Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Ralphie
So how did all the plains grizzlys ever survive without whitebark pines?

There were plenty of food sources on the plains for the bears when Lewis & Clark first saw them. As the bears were killed off, and pushed back into undesirable habitat (by white settler standards), they adapted to different food sources.

I was being just a bit sarcastic. The whitebark pine deal is blown way out of proportion for the mtn bears. For political reasons. There are no (or very very few) whitebark pines in many of the mtn areas right now. Right above my house is a perfect example, lots of bears and no whitebark pines. Yet the greenies would have us believe that the bear's existence depends on them.

The same in northern Idaho - the whitebark pine has been dying out for years, yet our Grizzly population is growing (???). The USFS is gearing up to waste more money on replanting whitebark pine, in the name of Grizzly bear food source...

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
I don't like having them around town. But there isn't a whole lot that can be done. My dad has had to bring the pickup and get my brother and me out of our tree stands before. My brother was in a stand when a sow and 2 cubs came walking up. She stood up and looked at him and wouldn't leave. That was only 5 miles from town. Dad had to come get me out of my stand when a sow and cub walked by my treestand and also wouldn't leave. I was less than a mile out of town. Seems like every year more and more show up around town. Only a matter of time until something bad happens. The school has had to cancel recess a few times in the last couple years because of grizzlies in the area.

Deer Tracker

I recall a news story ~ 20 years ago of a grizzly in Choteau. Some teenagers saw it walking through town so reported it to the sheriff. The sheriff chased it across the court house lawn and out of town. It is quite amazing how many have been close to town there over the years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The cops chased one right through my parents yard at night with lights on and sirens going a while back. Every once in a while we get a black bear or lion in town but its usually grizzlies. A bird hunter killed one a few years ago a mile or two away from where my brother was stuck in his treestand. It was a sow with cubs also. She charged him and he killed her with a 20ga. She was close enough that she slid right up to his feet. And FWP was stupid enough to do an autopsy on her to determine cause of death. I guess they couldn't see the big hole in her head with a plastic wad sticking out of it!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I saw one quite a ways from the Front out near Valier, MT back in 2008. I was actually out bird hunting when I saw the bear on the edge of a farm field. It was very near the Blackfoot Rez boundary.

Was once chasing phez in the huckleberry thickets near Choteau and saw tracks in the first real snow of the season.The hair on my neck stood up and the dogs and I got the hell out of there ASAP.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I wish those bastards would stay in the hills. I don't like having to worry about them while I walk creek bottoms for pheasants.
You need a good environmentally friendly bear repellent.

NRA Benefactor Member
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like the bear population numbers are higher than the estimates.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well they say there are 1000. That seems like a lot of bears in that particular ecosystem. Maybe some can chime in who knows how much area a bear needs. Last I heard it was 100 sq miles for an adult boar and about half that for a sow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
The cops chased one right through my parents yard at night with lights on and sirens going a while back. Every once in a while we get a black bear or lion in town but its usually grizzlies. A bird hunter killed one a few years ago a mile or two away from where my brother was stuck in his treestand. It was a sow with cubs also. She charged him and he killed her with a 20ga. She was close enough that she slid right up to his feet. And FWP was stupid enough to do an autopsy on her to determine cause of death. I guess they couldn't see the big hole in her head with a plastic wad sticking out of it!

Wow! Must have been nearly point blank!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CabinetMtnsGoat
........ The USFS is gearing up to waste more money on replanting whitebark pine, in the name of Grizzly bear food source...

I talked to some of the USFWS/IGBC biologists and they stated this would be a ridiculous idea, even though some of the wingnut groups have advocated such. You have any links that shows where they (USFWS) are doing this or have plans to do it?

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
USFS, not USFWS. The Panhandle Forest has been studying, harvesting, raising them in nurseries for a number of years and now has plans to plant them...

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
darn, forgot to add, "ridiculous" and the USFS are one and same nowadays...

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a friend who has been attacked twice by grizzlies south of Livingstone while bow hunting. Just sayin'.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Attacked in what way?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Unsuccessfully.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still waiting for a reply on how more grizzlies on the plains is a good idea...some here have posted that it was 'good news'....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
broomd,

Here are three alternatives:

1) Grizzlies denning on the plains is good news, because some people like the idea of the West resembling, however faintly, the country Lewis and Clark traveled through.

2) It's bad news because then hunting pheasants and whitetails will have lightly more risk than your hunting partner shooting you.

3) It's good news, because it means we're closer to a hunting season, which will reduce surprise "interactions" between grizzlies and people, both because open-country bears will be more easily taken, and because hunted grizzlies quickly learn to shy away from people, especially people with firearms.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

1) Grizzlies denning on the plains is good news, because some people like the idea of the West resembling, however faintly, the country Lewis and Clark traveled through.

And those dumb [bleep] generally live outta state or in town.

Let's have wolves, buffalo and grizzly bears!

Yea, yea!

If the idealistic idiots actually had to deal with it(aka live in the area) they might be singing a different tune.

To be clear I'm all for people hunting a few grizzlies.

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/23/13.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We've had several NE of Great Falls. Here are 2 youngsters at my neighbors.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

And those dumb [bleep] generally live outta state or in town.

Let's have wolves, buffalo and grizzly bears!

Yea, yea!

If the idealistic idiots actually had to deal with it(aka live in the area) they might be singing a different tune.

To be clear I'm all for people hunting a few grizzlies.

I'm with Sam. I'd bet if you asked any of the ranchers around here if they thought more grizzlies out on the plains was a good idea, you'd have a hard time finding many that would say yes.

A few years ago a rancher was having a problem with one killing his livestock just west of choteau. A snare was set by fwp and a 400lb griz was caught that nights but during the night another grizzly killed and ate half of the one that was snared...

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The country that L&C traveled through is far from the ranched, developed land of today.
People better wake up; human fatalities and maulings are inevitable.

Can't believe that some actually wish for this....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.