-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have one of these in 22 Mag? Wondering about accuracy. I found one for 269.00, is that a good deal?

Thanks

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't anything on these. Biggest issue is where to get ammo and the cost

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I got mine sighted in last Sunday.
I'm really liking this one. I got the compact version, for the shorter barrel. Then added a Limb Saver slip-on pad.

Mine likes CCI Maxi Mags 40gr. hp's. The old standby Power Points work very well, just group about 3/4" lower than the CCI.

That is the same price I paid for mine.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What size group were you getting Terry?

Last edited by passport; 10/27/13.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
I got mine sighted in last Sunday.
I'm really liking this one. I got the compact version, for the shorter barrel. Then added a Limb Saver slip-on pad.

Mine likes CCI Maxi Mags 40gr. hp's. The old standby Power Points work very well, just group about 3/4" lower than the CCI.

That is the same price I paid for mine.

Why would you add a limbsaver when you can get the extension buttplate for $20 or so? Just askin?

I like mine, it is the full size version. Like you, I haven't been able to get enough ammo to really wring it out. Initial results were pleasing.

I got mine for $259 retail ands was pleased.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Had the pad just hiding in a drawer. Plus I don't like the hard plastic butt they come with.

The CCI load will easily go in 1.25"- 1.30" at a hundred from sandbags.

At 50 it will put a full mag of either in one big hole just over 1/2".

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
Had the pad just hiding in a drawer. Plus I don't like the hard plastic butt they come with.

Good reason.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How does the barrel attach on these? Pinned, threaded?

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where y'all getting them; ain't seen one of either caliber sound here.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, got the gun as well as the hard to find #12 Weaver bases. Now to glass, what you guys thinkin? Cant be too expensive, maybe a Weaver 3x9 rimfire? I see good deals on Nitrex glass, any thoughts on them?

Oh yea, might some ammo too. That stuff is hard to come by here

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My son and i bought 2 of the compacts and finally scoped them with redfield 2x7s (american made ones) today. We zeroed at 100yrds and shot 3 shot groups with hornaday 30gr vmax ammo. He shot a group just over 3/4" and mine shot a 1/2" group with 2 of the 3 shots making 1 oval hole. Needless to say we are pretty happy with them. We paid $259 and I'm still shooting from a brick of the hornaday ammo I bought a couple years ago. I bought the longer buttstocks for ours from ruger, they even gave 20% off with a online reg. card that came with the guns. I think these are going to be great for calling fox......got me thinking about selling the 10/22mag, they are a lot lighter and if it keeps shootn like this...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good report willecoyote, I hope mind shoots as well!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by passport
Now to glass, what you guys thinkin? Cant be too expensive, maybe a Weaver 3x9 rimfire?

I put a Simmons 22Mag 3x9 scope on mine, as I have them on all my rimfires and have never had any issues except with them and they always perform well for me.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mine was shooting just under .350" at 25 yds. The scope was broke however and I couldn't adjust the windage. Bummer. Still, it was shooting CCI 40 gr FMJ's better than I could have hoped for. Hopefully when I can find some HP's it will shoot as well.

A keeper for sure and it mates up nicely with the Old Model Single Six 22 Mag I just picked up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dropped by a new local store that opened last week. I was surprised to see a compact model on the rack for $270 and even more surprised when I saw that they actually had .22 WMR 30 grain V-Max polymer tip ammo in stock. (They also had the V-Max HPs.) I came home and read this thread and then went back to buy it before the gun and ammo disappeared. They had a 3 box limit on the ammo but I convinced them to let me get 4 so I could use one for sighting in the rifle I was buying from them. I ordered the Weaver #12 bases off Ruger's website. I back ordered some spare magazines from Cabela's with an estimated ship date of 0 to 1 weeks.

The short stock seems fine to me, and I am not in a rush to order a longer insert.

I will be scoping it with an older Vari-X II 4-12 AO.

This thread really helped me out. Thanks. I will report back after it is all set up and I get to shoot it.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 11/18/13.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
FYI,

I got my spare mag straight from Ruger arrived at my home in 3 days.

Have fun with the compact!

When I bought mine I was limited to one (1) box of ammo. Sheesh!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just got an email from Boyd's... they are making stocks available in several laminate colors for the new Ruger American Rimfire...

just thought I'd pass it on...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well, it looks like my results mirror willecoyote�s. With huntsman22�s advice, I decided to go with Weaver high rings. They didn�t have Grand Slams at the local Sportsman�s, so I had to go with high Weaver black matte Tactical rings, which no doubt will cause everyone to mistake me for a ninja SWAT sniper.

Bore sighting the scope I maxed out on windage dialing to the right, which I thought was going to be a problem. I ended up getting back some slack while actually sighting in. The wind was blowing (as usual) today, but at least it was from behind me. I got sighted at 50 yards with 30 grain V-Max polymer tips and moved to 100. The first three were a couple of inches low. I tried to dial up an inch and the second group was higher but more spread out. I was pretty impressed overall. You guys who have better technique (that would be most of you), less wind (that would be almost all of you) and good bench rest setups can probably do a whole lot better than me. (See TERRY8mm's results on the other thread. shocked ) This gun is more than enough to meet my needs, and I look forward to learning it. It�s going in the truck so I have it available whenever I head toward the woods.

I will say that the action feels a little rough when cycling with ammo, but it's not really a big deal.

Rig

[Linked Image]

First 3 shot group at 100

[Linked Image]

Second 3 shot group at 100

[Linked Image]

Sorry, no cool dead animal pictures.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got one but haven't shot it yet. Extra mags have been on order thru Ruger's online store for over a month. Looking forward to getting out and using it.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finally got a chance to shoot my RAR 22 Mag and find he gun to be super picky, it will only shoot Hornady 30 grn V-max but it shoots em really well. 1/2 inch at 50 and just under an inch at 100 for 5 shot groups, no flyers, just solid consistent groups. Best 269 bucks I spent in a while.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.