24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went down south on our annual bird safari, shot sharptails, chukars, and roosters.
Stopped by Whitewolf Ranch to shoot some farmed birds that i had traded a gun for - if I'm going to travel over 9 hours to shoot birds for a week I'm going to make it worthwhile LOL!
[Linked Image]
The boy used his grand dad's 14 gauge muzzle loader when we hunted these chukars- lots of fun in the rain!
[Linked Image]
Here's a brace of birds with my all time favourite- my Westley Richards hammer 12:>)
[Linked Image]
Shot some sharptails with my new Pedersoli hammer double as well- the first ones for this gun.
Cat
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JWP58
[Linked Image]

Yours truly in the middle of the picture (photo taken probably at least a mile away with a 300mm lens on a canon dslr)

1700 miles, no chukar, lots of rain, and a wild hun covey flush. And my credit card bill will have a few extra pages..

laugh laugh grin

We don't call then "Devil Birds" for no reason... whistle whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kansas opening weekend. Populations way down, but pic opportunites presented themselves-

Brother in law and his 9 year old GSP-
[Linked Image]

Nephew and a 100+ year old rock fence post-
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
JWP, Welcome to western bird hunting!!! But look at the fun you had and the beautiful country you saw.. Next fall, I would like to make a tour of the states west of Wy. and try a bit of bird hunting there..
Cat, beautiful hammer guns.. Always wanted to add one to my collection of doubles, but ended up selling all of them before I got it done.. Great shooting..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Especially Grouse which have to be the dumbest bird ever.

JMO,,, carry on.

The Eastern Appalachian family tree will make you think differently.

That's exactly right. They will drive you crazy in the mountains of thick laurel and young woods add the steep terrain and sometimes when you get a good shot you hope to kill it out of spite. lol. I used to hunt them but Idon't have a dog now. The very last time I went I jumped 5 and killed 4 of them so I quit on a high.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
JWP, Welcome to western bird hunting!!! But look at the fun you had and the beautiful country you saw..

True. Next year I have higher hopes as I've actually got some knowledge after having feet on the ground. I'm also going to spend WAY more time scouting in the off season. I was working midnights this year and became a lazy ass on my days off.

I have some inside info on some birds in Wyo, so maybe, just maybe I'll find some come December. Also I still plan on heading down to Texas for Quail, maybe i'll have some luck down there.

Otherwise, this is by far the worst hunting season I've ever had. I feel bad for my dog lol.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had a great time in SD this year
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
JW, If I were in your shoes, I would look over the country with in close driving distance of my home.. Say 3 hours.. Long trips are fun, if you have a decent chance of shooting.. Years ago quail were abundant in Az. and I went every year, and we did well.. Now they are pretty scarce, at least in the areas I hunted.. So I have abandoned that.. My best bird shooting usually comes in areas I can hunt often.. You are close to some decent pheasant hunting in Neb., maybe some quail, and sharptails.. If you make some contacts for hunting spots, you could slip over these pretty often and have some good shooting I would think.. I used to have a pal in Neb. near Kimble we shot some pheasants every fall for years.. Lost touch with him and got to doing other things so I haven't hunted there for years.. Eastern Wy. has some good shooting also, but it gets pretty crowded.. Some of the public shooting areas over there used to produce some birds for me pretty often.. When you think of a ten day trip for birds, without a guide, you will loose some days scouting, some days due to bad conditons, a few days when the birds seem to disappear from the earth, that leaves just a very few days the shooting might be good.. I have always had my best shooting when I could slip out for a few hours each day.. By hunting areas close to home, we get to know them better, we are less stressed to do well when we do put up birds, so I shoot better..
Long trips are fun, but unless you have lots of time to devote to the hunt or hire guide, they can be very tough..One other thing, if you hunt for less glamorous birds, the shooting can be much better.. I went to Montana one year for sage grouse and sharptails.. Had a great time.. A few local guys out, lots of birds and no other hunters.. Come pheasant season the story is much different.. Just a suggestion..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got my boy out today for some preserve birds. Bloody my 16 bore and had a blast, just he a and I. Cant think of better way to spend a day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the advice. The only reason Im heading to Texas to hunt quail is, its home (real home). Plus its public land, and I know there are birds there. (and most folks don't hunt scalies, they want bobs).

I've got a few spots to check fairly close to home, but for the most part I usually drive about 5hrs one way. I'm not crazy about the idea of driving all over Nebraska trying to find a walk in area that hasn't been grazed down to nothing and crap land that wouldn't hold birds if you had a coop there. I've already wasted my time doing that in eastern Wyoming (and honestly the land the WYGF waste their money on for WIA's is a joke, and I hope they don't pay top dollar for access).

I had planned on ptarmigan hunting this past year but the flooding ruined that, but I plan to spend a good bit of time looking for them this summer (they are close, nobody hunts them, ect). Also I have a pretty close spot for blues. No many folks as you know i'm sure, well at least with a dog and shotgun.

If I wanted to pay out the wazoo and use someone else's dog Im sure a guide in SD or ND would be fine. But I know this is only my second season in my current location and realize its going to take years to find "my spots". It will just make it that much more sweeter in the end I guess when I do find a few honey holes. Plus better weather and bird numbers wouldn't hurt.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We don't have a ton of upland birds in tn. anymore. So I have resorted to pigeon shooting like the britts do. Have been smoking them though!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
i took my adult son out to south dakota for pheasants a few weeks ago. we were at the snake den lodge in presho,sd. we had a blast! got our limits every day.

thanks to some tips from folks on this board, i located the snake den and booked the hunt.

i highly recommend them.

thanks again for the info and tips. we're gonna do this hunt again next year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fun weekend with the pup.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GuNR and I found a couple limits this weekend. Lots of miles in the snow wore him out, but he loved it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He loves his job.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You have a good one and you are both together at the right time and place.

Great pics, always enjoy them,

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mtmiller
Fun weekend with the pup.

[Linked Image]

That's a nice-looking retrieve on a head-up cockbird. Hope he didn't get spurred!! Shoot better next time.
wink

But seriously, great pics, and thanks for sharing. I miss cold weather prairie pheasant-hunting!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.