24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Can anyone give me an idea of barrel life. Loading may approach max, but who knows until I get the rifle, if I get it

Thank you in advance

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Accurate, and easy to load for, with nice velocity, but not kind to barrels. My slow-twist, shooting moly Berger 52's saw significant erosion/cracking after about 500-600 rounds. Mindful, i often shot it like a bench-gun where you might put 10-15 rounds through it in a few minutes.

I still have one for shooting 80 grainers out of an 8 twist, but i've probably built my last one.

Failure's always an option
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was hoping that it would have some decent life, but afraid that I might find out what you have experienced.

Thanks for letting me know. QM

NRA Life Member

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
89tenbus: I have a pair of factory stock Remington 40X "Varmint" Rifles in caliber 22 Remington Bench Rest.
I use them for Colony Varmint Hunting.
I NEVER allow either Rifles barrel to heat up.
And, I am a notorious non-hot rodder when it comes to my accuracy reloading.
I am sure I have more than a thousand rounds down each barrel and have noticed NO loss of the excelent accuracy they came with when they were "new".
I think the 22 Remington Bench Rest cartridge is an extremely efficient (lots of velocity with little powder) cartridge.
I would be very surprised if I ever need to re-barrel either of my 22 Remington Bench Rest Rifles.
I also have another Varmint Rifle (Ruger 77 V/T) in caliber 22 PPC - that might be another caliber for you to consider?
This Ruger is still new and unfired in its box so I have no actual experience with it and its barrel life.
Best of luck to you if you decide to try a 22 BR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just like tires and gas gauges, the first half lasts longer than the second....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Varmintguy, I toyed with the idea of the PPC as well as a 223AI, but I probably could come up with an action with a 308 bolt face easier. The only drawback I have with the BR is that I would like a repeater and I don't believe the BRs fit that scenario effectively. I think the single shot accuracy trumps the repeater need in my mind.

I have a 6BR which is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever laid my hands on and was hoping the 22 version would be the same.

I have posted this question on the accurate shooter forum and the 24 hour campfire forum. I am hearing anywhere from 600-2500 rounds of accurate barrel life for the BR. I am quite surprised with the diversity of answers I am getting. I feel that with proper loading, cleaning, and shooting practices that 2K would be a reasonable expectation.

I was thinking a 12 or 14 inch twist as I will be shooting 55-63 gr heads. What do you shoot and what twists do you have?

Thanks to all for your posts QM

Last edited by 89tenbus; 10/31/13.

NRA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 89tenbus

I have posted this question on the accurate shooter forum and the 24 hour campfire forum. I am hearing anywhere from 600-2500 rounds of accurate barrel life for the BR. I am quite surprised with the diversity of answers I am getting. I feel that with proper loading, cleaning, and shooting practices that 2K would be a reasonable expectation.

You are getting a lot of different answers because of the different uses the owners have. A BR shooter's standards are a lot tighter than a varmint shooters, for instance. Add in natural variation and the range gets pretty wide.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
89tenbus: I am also a big fan of the 6mm Remington Bench Rest cartridge - I get superb accuracy from mine.
IF... I do not get barrel (accuracy!) life of 3,000 rounds out of each of my 22 Remington Bench Rest Rifles I WILL be surprised.
One of my 22 BR's shoots Varmints extremely efficiently with 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips I have not done a lot of load testing with that gun as it shoots these so well I just didn't see much need.
The other 22 BR shoots the Berger 52 grain bullets extremely well and I use these for Rock Chucks and Prairie Dogs.
Loads to follow - phone call!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Feeding a BR ... check into Wyatt's center feed box. I believe it's only "two down" but to me that's better than a single shot.

Barrel life should fall between a .223 and a .22-250 if each is built with the same precision and used the same way. Heating one up but not the others throws the barrel life comparison out the window.

I think the ideal .22 BR would be built on a Remington XR100 or 40X single shot action. Maybe a Ruger #1. With apologies to Blazing Saddles ... "Feed? we don' need to steeenking feed."

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're looking at the expense of building a custom, then don't base it on what action you have lying around. It's easy enough to get a .223 sized bolt action and build a 223 AI if that's what you really want.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you want a repeater, just go to this link and Mike Bryant will give you a step by step answer with photos. This will work on any BR based cartridge.

http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/6BRMagazine.htm

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have had a couple of the 22 BR's. My typical load is 30.5g of R#15 with a 50g Ballisitc tip. This load is pretty tough on barrels. I fire cracked a barrel pretty bad on one hot day of shooting dogs on a day when they were charging the truck(800 rounds).

22 BR is a very intense round for p. dogs in a slow twist.

If you change the powder to something that is in the 3600 fps with a 50g vs 3800 that I was shooting it will save you some barrel life. At that time, did not care much for barrels, dump out a box of 50 and fire until barrel heat distorted the next target to where you could not see.

You have several options, have the bolt face sleeved and a Sako extractor installed, chamber the barrel for a 223 AI, which is what I have gone to over the 22 BR.

Where you see the difference in the 22 BR vs the 223 AI is on heavier bullets of 55g and up.

Repeaters on the br case are hit and miss, I have spoke to some of Bryant's customers on this issue.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
371 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.