Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Of course you can purchase a lot of different winter coyote lures and most are very good. But if you want to try your hand at making a good one, and if you were lucky enough to catch a few skunks in your traps, and if you were lucky enough to shoot a nice fat deer, you have the makings of a good winter coyote lure.

The deer I shot this year had a lot of fat on its rump. Basically you cut all of that off, and you put it over very low, but adequate heat, on the stove, preferably outside, but you can do it on the kitchen stove as well. you want it to turn to an oily consistency, but you don't want to overheat it or burn it.

Have on hand small bottle or jars to pour it in. I use empty glass jelly jars. And then, of course, you take syringe and extract a small amount of the skunk essence and mix it in the deer tallow. (definitely do this outside)

You don't need much. Just a drop or two will do it.

Add a tablespoon or two of canning salt, mix as best as you can, and put the cap on.

It will be a sort of lard consistency, and of course will freeze when its used, but the skunky odor will definitely be there. And as we all know, in the wintertime there is really nothing better to use than skunky type lures for both fox and coyote.

One set that is very good, if you use snares, is to drive your truck through some tall grass a couple of times, in the same tire tracks, so there are two "trails" so to speak going through the tall grass. Hang a noose in each one of these tracks about 8 to 10 feet apart, and then put a small amount of that skunky lure on a stick right between the tracks.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I keep some of my deer trimmings for lures, but you need slot of other stuff like gland lures, and urine as well.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
canine call ain't bad

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,558
Posts18,453,692
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.