Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Could I use a NECO or Tubbs kit to push the throat forward enough in a standard 7RemMag to get the benefits of "freebore"?

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Missed it

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

But to disregard what the Wby Freebore is accomplishing is a bit silly.

Nothing like starting the rifling half way down the barrel to lower pressure.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Could I use a NECO or Tubbs kit to push the throat forward enough in a standard 7RemMag to get the benefits of "freebore"?

Yep,
Or you could just shoot out a rifle with a normal freebore.
After its career is over as a normal shooting rifle and the throat is wore out.
You could hot up the loads and pretend its a Weatherby.
dave

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SU35

I learned that I would not be shooting your load in a Mashburn.

OK.

So a 175 gr bullet at 3160 from a 7mm Weatherby Magnum is OK...but 3050 from a Mashburn is not...I see.That's interesting.

OK we won't talk about the Speer Manual, except to say it does not show as much velocity as is claimed on here for the 7mm Weatherby and 175's.

That said,I don't have a 7mm Weatherby so maybe you guys can answer something, because I am confused about the case capacity business.

The Nosler Manual shows that the following loads for the 7MM Weatherby are "compressed":

79.5 gr Retumbo and 160's 103% density.

76 gr RL25 with 160 (102% density.

78 Retumbo 175 gr 103% density.

I know for certain (without guessing) that at least the 76 gr RL25 load is not close to compression in the Mashburn.

Can you 7mm Weatherby folks let me know if this is true?

I also note from the Nosler data that a load of 74 H1000-175 is at 97% density in the Weatherby. It is not close to 97% of filling the case with the Mashburn.

Can you guys help me understand this in light of the Weatherby having more capacity??

NOt a big mystery there,are you seating your bullets at 3.350" like they are in the book?

FWIW my LRX is seated at 3.535 and the VLD seems to like 3.450..Not compressed with 76 grains.

And for the record I dont claim that the wby has more capacity..nor do I think i'll see 3100 with the 175's out of mine. But I'll report back sometime next week with what I see.

Last edited by rosco1; 11/17/13.
IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK.

So a 175 gr bullet at 3160 from a 7mm Weatherby Magnum is OK...but 3050 from a Mashburn is not...I see.That's interesting.

Bob, You shoot a 175 Partition. I shoot a LRAB. Two different bullets and bearing surfaces. Two differ speeds.

Bob, it all comes down to this.

I used Hornaday Load data and swaped out bullets with one that I saw had a shorter bearing surface. It worked.
I also shot Hornady bullets using their data. It worked too.

You are making a big deal out of nothing and trying to pick nits that are not there.

My apologies for my response in mistaking the intent of your post. I was out of order.

I'm done with this thread.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob, I dont use RL25 in my 7wby so you had me wondering. I dumped in 79 grains of '25, and it hasnt started to come up the neck yet, but i suspect you wouldt get much of a "shake" of powder if I were to seat at my VLD depth, possibly lightly compressed.

Kinda hard to tell exactly how far the powder comes up, but here is a pic of the 79 grains of '25

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

It's a fact it works... not a fact it's an intelligent design.
There's a difference.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've shot a number of Weatherby factory rifles made in the past decade, and all shot better than the average factory rifle, and most shot VERY well. Maybe not accurately enough to satisfy those who always shoot custom-barreled rifles, but my first was a Vanguard .2657 Weatherby that would shoot 3-shot groups in the 1/2 MOA range out to 500 with more than one handload.

Have also had a couple of custom rifles in Weatherby chamberings where the maker insisted on a custom reamer without the freebore. They shot very well too--but not any better than the more accurate Weatherby factory rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bloody good one, "young Viking"!!!! smile smile smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

It's a fact it works... not a fact it's an intelligent design.
There's a difference.

Just as a thought.
I've played some with GS Custom HV bullets.
If you look at the HV bullet,they have driving bands.
The first driving band is way back from what would be the conventional contact point for a normal shaped bullet.
A Weatherby on the bullet if you will,with a normal free bore.

dave

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
pathfinder76,

Wow! That's a big difference from what docbill measured, almost 2 whole grains! What does that come from--different brass, a difference in guessing where the base of the neck is, or (gasp!) different CHAMBERS in wildcat rifles?

I have tried to add some basic ballistic facts to this thread, but it continues to whirl even farther off the edge of the earth.

I'm going hunting whitetails tomorrow and will be gone for a few days. Hopefully there won't be anybody in camp who wants to argue about the case capacity, SAAMI versus CIP, or whether 100 fps makes a fat lot of difference in any 7mm magnum. Even more hopefully, when I come back somebody with a .338 Lapua will have shot this thread dead. Apparently nothing less will do the job.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My chamber was cut with a Hendrickson reamer.

I was using Winchester brass and am not sure how anyone tells where the base of the neck is. I tried all kinds of lights etc and in the end I stuck the case in my case trimmer and took the neck completely off and filled it full. That way I know I didn't have any extra water in there. :-)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kutenay
Bloody good one, "young Viking"!!!! smile smile smile

grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Rosco that helps.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've shot a number of Weatherby factory rifles made in the past decade, and all shot better than the average factory rifle, and most shot VERY well. Maybe not accurately enough to satisfy those who always shoot custom-barreled rifles, but my first was a Vanguard .2657 Weatherby that would shoot 3-shot groups in the 1/2 MOA range out to 500 with more than one handload.

Have also had a couple of custom rifles in Weatherby chamberings where the maker insisted on a custom reamer without the freebore. They shot very well too--but not any better than the more accurate Weatherby factory rifles.

I don't doubt it John.

My best friend owned 3 custom Wbys (w/ freebore) both the 257 and 340 Wby's shot 1/2" moa. The 416 Wby shot sub 1", but it was a sub 8lb rifle so who really knows what it was capable of!

Chrono'd the 340 Wby 250 grain factory stuff in the 340 Wby.. it went 3,030 fps in a 26" bbl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad,

I had two .340's. Back then the factory claimed 3,025 feet per second. Over the years when I have chrono loads for guys at the range, the only factory load which consistently hit published data was Weatherby.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes sense to me Weatherby is the only one with a vested interest in achieving the higher velocities! Why would Remchesteral risk it or purposely use thinner lighter brass.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nothing at all wrong with Weatherby cartridges IME...the 270,300 and 340 have all delivered the velocities in factory ammo IME.The 340 is very accurate,free bore notwithstanding.

Chasing those velocities with handloads can sometimes be a chore,though...or at least push you to places you might not feel comfortable going,in some rifles. Maybe they use custom blends of powder not available to us in factory ammo....don't know.

I think they are best left to Weatherby rifles myself. They seem to have the ammo formulas worked out to sync with the rifles themselves. I would not spend long green for a custom chambered to one again....BTDT....., but many have with good results.

Custom makers like Darcy Echols and Gene Simillion do chamber for them....but without the freebore which basically wildcats them,and excludes the use of factory ammo..

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
a Vanguard .2657 Weatherby

Dang! I was reading this as I was eating lunch, so I was only paying about half attention, but I got all excited when I thought I was reading about another hot 6.5 to play with...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.