Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
As far as I know, Boxer has had a long string of success with the Hornady 105 AMax at both close and far ranges.

However, he has been using the Hornady 105 HPBT match bullet recently and found that it also is highly effective at both close and far ranges.

BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sample of one from this year.

Onside lung offside shoulder shot.

190 yards, 243 w/90 Scenar.

Dropped out of sight at the shot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Boxer

[Linked Image]

That's a cool looking buck!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 85 Sierra is definitely more than just some coyote bullet. At this point I prefer them over 100 grain Speer or the factory loaded 100 grain Hornady or Core lokts I used to use for that matter.

I always go for double lung. If I shot for shoulders I would go straight to the Barnes.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shoulder shot with a 243 and an 85TSX. It worked...

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a nice buck and rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not too shabby Darrik....grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not totally Dick. Deer hunting is different all around the country. Reading about "cull hunting" and "paying by antler class" and "shooting in front of feeders" and calling deer "dinks" is a style of hunting that I don't care for. If shooting the deer through both shoulders is the only way to prevent losing a deer in the brush and rattle snakes, I can accept that. Shooting a deer through both shoulders or blowing out the hindquarters so you can get those horns just to save a little tracking is meat wasteful. I was hunting WI with a guy who said if he saw nice antlers on a deer, he would shoot it in the hindquarters just to get it. We were on busy public land so it may be a conditioned mindset to allow that. There is a sickening trend of people dumping headless deer here in MN because all they wanted is a shoulder mount. So when does blowing out all the meat blur over to cutting the head off? My father always told me if we shot the hindquarters out that he would take my hunting away because we are wasting the meat. That's how I was raised. I assume Texas allows you to take several deer so throwing the shoulders in the scrap bucket isn't a big deal. Up here in MN, we are quite limited to one deer typically and only a few days to hunt so maybe you should expand your mind to my perspective, huh, Dick?

We ain't all like that. There are certainly some hunters in Texas, as well as others states, that get too caught up in the mount over the respect for the animal, but I can most assuredly vouch that there are MORE of us in Texas that'd be happy with a doe with no meat damage over a wall hanger that got all torn up. I make the analogy to the huntin' shows being a fair and accurate representation of the actual real world deer hunting opportunities available to the average hunter. Yeah right. We don't all drive King Ranch diesel F-250's with matching bass boats and we don't all get a chance to shoot even 100 class deer.

Enough on that. I really like Winchester's 100 gr PowerMax bonded pointed hollow points. They punch straight through and they hold together. Last year I blew a softball sized chunk of spine out of a wild hog at 215 yds with one, and I wouldn't have any issue trying to break both shoulders on a deer if I absolutely had to.

Now one last thing. As far as shooting a deer in a certain spot so as to limit the amount of potential tracking that might need to be done, the one thing the Texas weather has going for it is that we have the opportunity to use the world's FINEST blood trailing dog, the Texas Blue Lacy. If the deer or hog runs more than I can see into the brush, I just go get my lacy girl, Lilly, and she goes straight to em. The 243 has not needed backup in my experience, but should I ever need a little help, Lilly has my back!

...on earth as it is in Texas.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yesterday's 105AM fun...

[Linked Image]

Dug out of deer shot at 115, 419, and 83 yards, respectively.

Why can't I get a pulse?!
[Linked Image]

Are your tracking skills up to the challenge, Stevie Wonder?

[Linked Image]

The 105 AM does just fine near and far, IME.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn...looks like someone shoved a M80 in his pumper.

What Dozier model is that?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I believe it's a "Personal utility", but I'm not 100% sure as it was gifted to me by a good friend.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bullet failures. Fifty years ago, I had some too stoutly constructed 150 grain ..270 Bronze Points fail to open and just punched holes in a lung shot deer, despite three being in a softball size group. A fourth shot to the spine in front of the shoulder ended that. Little meat damage.

The only Texas heart shot I ever made was with a .30-06 loaded with 180 interlocks, about twenty years ago. Perfect shot, no entry wound, blew up the pelvis and the bullet, requiring a neck shot to finish him off. BTW, meat damage was minimal. I did a horn display of that escaping mule deer's rack. He tasted good too.

To the .243, I had a Sierra 100 SPBT come apart on a deer shoulder many years ago. A fragment found it's way into the spinal cord. I went to the 100 NP and have never found a reason to change. I use 70 Sierras for coyote and other pests.

It has been my experience that at some time or another, lots of the older bullets failed to perform to expectations. Newer technology has given us a much better product, and it is not limited to any one brand. These days, if the proper bullet is selected, the caliber seems to be on steroids compared to early in my hunting life.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by jt402
Bullet failures. Fifty years ago, I had some too stoutly constructed 150 grain ..270 Bronze Points fail to open and just punched holes in a lung shot deer, despite three being in a softball size group. A fourth shot to the spine in front of the shoulder ended that. Little meat damage.

The only Texas heart shot I ever made was with a .30-06 loaded with 180 interlocks, about twenty years ago. Perfect shot, no entry wound, blew up the pelvis and the bullet, requiring a neck shot to finish him off. BTW, meat damage was minimal. I did a horn display of that escaping mule deer's rack. He tasted good too.

To the .243, I had a Sierra 100 SPBT come apart on a deer shoulder many years ago. A fragment found it's way into the spinal cord. I went to the 100 NP and have never found a reason to change. I use 70 Sierras for coyote and other pests.

It has been my experience that at some time or another, lots of the older bullets failed to perform to expectations. Newer technology has given us a much better product, and it is not limited to any one brand. These days, if the proper bullet is selected, the caliber seems to be on steroids compared to early in my hunting life.

Jack

Interesting to hear you say that. I had a similar experience with early 150 grain .30 caliber Bronze points in a .30-06. When I recovered the deer, it looked like he had been shot with FMJ's. I switched to C&C's and have never looked back. About 20 years ago, I was telling the story to a young guy, and he looked at me like I was insane. It seems that his experience with Bronze points was exactly the opposite. I guess that some time between our experiences, Remington changed the jacket.

I haven't shot many deer with my farm beater .243, but those I have shot were shoulder shots (I have neither the time nor inclination to chase deer) with 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters. Penetration has been very good with drt's the result.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well while not a .243 this was with a .257AI and 115 grain Partition. Range was right at the 400 yard mark according to my rangefinder. Bullet broke a rib going in and going out. This is the entrance. The exit was not much larger. Doe stumbled downhill about 10 yards before piling up.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I used to prefer a shoulder shot but try to stay off them if I can. That TSX will bust any deer shoulder around with a .243. I mostly use Sierra Prohunters and have had no trouble with shoulders with them either even with close shots. Only stopped one and that was just barely. Good luck!!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Nosler 95g Partition. The 95g Partition will hammer through both shoulders with ease in a 243 or 6 Remington.

85g Tripple shocks will break shoulders and exit rib cages from quartering angles! I did a Texas heart shot on a doe, 100 yd shot, with a load of 44.5g of R#19, WLR, 85g TXS, she dropped at the shot. The bullet traveled the length of the doe, found it under the hide as it was about to exit after traveling through the front shoulder.

I am a firm believer in shoulder shots...been that way for 30+ years.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Shooters pro shop has 100gr partitions right now, I just got a couple hundred of them. I shot 2 deer Sunday eveneing at 300 yards with 95 grain VLD's. Neither went more than 40 yards, lung shot one with a half dollar sized exit, shoulder shot the other with no exit but did break both front shoulders. No exit on the shoulder shot deer at 300 is why I bought the partitions.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would not expect the Partition to exit on a 300-yard double-front shoulder shot either. It will be laying under the hide.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.