Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Any recommendations for a classic Northwoods rifle hunt?
I haven't hunted in Maine since the early 80's, and want to plan a return trip for next year. If you've had a positive experience with a guide, I'd like to hear about him.
Thank you.

Jeff

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The hunting in Maine will be tough and the deer numbers in the Northern and Western part of Maine have been decimated by bad winters for a few years.

Hal Blood - Cedar Ridge Outfitter in Jackman Maine is probably your best bet for a hunt.

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the info. I spent a lot of time in Maine, as a teen, in the 70's. Both deer hunting and summer vacations. It felt like a second home. Sadly, our friends' chicken farm where we stayed closed up, and the owners moved into town, then out of state. Lots of happy memories there.

Last edited by JeffyD; 11/23/13.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Lived just below Augusta Maine for 17 years - late 70s through '94 and hunted all over the state. Deer numbers were fairly low then and I remember the most deer I saw in any hunting season was 13 deer, but I always managed to shoot one every year. Shot 2 big bucks in 91 & 92 that were 219 & 234 lbs dressed with 150 & 140" racks.

The Northern counties always had low numbers but BIG deer if you were lucky enough to find one. Between the harsh winters and the damn coyotes the deer herd has been drastically reduced. The lower part of the state has much better deer densities than Northern or Western Maine.

I go back to Maine every year in Sept for bear hunting but until the deer herd recovers (if it ever does) I wont deer hunt there.

Last edited by Ghostman; 11/24/13.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I don't think anyone (who has any intelligence) comes to Maine to hunt food plots out of a heated stand or plans to see a lot of deer. I also hope that those coming here aren't offended by seeing a spike horn in the back of a truck. That said, 2013 has been an outstanding year for deer in Maine, even in my home county-Aroostook.

Sean Lizotte in Allagash would provide you with a good hunt. Caveat, if you plan on seeing a lot of deer...look elsewhere. If you want a chance at a big bodied deer after a hard hunt, this is the area. Hal Blood is also a good suggestion.

IC B2

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been hunting long enough (40+ years) to know that buying a license does not guarantee me a deer. To me, it's all about time spent in the beauty of the woods, doing what I love and making memories.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just got back. Call Randy Flannery at Wilderness
Escape Outfitters. Been there many times. The land of wool coats, rubber boots and still-hunting the thick stuff with an open sighted pump or lever gun.

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Escape Outfitters. Been there many times. The land of wool coats, rubber boots and still-hunting the thick stuff with an open sighted pump or lever gun.

Thanks so much. That's the kind of hunting I'm talkin' about!

Jeff

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He'll be at the Harrisburg show also if you happen to go. With any luck I'll be going back next year, found a shed from a 10 pointer, now I need to find the rest of him but maybe by next year he'll be even bigger.

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Good to know, Dogslife57. The Mrs. and I plan on returning to Harrisburg for the show. My gun club charters a bus for the trip. It'd be great to meet you there.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was thinking of a bear hunt in Maine, and a friend who deer hunts there also recommened Wilderness Escape. He also recommends North Country lodge. He and another friend both killed MONSTER whitetails at North Country.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Any recommendations for a classic Northwoods rifle hunt?
I haven't hunted in Maine since the early 80's, and want to plan a return trip for next year. If you've had a positive experience with a guide, I'd like to hear about him.
Thank you.

Jeff

Sent you a PM.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

I was thinking of a bear hunt in Maine, and a friend who deer hunts there also recommened Wilderness Escape. He also recommends North Country lodge. He and another friend both killed MONSTER whitetails at North Country.

I also hunted North Country years ago and Randy used to guide for them occasionally back then. The Goodman's (if they still own it) are good people and the lodge is very nice. AFAIK they don't do the Harrisburg show anymore just repeat and referral business. On a more local forum a lot of guys have good things to say about Oxbow Lodge, but I've never been there.

Not to change the subject but as for bear I've hunted both places but prefer Wilderness Escape.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Good to know, Dogslife57. The Mrs. and I plan on returning to Harrisburg for the show. My gun club charters a bus for the trip. It'd be great to meet you there.

Jeff

I usually try to go during the week, like a Wed. depending on weather etc. but if you want PM me the week before, if it works to meet up, great.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Oxbow Lodge is very good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Sean Lizotte who owns Allagash Guide Service. I been on three bear hunts with him. Highly recommended.

Allagash Guide Sevice

Dan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.