-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have seen a few posts on 6.5-300 win mag in shooter forums in the past. List speeds with bullet weights and powders used.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" but I like the shorter neck of the 300 WinMag for my 6.5 project."

safariman : care to elaborate on that please ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since two people asked, I am still in the light bullets at warp speeds camp. No need for a long neck with such pills. And, the less neck contact with the bullet - to a point - the better the potential accuracy (or so I read, hear, etc) Seemed to work well with my 7mm Mashburn and a few other of my favorite wildcats.

Shortening the neck also gives one a longer case body and room for more gunpowder. And, they LOOK cool and fast that way. All fuel, no payload smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mark,

I developed a wildcat 6.5 mm on a 300WM case, modified by blowing the shoulder out by decreasing the taper of the case. Also moved the shoulder forward, shortening the neck to maximize case capacity. I had Dave Manson make the reamer - so he has the case drawings and reamer specs - and had a M-70 Classic 264 WM re-chambered with it.

I still have the load data and case drawings. If you want more details PM me. Very accurate - best 300 yd group I've ever shot. It produced very similar ballistics to the 6.5/300 Wby you mentioned, but with a more commonly available case. The high MV with 140 grain bullets and common case availability were the main goals I had in mind in this design.

Also used the same case for a 7mm and a 358 version as well. Still have the 358 in a Model 700 Rem - pretty good elk rifle.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wildcatter,

Great and informative post. My deal fell though for the Model 70 264 WinMag so I will not be pursuing this project. Sticking with the 257WBY as a deer rifle.

Thanks bunches for the offer, I might need the help on a future project, though.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
SM, glad to help if I can.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Why not do a 6.5/378 weatherby magnum AI'd
King of em all.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom264
Why not do a 6.5/378 weatherby magnum AI'd
King of em all.

Don't tempt me.... <G>

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by safariman
Very early in the AM, no breeze yet. The hold was going to place my bullet somewhere between the brisket and the Withers just behind the foreleg which means a clean miss or a kill shot. Experiences of the past told me I was going to get a center of the ribcage hit, through the boiler room, and I was right.

I and my hunting buddies shoot Mule deer at 400 yards plus every year, and know how and where to hold. We practice on varmints all spring and summer. Like with a traditional archer or shotgunner who kill game regularly, we don't always know all of the math to the Nth degree but lots and lots of practice and experience combined with super speed rounds bring it all together. Been doing it this way, successfully, for a long time now.

Don't know how, or more to the point WHY, a discussion of my wildcat cartridge idea went this direction. If ya'll want to shoot sedate catridges and do the turret twisting thing, go forth and be happy. Some of us do it another way, and we are also successful and have loads of fun with our methods. And, we kill our game cleanly and swiftly.

Your discussion could have ended before it started by contacting just about any reamer or die manufacturer.

If you and your buddies practice all summer on varmints, why would you possibly want a fire breathing magnum? I personally don't feel comfortable at longer yardages unless I put a couple hundred cartridges a year minimum at that range. With a fire breather, that's going to come out to a couple years of barrel life.

Try some turrets sometime. You will be loathe to go back to the "hold over and pray" technique.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WhT about a 6.5-378 weatherby?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Or a 6.5-50 BMG. Or a 6.5-20mm.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Or a 6.5-50 BMG. Or a 6.5-20mm.

NOW were talkin! A Barret Model 82 semi auto, 36 inch barrel (Lilja three groove of course) chambered in the 264/50BMG!

Have Karnis build me a pretty stock for it out of exhibition grade Claro Walnut, top it with a Barska or BSA 8-32x66mm scope and VOILA'! crazy

You guys are killin me here!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You'd only need one five round magazine for it. There would be plenty of time to thumb more rounds in while the barrel was being changed. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very early in the AM, no breeze yet. The hold was going to place my bullet somewhere between the brisket and the Withers just behind the foreleg which means a clean miss or a kill shot. Experiences of the past told me I was going to get a center of the ribcage hit, through the boiler room, and I was right.

I and my hunting buddies shoot Mule deer at 400 yards plus every year, and know how and where to hold. We practice on varmints all spring and summer. Like with a traditional archer or shotgunner who kill game regularly, we don't always know all of the math to the Nth degree but lots and lots of practice and experience combined with super speed rounds bring it all together. Been doing it this way, successfully, for a long time now.

Don't know how, or more to the point WHY, a discussion of my wildcat cartridge idea went this direction. If ya'll want to shoot sedate catridges and do the turret twisting thing, go forth and be happy. Some of us do it another way, and we are also successful and have loads of fun with our methods. And, we kill our game cleanly and swiftly.

Your discussion could have ended before it started by contacting just about any reamer or die manufacturer.

If you and your buddies practice all summer on varmints, why would you possibly want a fire breathing magnum? I personally don't feel comfortable at longer yardages unless I put a couple hundred cartridges a year minimum at that range. With a fire breather, that's going to come out to a couple years of barrel life.

Try some turrets sometime. You will be loathe to go back to the "hold over and pray" technique.

Contact a reamer person first.... how much fun would THAT have been?!? And how would it have helped my post count? Headed for Campfire Oracle here, donchaknow <G>

Actually, I don't give a rip over my campfire title, but I DO care about having fun discussions here and sharing ideas and constructive criticism even.

The Varmint Rifles we shoot mimick our CF deer rifles, and we do use our big game rifles (including even my 416 Rigby) on ground squirells and such so it is far more than a holdover and pray deal when I or my deer camp guys shoot at fairly distant mule deer bucks. When I pull the trigger, I am fully expecting a resounding "THA-WHACK sound to come resonating back at me and to see a deer on the ground, usually not moving. The deer I shot this year at 618 lazered yards did walk a little bit after the hit, as a 25 caliber, 100gr bullet has lost quite a bit of zip and energy by the time it reaches 618, which is oneo f the reasons I am considering building a sor to super 6.5. I also bought some newly released Barnes 115gr 25 cal TTSX's and plan to Moly them up and try them this year in my new PacNor 27.5 inch 257WBY barrel. Might just be the ticket to get a little more stomp onto a mule deer waaaaaayyyy out there.

On the topic of Turrets though, My good friend Jim Hackewicz really loves his CDS turret on his Leupold scopes and various rifles. Once I settle on my rifle and load, I could see myself liking such an arraingment.

I had kind of thought that my idea for a 6.5/300 WinMag was a non starter since the deal fell through for me to trade my LSA-55 308 for a model 70 in 264WM, but I am sure that my gunsmith has not yet ordered my new barrel yet, and soI still COULD go 264 WinMag or my wildcat idea, but build it on my FN Mauser which has already had its bolt face and feed rails modified for a Medium length Magnum cartridge! Rifle came to me as a 257WBY with too short of a barrel, so re barreling to any similar length magnum round is within the realm of possibilities.

I think I will start a new thread about that very topic, i.e. WWYD to build the perfect long range deer rifle using a magnum bolt face commercial Mauser as the starting point.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
You'd only need one five round magazine for it. There would be plenty of time to thumb more rounds in while the barrel was being changed. grin

Laffin out loud here, that was a GOOD one!

I wonder if Lilja gives a discount for buying, say, 10 barrels at a time... Probably will need three or four of them to sight the beast IN.

Gettin harder and harder to convincemy wife that I hunt for the "free" meat, though crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Contact a reamer person first.... how much fun would THAT have been?!? And how would it have helped my post count? Headed for Campfire Oracle here, donchaknow <G>

Actually, I don't give a rip over my campfire title, but I DO care about having fun discussions here and sharing ideas and constructive criticism even.

The Varmint Rifles we shoot mimick our CF deer rifles, and we do use our big game rifles (including even my 416 Rigby) on ground squirells and such so it is far more than a holdover and pray deal when I or my deer camp guys shoot at fairly distant mule deer bucks. When I pull the trigger, I am fully expecting a resounding "THA-WHACK sound to come resonating back at me and to see a deer on the ground, usually not moving. The deer I shot this year at 618 lazered yards did walk a little bit after the hit, as a 25 caliber, 100gr bullet has lost quite a bit of zip and energy by the time it reaches 618, which is oneo f the reasons I am considering building a sor to super 6.5. I also bought some newly released Barnes 115gr 25 cal TTSX's and plan to Moly them up and try them this year in my new PacNor 27.5 inch 257WBY barrel. Might just be the ticket to get a little more stomp onto a mule deer waaaaaayyyy out there.

On the topic of Turrets though, My good friend Jim Hackewicz really loves his CDS turret on his Leupold scopes and various rifles. Once I settle on my rifle and load, I could see myself liking such an arraingment.

I had kind of thought that my idea for a 6.5/300 WinMag was a non starter since the deal fell through for me to trade my LSA-55 308 for a model 70 in 264WM, but I am sure that my gunsmith has not yet ordered my new barrel yet, and soI still COULD go 264 WinMag or my wildcat idea, but build it on my FN Mauser which has already had its bolt face and feed rails modified for a Medium length Magnum cartridge! Rifle came to me as a 257WBY with too short of a barrel, so re barreling to any similar length magnum round is within the realm of possibilities.

I think I will start a new thread about that very topic, i.e. WWYD to build the perfect long range deer rifle using a magnum bolt face commercial Mauser as the starting point.

When did these bullets come out???? I know they make a 25cal 115gr FB barnes that requires a 1-9" twist. Why not just wait till the new 26nosler comes out whats the big rush to make a wildcat when what your asking is already going to come out soon?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark- Knowing your fondness for wildcats and barrel burners, I'd do the 6.5-300WM in a heart beat.

What will you do for dies?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I thought these two rifles interesting, so I picked them up. They were built for and owned by C.A.Jr. I am curious as to the time frame of building the 6.5-300 and the release of the 264 WIN Mag. Thoughts on why he chose the 300 case? WC264 I could make use of that load data, will PM if that's cool? A friend has necked down two cases and loaded them with 15gr of unique topped off with cream of wheat, and a toilet paper plug. To form cases to send to the die maker. Not sure whether to chamber them and pull the trigger with my finger, or a long string ran around a sturdy building.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dell, Damn COOL rifles there!

Plenty of useable load data that will give you a starting point.

I have been looking for a LH rifle for my brother in law, I would love to trade you out of either or both rifles. Please let me know if either one is expendable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, clean up your pm box.
Sent you a email titled 300 win 264 win

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.