24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dallas1 Offline OP
OP Offline
My original post was in error for type of scope....
<br>
<br>I have recently acquired a Model 99 (a G model perhaps) serial number is 369XXX. Rifle is a take down model, full threads on barrel, serial numbers on the wood all match. It has pistol grip stock, checkered as well as on the forearm.
<br>
<br>Caliber is 250-3000.
<br>
<br>I has bead front sight on an integral ramp and Lyman tang sight on rear.
<br>
<br>The scope mount is basically a flat plate affixed to the left hand side of the receiver and topped with a quick detach device which holds the 7/8 rings which are integral with a dovetail device which locks onto the plate using the levers. Two levers (on the receiver plate) flip over to release the scope and rings and allows the scope to slide off toward the muzzel. The scope is a Weaver 330.
<br>
<br>I can see no evidence of drilling or screws holding the plate to the receiver.
<br>
<br>Is this original or what???
<br>
<br>Any clues would help....

Last edited by Dallas1; 08/20/02.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dallas1,
<br>
<br>It sounds like a Griffin & Howe side mount. I didn't know that G&H made scopes, but the most common 7/8" scope is the Lyman Alaskan. G&H side mounts were not, to the best of my knowledge, ever a factory option.
<br>
<br>Unless the gunsmith who installed it silver soldered the base to the receiver, there are screws and pins there somewhere.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FWIW My Griffin & Howe rifle has the same mount with a Lyman Alaskan on it. After installing they cut off the screw heads and buffed every thing flush and then blued the gun, you cannot tell how it is mounted if you didn't know they are mounted with threaded stock.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dallas
<br>
<br>Tilt the rifle back and forth under a bright light and you will probably be able to see the heads of the three bolts and two pins holding that plate to the receiver, the steel is not the same as the plate so the blue finish will be a trifle different, very hard to see the way Griffin & Howe did it. That is the most desirable scope mount possible on an old 99 in my opinion, and if you go to the www.griffinhowe.com website you can see the horrible sum they charge to put one on today, hundreds of bucks.
<br>
<br>Miki

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dallas1 (I see you found the POST button),
<br>
<br>The only thing I can add is that the Old Rifle Scope book lists the mount at $150-350 plus $30 if split rings. If your scope is a Lyman Alaskan you can add $150.
<br>
<br>Rick....

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dallas
<br>
<br>I am a G&H nut, own some of their rifles, live not far from their store, knock a little bit off Rick99s' valuations, G&H mounts go on ebay in the $100-200 range, Lyman Alaskans he has about right for one in X condition, but if you have an original g&h mount for a WWII or Korean War sniper Garand the sky is the limit, I mean $500 sometimes. Nice thing about the 99 installation is that most of the time G&H set the scope down low, looked neat and you did not need a high comb on the stock. The mounts have a good reputation for holding zero when removed and replaced, not quite as good as a Weaver which, despite low price is probably the best mount for keeping zero, but still excellent.
<br>
<br>Good luck with it, you have a real find.
<br>
<br>Miki
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Folks:
<br>
<br>I have an older 99E (DOB 1926) that had a G & H mount that I removed because one of the rings was messed up. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement ring so I can put this rig back together? They are for a 1" tube and slide in a groove and lock to the mount.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>
<br>Elwood

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elwood
<br>
<br>For a single ring you will have to go to G&H and pay their price. Pairs of rings occasionally show up on the auction sites - ebay, gunbroker, auctionarms. Pairs of rings attached to female dovetail bars ready to slide onto the male dovetail base on the rifle, show up quite frequently, as do complete mounts. By frequently I mean up to several monthly. I checked and there is nothing today, but they are around and available.
<br>
<br>On auctionarms and gunbroker search for "Howe", as some sellers misspell "Griffin" as "Griffen". On ebay look for "Griffin & Howe", you have to narrow the request, there are too many Griffins and Howes out there to use the names separately. You do not want a "top" bracket or "offset" mount, these were for Garands and Winchester 94s and set the scope directly over the male dovetail on the left side of the rifle.
<br>
<br>Miki
<br>

Dallas1 Offline OP
OP Offline
You are correct, I was (in my haste to post) in error on the scope ...it is a Weaver 330.
<br>
<br>Any chance this was installed by the factory???
<br>
<br>One of my reference books states that the factory did offer fitting of a Weaver scope as a factory option...

Dallas1 Offline OP
OP Offline
In my hasty posting I mis-stated the scope..it is in fact a Weaver 330.
<br>
<br>Do you think this installation might have been factory done???
<br>
<br>

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dallas1,
<br>
<br>Although Savage offered to factory install Weaver scopes in some catalogs, I think that they were all offered in Weaver mounts. I have all of the Savage catalogs, that I know of, from 1920 to the mid-1980's and I don't recall seeing a G&H mount offered in any of them.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thanks for the info.....should be able to find something.
<br>
<br>Elwood

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

<br>Dallas
<br>
<br>
<br>Virtually no chance your scope was Savage installed, owner would have had to know someone in the shop!
<br>
<br>But with smoothed over base it almost certainly was G&H installed, which is better, as they had jigs for practically every kind of action.
<br>
<br>Weaver 330 was cheaper than a Lyman Alaskan, not quite as good optically, but still a classy old scope, used by the military for the Springfield 1903A3 sniper rifle in WWII, makes a very trim neat installation on a 99. Value of a 330 in X shape on ebay probably about 100 unless it is a marked military version, in which case sky is the limit.
<br>
<br>Miki

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.