Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have only 8 rounds of old Winchester Bismuth BB left, so will probably have to do something different. I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of handloading for the 10 gauge alone.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I again see I see people wanting their equipment to make up for hunting skill, as we've seen in archery(compounds and sights), muzzle loading(inlines and scopes), modern rifle big game(insanely powerful cartridges, lazer range finders even lazer scopes). Waterfowling, 3.5" heavier than steel, semi autos to really reach out there.

Learning to hunt ducks and put them on the "X" dropping them at 20 yrds DEAD is so much more rewarding than banging away at 50 yrds and seeing them rock and keep going or fall,swim away or dive and and spend the next 20min chasing them around and trying to swat them on the water.

I HUNT NOTHING BUT PUBLIC LAND, but I've spent a lot of time finding "X" where no one else is hunting. Back corners, skinny water that only holds a couple of decoys, areas you can't get to in a 16ft jon boats, decoy rigs that no one else uses, rivers near big public areas that ducks escape to, willing to pack a bag of decoys a long way, hunting on days nobody is there and on and on.

Taking longer and longer shots just makes ducks fly higher and farther from the shore. I have a spot that I hunt that is just a couple of hundred yards from a very popular point that I'm constantly going to and picking up all the spent hulls. when the ducks fly the shoreline you can see the swing way out around the point even when no one is there, yet where I'm at with no blind just sitting on the open shore without even any grass to hide in and y dog laying along side me the duck have no problem sailing into the decoys.

I shoot 13/16 oz of ITX 4's or6's out of a very old hammer sxs or a 20ga sxs with steel 4's. I do very well and have a lot of fun and very little frustration. I seldom stay long enough to limit out but rarely come home empty handed, once I've got a few ducks in the bag for dinner it's time to rest the area. Limits are those days that they go nuts trying to get into the decoys in a short period of time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 12/23/13.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Niice back action!
i use Bismuth in my 12 bore Westley Richards hammer double but also shoot a W.R. bar in wood 10 bore for geese.
110 grains of FFG and 1 1/4oz of 2/s work fantastic in it!
Cat
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great stuff nothing better than an old hammer gun. Our forefathers weren't hurting in the firearms department just transportation.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
Great stuff nothing better than an old hammer gun. Our forefathers weren't hurting in the firearms department just transportation.

HHA ! Yup, She's a fine gun, and not nearly as heavy as the newer ones or some of the other vintage guns I have shot.
My buddy just got a W&C Scott that is a full 10 3/4lbs!!
The chamber walls are 1/4" thick on that gun, and the barrels are incredibly smooth and even when we ran the thickness gauge through it.
That gun was a magnum in its day!
My 10( the one in the pic) was likely made when the were using lighter loads as well, I have no problem shooting 12 bore sized loads through it and it carries quite nicely.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Boss shotgun shells. Made in usa and great customer service. Bismuth shot shells.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 9 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,406
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.