-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Was at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and handled a Uberti 1873 Stallion in 38 Special (a miniature Peacemaker clone), long barrel & fixed sights, $419.00. Looks to be close to Ruger Single Six in size but is a 6 shot 38 Special... too small to get anything larger in it. They come only in 38 Special and 22 LR with a standard plowhandle or a Colt lightning style grip. I think that they come with a funky cylinder pin safety, which hopefully there is a replacement for.

Sooo... Does anyone have any experience with these; Quality, accuracy and durability?

Thanks,

jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 12/06/13.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've had a couple of Uberti Peacemaker clones, and they're nice guns. The only issue I have is that one of them came with VERY soft steel trigger/hammer/sear parts that wore down quickly. I've read about this elsewhere. The higher-end importers (Cimarron, etc) tend to have better quality parts, while the lower-end imports don't.

The problem is fixable by a decent gunsmith (the parts should be case-hardened prior to you shooting the gun much at all) or even on your own with a product called Kasenit, obtainable from Brownell's, so I wouldn't let this problem stop you if you really like the gun.

FWIW, my Uberti 1873 clone that I use in Cowboy Action matches shoots as well as or better than my genuine 1907-vintage SAA.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I've had a couple of Uberti Peacemaker clones, and they're nice guns. The only issue I have is that one of them came with VERY soft steel trigger/hammer/sear parts that wore down quickly. I've read about this elsewhere. The higher-end importers (Cimarron, etc) tend to have better quality parts, while the lower-end imports don't.

The problem is fixable by a decent gunsmith (the parts should be case-hardened prior to you shooting the gun much at all) or even on your own with a product called Kasenit, obtainable from Brownell's, so I wouldn't let this problem stop you if you really like the gun.

FWIW, my Uberti 1873 clone that I use in Cowboy Action matches shoots as well as or better than my genuine 1907-vintage SAA.
I shot a Uberti for the better part of a decade, and it was with stout loads and I personally never experienced any problems with the hammer/trigger. When I did a trigger job, I found the steel to be softer than a Colt, but not dramatically softer. One of the more common problems with the Colts are broken sears and half cock notches. This is because the sear area is very small, and so hard they are brittle. IMO Uberti (at least on my gun) corrected this problem two fold. One, the sear area on the end of the trigger was much thicker, and two; the softer metal means it is more ductile and will give rather than break. I'm not saying Doc is wrong; he tends to know his chit. Just saying my experience with one I owned in the '80's and the last one I had was different. But this was the full size Uberti Peacemaker, not the small one.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Jerry,

Shoot a PM to Bristoe. I know he picked one of those up a year or so ago. I liked the idea of them, but I never saw one in person, so I haven't owned one.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Uberti makes a good sixgun and they have constantly improved their product over the last 10-15yrs. However, I have yet to see a significant difference between any of the importers. They're all made in the same place and to the same specs. Cimarron just claims to have their own QC people at the Uberti and/or Pietta factories.

These guns are also available in .41Colt.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 61 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.