Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jambo
Thanks for the tip on hodgdon. Will check that out.

Happy to help. I'm so often the learner, i jump at such opportunities. grin

BP-B6

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a few comments:

The latest versions of IMR4350 and H4350 are very close in burn rate. This is probably because Hodgdon owns both lines now, and doesn't want people getting into trouble with data that varies between the two 4350's. In my own rifles they act very similarly, with the same powder charge resulting in similar velocity and accuracy.

The 156 Oryx is probably my favorite 7x57 bullet in the 160-grain range. It is VERY accurate in my rifle, and while it penetrates pretty deeply, it tends to kill quicker than either the 160 Nosler Partition or 160 TSX, probably because it opens up wider than either of those.

In general, though, I have come to the conclusion that for deer-sized game, bullets in the 140-grain range kill more quickly than heavier bullets, due to the extra velocity. Favorites are are 140 Partition and Ballistic Tip, and the 139 Hornady, either flat-base or boattail.

I had a Juenke machine for a while and finally gave it up, because I was spending too much time spinning bulelts for relatively little gain. There's some correlation between the Juenke machine and accuracy, but evenually I decided not enough to worry over in hunting bullets. If I want extreme accuracy for longer-range shooting I just use Sierras, Ballistic Tips or Bergers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Though not yet hunted I did bring two back last year after finishing my time living in Canada, a BRNO and a Walther (the left one, the right one is an 8x57). Been looking for the "right" one for years. Maybe one gets out this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by medicman
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I still haven't had any luck finding a jug of IMR-4350. I did however find an 8 pounder of H-4350. I know they're a bit diferent so has anybody used it and have loads to share. I'm not sure I want to use IMR data as they appearto be diferent in burning rate.
Paul B.

A few years ago, I found the IMR 4350 was a bit hotter than the Hogdon, IMR loads in my Ruger, gave faster than Hogden, not any where top of spectrum loads so no pressure signs on either load.
rANDY

When AR 2209 (H 4350) was released it was a little faster than IMR 4350. After Hodgdon started using it as a replacement, it was tweaked a little slower than IMR 4350. No need to advertise this sort of ajustment as it won't cause handloading issues (because the pressure is lowered) and the serious reloaders always test new batches of powder and alter the loads to suit.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just a few comments:

The latest versions of IMR4350 and H4350 are very close in burn rate. This is probably because Hodgdon owns both lines now, and doesn't want people getting into trouble with data that varies between the two 4350's. In my own rifles they act very similarly, with the same powder charge resulting in similar velocity and accuracy.

The 156 Oryx is probably my favorite 7x57 bullet in the 160-grain range. It is VERY accurate in my rifle, and while it penetrates pretty deeply, it tends to kill quicker than either the 160 Nosler Partition or 160 TSX, probably because it opens up wider than either of those.

In general, though, I have come to the conclusion that for deer-sized game, bullets in the 140-grain range kill more quickly than heavier bullets, due to the extra velocity. Favorites are are 140 Partition and Ballistic Tip, and the 139 Hornady, either flat-base or boattail.

I had a Juenke machine for a while and finally gave it up, because I was spending too much time spinning bulelts for relatively little gain. There's some correlation between the Juenke machine and accuracy, but evenually I decided not enough to worry over in hunting bullets. If I want extreme accuracy for longer-range shooting I just use Sierras, Ballistic Tips or Bergers.

Thanks again John for the reply here (and over in the reloading forum). The 156 gr Oryx has been of interest for a while--although I'm sure the 160 partitions would've sufficed for my intentions. I guess that's part of the adventure...learning about and field testing a 'new' (to me) hunting caliber.

If it was just for deer-sized game I probably would've stuck with the faster 140 grain bullets but I'm going to RSA and will have opportunity for some larger antelope and wildebeest.

Friend also had a Juenkie--but became a bullet 'junkie', spending a LOT of time fussing with spinning bullets. After a while we agreed that hunting accuracy can be realized with a methodical load and test regimen and factory premium bullets are 'good enough'.

Thanks again for the insight. Great to learn from the experienced 'campers'.

Rectum non bustus
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
jambo,

lovely rifle. i dig the hardwood floors smile

FJB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
The 7x57 is my current "go-to" rifle. Mine is a Winchester Featherweight. The load I use most often is a 140 grain Nosler Partition over 49 grains of Reloder 19 in a Remington case with a CCI 200 primer.

Same rifle used...

I load a 140 ballistic tip instead, and with a load of 44 grains of 4064 or IMR 4895... MV is 2800 on the nose..

If I need a heavier bullet, I go with the 175 grain RN Hornady, with a 40 grain charge of 3031 ( out of an older Hodgdon manual) with an MV of 2650 fps...

the same charge of 3031 with a 154 grain Hornady RN also is a favorite load...MV at 2700 fps..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have two 7x57's- one Ruger 77 and a Ruger #1. Though I have several rifles in many other calibers, I have always come back to the 7x57. It's my favorite for all the same reasons mentioned by others. Plus, I hate showing up to deer camp with something that everyone else is carrying!I belive I could hunt the rest of my days with this round and not find myself wanting anything else. I have used the 139 SP by Hornady with great success, as well as the 154 RN by Hornady.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Is any manufacturer still chambering a bolt action model in this fine caliber?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 7x57 was the second rifle that I built for myself,the first was a 35whelen,both on 98 mauser actions.
I had used a rem700 in 270 for a while till I built it,the 7x57 now goes in the case for all hunts.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by n2daddy
Is any manufacturer still chambering a bolt action model in this fine caliber?

Don't think so...but a quick search on google turned up a nice almost new ltd. edition (1/1000) Savage over on G-broker (not mine!).

Pretty pricey for a Savage--but I'd guess you could hunt with it just like it is. Closes tomorrow (August 9th).

Rectum non bustus
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will be this for this years WI gun hunt. I assembled this rifle over this past summer. VZ24 receiver, A&B 21" bbl., Timney. Doing the swing safety was more work than the typical wing safety, I like it. Don't have a clue who makes the stock. I was gifted a bunch of Mauser parts, reamers, barrels (all A&B) triggers, stocks, g,ng gauges, hinged trigger guards, etc. First frankenrifle was a '96 swede 6.5x55, nice walnut wood finished w/ spar varnish for my son. Chose doing a 7x57 frankenrifle for me.
Parkerized all the metal, epoxy bed steel to wood.
Shoots aok, 140 Hornady interlock @ 2650fps using imr4064.
Bunch of nice rifles in this thread, thought I'd brag up my frankenrifle smile

[Linked Image]

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happy to see this thread, as I've posted something somewhat similar

I'm looking to find a single load to which I can tune my iron sights on this 7x57AI project.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah yes, my favorite cartridge.

It's hard to beat the Hornady 175gr Interlock for on-game performance. They simply hammer deer leaving a gaping exit. I use those in my old Ruger M77R tang. My other two 7x57s, Flaig's FN Mauser and Ruger M77R MkII, get the Hornady 154gr Interlock.

I almost hate to post load info. The old Ruger handles about 10% more powder than the other two rifles. The chamber is larger and the throat is longer. Not sure about the groove diameter but the difference between these rifles is drastic. For instance, the old Ruger likes 45gr H4350 with the 175gr slug, but the other two only want 41gr before troubles appear.

IIRC, I load the 154gr slug with 44gr of H4350 in the tighter rifles. I shot a deer with the Mauser last year from 300 yards with a stiff crosswind. I gave it 5 inches Kentuky windage and held at the top of the back. The bullet destroyed both shoulder bones and exited. Somehow the deer dragged itself about 20 yards before quitting for good.

I used to hunt regularly with many different 30-06s that have passed through my hands, and still do on occasion, but the 7x57s are easier on my diseased shoulders and kill just as well. The '06 shoots flatter with handloads in modern rifles, but the 7x57 shoots plenty flat enough.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Barnes 160 gr. TSX, 50 gr. 4831
Ingwe

[Linked Image]

or this blacktail met its fate at the hands of a 7mm Mauser..

[Linked Image]

but hey, if it is good enough for Ingwe, who am I to argue with the Grand Poobah?

if it is good enough for Ingwe, its good enough for all of us... we can all thank him later...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
^^^^^^^^

This.

grin cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was intrigued with the Spanish American War history of the 7x57. It was so effective in the hands of the Spanish marksmen against Roosevelt's troops.

Here are a few pics of my finest 7x57 in a K98.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
nice!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
sweet looking rifle Orange!

very nicely done.......

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 648 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.