Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might be right

[Linked Image].

3250 fps, almost 1300 ft-lbs at 1000, drops 5.2 mils at 1000. With a Mark 4 and a TMR a guy can simply use the reticle without even dialing at 1000 yards.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You might be right

[Linked Image].

3250 fps, almost 1300 ft-lbs at 1000, drops 5.2 mils at 1000. With a Mark 4 and a TMR a guy can simply use the reticle without even dialing at 1000 yards.

Hell, I didn't even know there was such a powder as RL-33. But I can see that Rick's all wrong 'cause the Reliant page says it's only for the .338 Lapua! smile

Kind of a crazy thread, OP asked which cartridge (or perhaps, which caliber) would make a better sheep gun. I said about 15 pages back, I'd go with a 6.5 something (or more accurately 6.5-.280) that was lightweight, and I haven't changed my mind yet!

Bob

Last edited by Akbob5; 11/07/13. Reason: Had to change that .289 to a .280, nobody shoots a small block Ford!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shhhhhh! RL 33 is the Magic Jesus juice for the 264!

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Tanner

You're learnin...just not quite there yet.
Jerry

I'm not sure where "there" is.

My experience with both is the basis for my arguments, and I firmly believe that energy is a crap designator in examining ballistics and terminal performance.

There is a pretty considerable difference in a 7mm 180gr VLD and a .30 180gr NBT, even with the 30 starting 150fps faster. I've seen it, and shot both.

My point being- the 7mm offers the most for the least.

And 6.5s take that even further.

Tanner

Let me SPLAIN it this way.

How many 'years' experience do you have with the 7 & 300 mags?

How many HEAD of B G have you taken with BOTH??

IMO - IMO, you are a FEW yrs. and MUCH B G behind BobNH and his experience and OBSERVATION has more weight.

A 7mm 180 VLD ----APPLES
A 300 180 NBT ----ORANGES

They are NOT shaped (BC) the same. For a VALID comparison for ACCURATE results, the bullets MUST be comparable.

180 vs 180 ain't where it's at: e.g. a 700 HP NASCAR race car and a 700 HP Mack truck ARE NOT COMPARABLE.

Regardless of what you read HERE on the fire, BC AND SD have bearing on bullet comparisons.

As to 'energy' figures, that IS MATH. Mass AT Speed = WORK (energy)

The VALID comparison is to use as close to the same BC & SD at the velocity each cartridge is capable OF PRODUCING.

I know that 'energy' figures are poo poo'd around here, ever wonder WHY? The simple FACT is w/o energy, nothing gets done.

As to the 6.5s --- There ain't ONE 6.5 commercial cartridge that's in the same ballpark with the 300 WM.

Now please don't forget, I am not disparaging you nor the knowledge you posses for your age.

THERE , is still more.

Jerry

You may want to revisit your physics books and double check those equations wink

I wasn't going to say it laugh

As to the question at hand. Having shot 180 Accubonds out of a 30-06 and 180 VLD's out of a 7mm Rem, I greatly prefer the VLD's. That said, those 180 Accubonds are a nasty bullet and I'd have zero qualms about using them for nearly anything.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
rcmgla

OH MY, did I just kick the "HOLY COW" ?

How could I have NOT thot about the writhing, languishing, gasping for breath, America's favorite child???????

The 264 W M - WHY is it not THE gun/cartridge that everyone's panting over and waiting for months for theirs to come in????

Because SO FEW hunters DO L R hunting. I'm not talking busting rocks, gongs or paper targets.

I've been in 3 deer leases and I KNOW most of those deer hunters CANT hit a school bus at 300 yds.

I have nothing against the 264 W M at all. In my 41 yrs. of hunting in Ar. La. & Al. I have known ONE guy with that cart.

Now just one phrase could have prevented this part of the discussion. " For NORMAL hunting ranges" the 264 is NOT the leader of the pack!!

B T W - the OP asked about the 7 RM or 300 WM. He like most hunters was not considering the 264 WM.

Now, I'm not leaving this thread IF it continues, but I'm not arguing any more about the 264.

As Tanner said, I have enough experience with the rifles that I know what I like. I also know what cartridges will accomplish what I need.

OH ! I'm sorry, GOOD MORNING !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rcmgla

OH MY, did I just kick the "HOLY COW" ?

I haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about.

Good morning

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
rcmg -

A clue is YOUR POST -

Originally Posted by BWalker
I will be glad when this long rang hunting fad, obsession with BC burns out...And it will.

In no particular order!!

There is NOT as much L R hunting ACTUALLY done Compared to how many TALK it.. I had a thread on the L R forum on THAT subject.

There were only a FEW. Less than 10, who said they killed game 500 yds and out.

OTOH the subject of B C has merit for more than L R comparisons.
Yes B C is more important at L R because it relates the aerodynamics of bullets.

300 yds. Is not considered L R yet B C is relative for 300 yd. shooting/hunting.

To state the OBVIOUS the B C numbers relate the efficiency of different bullets in flight. Many or most Xs experienced shooters can tell the relative efficiency by simply looking (for short range, 300 yds. or less)

I found B C and S D particularly helpful as an inexperienced handloader. Yes I know that S D changes or dissipates upon impact BUT....

S D relates the penetrating quality of bullets of the SAME construction.

eg. Using the same bullet manufacturer with the same construction B C & S D indicates flight & penetration between lighter & heavier bullets.

IMO - IMO more people use the numbers of Bergers or Scenars to prove their points THAN actually USE those bullets for hunting.

I am OLD SCHOOL, if ya can't tell <G>, and for 400 yds. And less these high numbers from Berger aren't nearly as important.

If I never read or hear about Bergers again, I would not miss it.

So much here and the last few posts to discredit I don't know with which to start.

I've killed at long range. I've never gone out ONLY to kill at long range, I simply want to be able to use my equipment with competency. If it's capable of killing at 1000 yards I want to have the skill to allow it to.

How pitiful it would be to own a Ferrari and only be skilled enough at to drive 55?

You really need to get out more or actually go to the range with someone who has a [bleep] clue smile

THAT is what I'm talking about!

I spend MORE of my time HUNTING rather than at the 'range'. That's the HEART of my point.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
rcmgla

B T W - the OP asked about the 7 RM or 300 WM. He like most hunters was not considering the 264 WM.

Just a POLITE reminder.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap
After reading all these posts, it has become clear. The .264 Win Mag can shoot a lighter bullet with just as high a BC and recoil less, so it is better than the 7mm Mag and the 300 Mag.

Just a polite reminder for you jwall as to who broached the subject first...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For NORMAL hunting ranges" the 264 is NOT the leader of the pack!!

depending on the criteria, the 7mm mag and the 300 win mag arent the leaders of this pack either.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Actually, I was being facetious when I said the .264 Win Mag is better than the 7mm Mag and the 300 Mag. We could carry it to the extreme and say that the .243 Win with a 105 A-max is just as slippery in the wind and recoils less than the .264 Win Mag so it must be better than all of the previously mentioned cartridges. And, perhaps for targets, it is.

I used to have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 Win Mag. My son "borrowed" the 7mm Rem Mag and I'm left with the 300 Win Mag. Which I don't mind at all. I'm good for about 40 shots at the bench with my 300 Mag and for a couple of shots at game, I don't really notice the recoil. If I want to shoot a lot, I use a much smaller cartridge than any of the ones we're "arguing" about.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you were being facetious, you inadvertently were right.

For a sheep rifle it would be perfect, which is what the OP asked about.

A flat-shooting cartridge is an advantage for anything you do with it and they don't come much flatter than the .264. Build on a Lightweight Packer platform and it's perfect for hauling around in tough country.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's the 105 for schits and giggles comparison....

[Linked Image]

The 264 edges out even the 300.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by houston
Which one of the 2 for a sheep rifle? Do you agree on a 300 win mag can do anything the 7mm does and more. Thanks jeff~

Uhh, where did the OP ask about 6.5s?

How Many guys HUNT B G up to 1000 yds.?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you were being facetious, you inadvertently were right.

For a sheep rifle it would be perfect, which is what the OP asked about.

A flat-shooting cartridge is an advantage for anything you do with it and they don't come much flatter than the .264. Build on a Lightweight Packer platform and it's perfect for hauling around in tough country.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's the 105 for schits and giggles comparison....

[Linked Image]

The 264 edges out even the 300.

I had heard that a 264 WM and 140 Bergers will out run the the 7RM and 30's at 700-1000 but had never seen the numbers.

Gotta be the velocity started over 3200.

Ditto on flat trajectories,although my frame of reference is only 600 yards.

Wonder what a 7mm 168 Berger at 3200 fps looks lke?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Using Litz numbers...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All fun with numbers aside the .264 is dead and the 300 win mag has more stomp than the 7mm mag.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Dude, that's quite a quote there, I might have to steal that one. smile

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All fun with numbers aside the .264 is dead and the 300 win mag has more stomp than the 7mm mag.

LOL now that's damn near comical tell it to those that are using them to hunt with.

NRA Lifetime Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

LOL now that's damn near comical tell it to those that are using them to hunt with.

You meen all ten of them?

Last edited by BWalker; 11/08/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

You meen all ten of them?

No I don't have ten of them just one pre 64.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.