-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that it would be a custom proposition. With a lot of re-engineering.

What has me thinking is the sights, gas cylinder, GC lock, all that would have to be custom made to the larger diameter barrel, and the op-rod offset would be lower, more than likely causing contact issues with the lower band, necessitating a custom one

The center-to-center distance would increase quite a bit with that much increase in the barrel O.D..

Then, what kind of issues would you have with the change in relationship of the op-rod to the receiver tracks. You'd more than likely have to re-think the op-rod bends.

It could be done, but not cheaply. A BAR (Browning sporting rifle) would be much easier. Start with a .300 or .338 mag....

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, simple, right? smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I think that it would be a custom proposition. With a lot of re-engineering.

What has me thinking is the sights, gas cylinder, GC lock, all that would have to be custom made to the larger diameter barrel, and the op-rod offset would be lower, more than likely causing contact issues with the lower band, necessitating a custom one

The center-to-center distance would increase quite a bit with that much increase in the barrel O.D..

Then, what kind of issues would you have with the change in relationship of the op-rod to the receiver tracks. You'd more than likely have to re-think the op-rod bends.

It could be done, but not cheaply. A BAR (Browning sporting rifle) would be much easier. Start with a .300 or .338 mag....

Man,

....you could give Gary Kuhnhausen a run for his money, speaking "gas-gun tech".

smile grin

Kudos.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

I've never modified a gas-gun. Built plenty of bolts.

I am trained as an Engineer, though. Sometimes, I wished I could just look at something, and take it for what it is....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wink

Yup,....can relate to that, myself.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i use to have the link to the company that makes them, they also offer it in 338.if i remember right they run about 5 grand.

Last edited by stxhunter; 11/13/13.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to find that link and check 'em out.

I'll have to admit, though, that I like the Garand just as it is or maybe in .35 Whelen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Google McCann Industries in Spanaway Washington. They made these a few years ago, not sure of they still do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was that the outfit that was fitting M60 gas systems to M1s and M1As ?

GTC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Google McCann Industries in Spanaway Washington. They made these a few years ago, not sure of they still do.

I checked their web site and it doesn't look like they do.

I'm surprised that somebody has come up with something like this from scratch. I would imagine any patents on the M-1 have expired by now. I can see a M-1 type action with a detachable 8-round magazine as a dangerous game rifle.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Springfield Armory (TM) made some M1s, but not completely from scratch. It is a very expensive design to produce.

ETA: They used a lot of original production parts.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BarryC
Springfield Armory (TM) made some M1s, but not completely from scratch. It is a very expensive design to produce.

I'm not an engineer so I don't know but is the M-14 that much different from the M-1? I used both in the service extensively and broke them down and I didn't notice any real difference but as I said I'm no engineer.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The M14's use of detachable magazines, rather then the mechanisms used with the enbloc clip of the M1 simplifies it by a measurable amount.

And there's no more Garand thumb...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

springfield as apposed to the original springfield armory was making m1garands for a while, but they weren't the same as the original. Those i believe were cast recievers used on the newer production

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by derby_dude

I'm not an engineer so I don't know but is the M-14 that much different from the M-1? I used both in the service extensively and broke them down and I didn't notice any real difference but as I said I'm no engineer.

i have heard the m14 often refered to as the son of the garand, which is correct, but it is different. It uses a magazine the garand a clip. Gas system is different too.
the production garand was 30.06, the m14 7.62x51

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/14/13.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a dedicated NATO military arm, the Beretta variant was the hands down winner.

7.62 X 51,......

No fragile 'Roller',semi auto only, 20 round detachable mag, and short enough to be a "Scout", before that became chic( that said with all due respect for the departed Col. Cooper).

I've shot several, and they're pretty squared away units.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can see a M-1 type action with a detachable 8-round magazine as a dangerous game rifle.

The Italian BM-59 is in 7.62 and features a 20 round detachable mag.

There are various conversions around that fed the Garand with a BAR mag(Military rifle).

One of these used as a basis and with sound engineering would be just that, though I can't think of too many bear that would shrug off 8 well-placed 220 grainers. .35 Whelen would be even more formidable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the input.

Well breaking both the M-14 and the M-1 down for cleaning etc. of course I would never notice any engineering difficulties as I'm not an engineer but I can see where the enbloc mechanism of the M-1 would require more engineering than a straight magazine. Also the gas port on the M-14 is moved half way down the barrel whereas the gas port on the M-1 is only a few inches from the muzzle. I would imagine that would change how the operating rod functions.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.