Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I picked up a box of these in 7mm Mag 139gr Interlock. I have never shot them before.

Does anybody have any opinions on their performance on deer?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That bullet out of a 7mm Wby. hits them very hard, it shouldn't be any different in that ammo. It isn't the combination for the "I want to be able to reach vitals and get an exit from any angle, even the ass end" shooter though.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As mathman noted, the Interlocks work very well on deer. They're also normally very accurate. I've put American Whotetail .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum ammo on paper and all of it shot under an inch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What's the difference between their Whitetail line of ammo and their Custom line. Both loaded with interlock bullets in Hornady brass.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Custom line is loaded with several bullets, only one of which is the Interlock. The American Whitetail line is loaded with Interlocks appropriate for deer in that specific cartridge, and the price is meant to compete with Remington Core-Lokt and other "affordable" deer ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The price is what attracted me to them. Good to hear they are a good whitetail round!

Thanks guys!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Custom line is loaded with several bullets, only one of which is the Interlock. The American Whitetail line is loaded with Interlocks appropriate for deer in that specific cartridge, and the price is meant to compete with Remington Core-Lokt and other "affordable" deer ammo.

Thanks, John. Poorly worded question on my part. I guess a box of Custom ammo, 270, 130gr Interlock, would be essentially the same as a box of American Whitetail ammo in 270, 130gr. Correct?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I asked a Hornady tech about this ammo a little while back, and he told me that American Whitetail and Hornady Custom using the same bullets are basically the same load.

It's just that they're only making American Whitetail in the most popular bullet weights and types for each cartridge to help them get caught up with bullet AND ammo production.

Which makes sense because only only their popular bullet weights and types are available as components right meow.

Everything else is suspended until they get caught up, which is a pisser for me since I tend to like their suspended bullets in 7mm, .308, and .338, oh well, it is what it is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Runt used this ammo in 243 to pop a decent 8 pointer this year.

Worked just fine and was decently accurate out of his Ruger.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Sam. Makes sense. But I'm in the same boat as you. All the Interlocks that I use are on the suspended list. frown

Fortunately, there are other options.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by southtexas

Fortunately, there are other options.
True, it just happens to coincide with me wanting to narrow my reloading down to 2 loads per rifle, 1 c&c, and 1 mono for the bigger stuff, and of course most of my favorite c&c loads use the less popular weights for caliber Interlocks. laugh

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have my 7mm Ruger dialed in on 140 gr accubonds. Without shooting the American Whitetail 139 gr interlocks yet, do you guys think I will be close to dead on?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No way to tell. A range trip is in order.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep I agree. I am a bowhunter and a shotgun zone hunter that occasionally gets the chance to use rifles so I don't know a lot about the loads etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Among the "affordable" deer ammo, my pick would be the new Hornady American Whitetail. Interlocks are better bullets IMO.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.