Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

We do not need more government regulations/laws. Ethics, morals can not be legislated these are up to the individual, in a free society, why do so many want to take away peoples freedom. Educate not legislate.

Amen John!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dawaba
Almost all outfitters these days require their hunters to punch their tag if an animal is wounded and lost, short range or long range. How many of you believe this is a good policy for all of us? (Big game only....specific exemptions for coyotes, pigs, PDs, and other vermin).

I realize that this is slightly off-topic, but I think it applies. It would certainly separate the wheat from the chaff regarding long range shooting.

We don't, but we do limit shots to under 300 yards. It's a little hypocritical because I self impose around 500, but that's because a I shoot at 500 regularly and that's about it.

I had to let the biggest deer of my life walk this year at 600. Bad angle, moving, wind, new rifle, and shooting .25 cal took the shot out of my hands.

But I was tickled pink with the much smaller guy I shot same morning.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Before anyone thinks I'm being hypercritical, it is close enough right now that I would be ok with states banning all electronic devices save gps and cell phones for emergencies.....

You mean you actually want folks to develop hunting skills, like stalking, tracking and still hunting........? Boy that's crazy.

Only a complete Jibroney would think anyone worth his Salt posting on this Long Range Forum didn't know how to hunt before mastering long range shooting.

You'll have to forgive me as I'll never see "the hunt" in a 800 yard plus shot.

If you don't think that one has to hunt hard in order to see one at 800 then give it a try and get back to us

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE punching a tag, just becuase you draw blood doesn't mean the animal dies. Hell we have blood in the house now and then with dogs living in it...

BUT if I feel that I"ve made a killing shot, and cannot find the animal, I won't harvest another. But I will have a good idea as the gun goes off, from what I"M seeing, and then what the trail shows me as to how its going to go.

I did loose one in the 90s sometime, a bad shot on my part, and did all I could. I did not utilize that tag that year after that.

I did loose one around 2004, but not nearly anything more than a flesh wound from a deflected round. Ain't happy about it, and wasn't at the time either, but it certainly didn't kill the deer only hitting a front leg low.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Originally Posted by rost495

Ok, to solve this, lets call it a shoot instead of a hunt, and its done and we can move on. Many things are shoots instead of hunts. Guided hunts are almost always shoots. Planted food plots are. Feeders are. And so on.

Sometimes by folks thoughts, I hunt. Sometimes I shoot. Sometimes I do both. Sometimes neither. I"m still happy and doesn't bother me what others think. [/quote]

Well said.

Somtimes the morning after I drink and post I wonder wth I was thinking at the time. smile

We do not need more laws for sure but if we did there are a hell of a lot of issues I would address before tackling long range. [/quote]

I agree with this Eddy.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you think all I did was to "shoot" to get any animal I've killed at long range, you're quite mistaken.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe you can see it if I describe a hunt that was just that.

Unlike New Jersey, the West is pretty open country. It's open even in some seriously, God-forsaken, rocky, steep, cactusey country where Goats and Sheep live.

Went on an Ibex hunt with three buddies. Glassed up some animals about 2 miles away. The stalk to get there involved traversing steep terrain both up and down. It involved getting into a dry, rocky arroyo bed, climbing waterfall areas, sneaking through thorn bushes.

2 Hours later we were within 1100 yards

There was a rocky outcropping in front and above us that we could make it to without being seen that would provide a 760 yard shot. To attempt getting closer would have exposed us across a canyon diagonally and blew the animals out of the area.

Made it to the rock outcropping circled in the pic and set up for the shot. Standing in the spot the animal was killed taking the pic back to the spot of the shot. Animals were spotted from the top of the knob that the red arrow is pointing at.

It took an additional 1 hour to make it over to the animal.

[Linked Image]

Can't remember the last time I hunted in NJ, but based on the narrow mindedness of internet posters I guess that was a logical conclusion because I live in NJ. I appreciate your illustration though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you think all I did was to "shoot" to get any animal I've killed at long range, you're quite mistaken.

As were you to think I've hunted in NJ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You really should hunt in your own state to support the Game and Fish Department

smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We don't consider a clients' tag punched either if he makes a poor shot. It is the clients' call. We are real clear with our clients about legal issues, but don't try impose our ethics on them.
Haven't really had too many guys try shoot beyond their range in the past 30 some years either. Nearly all the hunters I've guided had what I thought to be a very limited range and knew it. One example of the flip side; got an elk up across a small draw, maybe 200 yards. I'm telling the hunter to find a spot to sit where he can still see above the brush. He finally glares and says "shut up!". He then puts 3 shots behind the shoulder of that elk with a .338 Win... offhand. When I asked where he learned to shoot like that he told me he had been an instructor in the marines and still shot regularly. Some folks actually can shoot.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cobrad
We don't consider a clients' tag punched either if he makes a poor shot. It is the clients' call. We are real clear with our clients about legal issues, but don't try impose our ethics on them.
Haven't really had too many guys try shoot beyond their range in the past 30 some years either. Nearly all the hunters I've guided had what I thought to be a very limited range and knew it. One example of the flip side; got an elk up across a small draw, maybe 200 yards. I'm telling the hunter to find a spot to sit where he can still see above the brush. He finally glares and says "shut up!". He then puts 3 shots behind the shoulder of that elk with a .338 Win... offhand. When I asked where he learned to shoot like that he told me he had been an instructor in the marines and still shot regularly. Some folks actually can shoot.

Good stuff Brad.

I'm unique in that I actually get to hand pick who we take hunting. And almost none of them can shoot great. We like to guide folks who we can give the experience to and they all listen to what we say.

They use my rifles most of the time and they are dialed in pretty tight so it helps to take one negative integer out of the equation.

Thankfully we have had a lot of success.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
The key for me, is.... to know when to use my booger hook on the bang switch.

I can't underrstand why you long-range guys insist on using all this technical jargon?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

I can't underrstand why you long-range guys insist on using all this technical jargon?

OK, I'll bite.....

What is a booger hook? I have no idea.

What is a bang switch? I'll guess it's the trigger, perhaps?

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's what you pick your nose with......

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It never ceases to amaze me that some people wish to judge others by their own limitations!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Heard it put really well the other day a guy we know said you guys shoot way to far my brother answered well you decide my max range and go stand their and give me one shot . He never said a nother word

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

i thought is was a dick-beater.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2011 I was practicing where I would hunt before the opening and could see I was good to 500 yards, but could not get confidence at 600y.

In 2012 with a different rifle I was good to 400y.

In 2013 I was good to 500 again, and I was right on when I got my buck at 477 yards.

Someday I would like to be good to 600 yards. I keep building new rifles and buying new equipment.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've missed at 50 yds and I've killed a coyote right at 600.

More luck than skill involved on the latter I can assure you.

Every hunter is different, stay within your skill set and things usually go ok.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some guys can't even drive a wheel barrel. Put them in an 18 wheeler???? Same goes for long range shooting.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.