-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, your 300 H&H would run neck and neck with a 308 Norma. Since it is neither efficient nor light, may as well sell it to me, right? smile One of my favorite all time cartridges there, especially if it is housed in any kind of Mauser or Model 70 action.

From what I can see, you have a really good caliber and rifles lineup, so what I would do now (You DID ask in the thread title, ya know.... smile ) is sell off this extra gun, and maybe a few others, then use the money to go on some kind of a great hunt!

I am with you on saying NO to muzzle brakes. Have had two, will never have another.

Thanks for the forebearance, too.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by safariman
Actually, your 300 H&H would run neck and neck with a 308 Norma. Since it is neither efficient nor light, may as well sell it to me, right? smile One of my favorite all time cartridges there, especially if it is housed in any kind of Mauser or Model 70 action.

The .300 is on neither action mentioned but it is a Winchester, just a 1917 rechmbered to the H&H cartridge. Found it for $100 several years ago in a local gun shop and about $700 later I had a heavy rifle, that shoots pretty well.

It'll shoot like this.

[Linked Image]

Looks like this now, and it is heavy.

[Linked Image]L

Looked like this when I bought it, but I forgot to take a picture before the scope and mount were added.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like it! Here is my 1917 (The only Remington in my stable) in my wildcat 340 Tyrannosaur:

[Linked Image]

Easily my deadliest, most used rifle by a wide margin. Took a really big black bear at 350 yards with it this year, and then loaned it to a kid from my church who used it to take his first Elk with it just a few weeks ago. It has been a primary rifle and a loaner in Africa and Alaska several times each.

Mine started out kind of like yours, a semi sporterized 1917 in 30/06 in 1973 (My 13th birthday present from my dad) and through the years it has morphed into a highly customized 30/06, then a 300 WBY and finally 20 years ago now its current - and probably final - version as an ultrafast 33. 225gr TTSX's at a chronographed 3100fps flat out WORK on larger game.

One more view:

[Linked Image]

The stock on mine is a Boyds JRS Classic that has been slimmed down a bunch, grip area opened up and slimmed down to my favorite 4.25 inch diameter, and stained a dark Walnut color.

Barrel was a Mc Gowan SS 300WBY tube, but when I wore it out I had the late Dick Nickel re bore and re chamber it to its current itineration. Scope is a Burris Euro Diamond Posi Lock model.

10lbs, but with the kind of ammo it uses I don't think I want it to weigh much less than that. Pretty comfortable to shoot, actually.

If you decide that your 300 H&H is not going to see any use, lets talk trade sometime. I think the 1917's are great - if heavy - actions upon which to build some big rifles on.

Thanks for sharing!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I have a .375 Ruger, .35 Whelen, and two .338-06 rifles so I don't think a 9.3X62 is in order. 7X57 isn't one I have any interest in as well, I've tried a bunch of 7mm cartridges and can't warm up to any of them.

you should try the 28x57 you would like it a whole lot better

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I have a .375 Ruger, .35 Whelen, and two .338-06 rifles so I don't think a 9.3X62 is in order. 7X57 isn't one I have any interest in as well, I've tried a bunch of 7mm cartridges and can't warm up to any of them.

you should try the 28x57 you would like it a whole lot better

I've owned over the years, two 7mm Rem Mags, two 7mm-08, .280 Rem, .280 GRN, and a .28X57. Granted the 7X57 was just an old Spanish 93 sporter and wasn't the best example of a rifle chambered for the cartridge a guy could own. It shot well enough with the receiver mounted peep sight, that I could have probably hunted with it and done okay. About the only cartridge that holds any interest for me in 7mm is the 7-30 Waters in either a single shot rifle or a bolt action like the Remington 788 would be pretty cool.

In the end I preferred my old .270 Win over all the 7mm's I tried. wink

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I'm more interested in accuracy above all else, efficiency would be second, and speed would come third if I had to rank things. I don't shoot the powder burners as well as I prefer light weight and no muzzle breaks.

With that criteria I would look at the 6XC.

Thanks for the offer for the stock. I will pass on that one as I was looking for the more "traditional" HVA lines. What do you think that thing is? An old Fajen?

Semper Fi

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by haverluk
I'm more interested in accuracy above all else, efficiency would be second, and speed would come third if I had to rank things. I don't shoot the powder burners as well as I prefer light weight and no muzzle breaks.

With that criteria I would look at the 6XC.

Thanks for the offer for the stock. I will pass on that one as I was looking for the more "traditional" HVA lines. What do you think that thing is? An old Fajen?

If I were doing a short action that would be a contender, but I don't want to waste all that magazine space.

I think it is a Fajen from what I've been told, but I'm not familiar with the stocks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 59 invisible), 3,215 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.