the sheriff (and judge) that you are just exercising your constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Thanks for proving what we already knew. You're a [bleep] moron.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Excellent!!!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So, what exactly did Metcalfe say that wasn't the truth---or have we become like the far left, just excommunicate those who tell truths we don't happen to like?

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So, what exactly did Metcalfe say that wasn't the truth---or have we become like the far left, just excommunicate those who tell truths we don't happen to like?

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by hatari
I read Metcaff's article last night, twice. If you read it carefully, all he was trying to say is everything in the world has rules attached to it, and he didn't have a problem with Illinois requiring 16 hours of instruction prior to getting a CCW permit.

His point was he believed some training in firearms safety and handling was reasonable a not an infringement. He closed by saying "that's just me" on the subject. I don't have a problem with the discussion. It's a valid discussion.

Problem is that it was far too easy for the ANTI's to grab that and make a headline a la:
"GUNS and AMMO Supports Gun Control".

Metcaff thought he was writing only to savvy gun owners on a mutual topic of interest. In reality, his was a political Op Ed that he is not prepared to defend once it is dissected and misrepresented now, and for years to come.

Metcaff overstepped his boundaries without realizing the consequences. He knows now.

I wouldn't have fired him, I'd have made him write a retraction.

Metcalfe was an inaccurate writer to begin with and was of extremely limited knowledge and ability he should have been canned years ago.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.