Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OK.

I have a strong suspicion that the Hornady Interlock flat base would have done what I wanted to do, but I shot all of my inventory up in testing. Little did I know that Hornady would suspend the production. That has been the most accurate bullet in my rifle, but I simply can't find any.

That particular load was 100 fps slower than the load with the Sierra bullet, too, running just over 2800 fps.

I don't think 100 fps would cost me too much trajectory-wise at 40 yards...(grin)

I still need to try the Partitions, if just to satisfy my curiosity and help burn this barrel out so I can get it rebarreled with an 8-twist.

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Several years ago I loaded this bullet for deer hunting in Tennessee. Our deer average between 100 and 150 lbs. A doe I shot was at 125 yards broadside. She ran 45 yards after upper heart shot. The bullet killed the deer. The 85 gr bullet broke apart into many pieces and did not exit. Yes it killed the deer but I went back to Hornady 100 gr interlock soft points. I have taken 7 since then with the 100 gr soft points and always have exit hole. About 25% of the time the deer does not travel after being hit. The Sierra was accurate in my Savage but just did not give the penetration I want.
I am using the Sierra pro hunter bullets in 270 Win with good results. I am not prejudice against Sierra, just do not like fragil bullets for big game.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 30338
Had great luck on antelope and a couple of deer with the 85 bthp. Nice accuracy as well. Since you have them, I would use them and not worry in the least.

^^^This^^^

I've killed a truck load of deer & twice as many hogs using the Sierra 85gr HP in both my 6mm & 243. And several Antelope. It's super accurate in all my guns & will get the job done. Usually DRT, but not many exits. I now prefer the 100gr Partition in my 6mm, since it's going faster than my .243. But I damn sure wouldn't be afraid to use the Sierra 85gr HP on any Whitetail sized game animal. JMHO

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
90 grain accubond at 3200 fps.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TJAY
Here is what Sierra says.

6mm .243 Caliber (.243) 85 gr. HPBT (100 bullets)
6mm .243 Caliber (.243) 85 gr. HPBT

For rifles chambered in 6mm cartridges, the #1530 85 grain hollow point boat tail bullet has proven to be highly effective on medium game, such as deer and antelope, and it is outstanding in this application. It is one of the best all-around bullets for rifles chambered in 6mm Remington or 243 Winchester. It is one of the most recommended bullets for varmints such as prairie dogs, groundhogs, coyotes, to medium game such as deer and antelope. Shooters using any rifle in the entire range of 6mm cartridges will find this to be an excellent bullet. This bullet shoots like a MatchKing and expands like a hunting bullet.

With all due respect they also claim that their gameking is in fact a premium bullet!

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The word "premium" appears on Speer Grand Slams; nowhere else I am aware of among the bigger brands. Premium can mean a lot of things. Many people tout accuracy as the primary factor. If that is true, then Sierra is not wrong in suggesting it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used Sierra's 85-grain HPBT since 1967 in about a half dozen rifles chambered for the 6MM Remington cartridge. It has always been a super accurate bullet in my experience.

I've never shot anything larger than coyotes with it so I'm not qualified to comment on it's suitability for big game.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
The word "premium" appears on Speer Grand Slams; nowhere else I am aware of among the bigger brands. Premium can mean a lot of things. Many people tout accuracy as the primary factor. If that is true, then Sierra is not wrong in suggesting it.

I was on the phone with Rich from Sierra a while back. While discussing several topics I asked him when and if they are going to make a Premium bullet like the accubond partition swift a frame Barnes TTSX etc. He said never because they already had a premium....the gameking. I laughed hard. grin

μολὼν λαβέ

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wrong - https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1530/243-dia-6mm--85-gr-HPBT

.311 over 1800 FPS, but you need to consider the starting FPS and a 243 isn't very efficient with a 100 grain pill.

Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The 85 grain has the BC you need for longer shots, the 100 is fine under 200 yds

Really?

The BC of the 85 HPBT is .279 while the BC of the Pro-hunter is .387, and sectional density is less also for the lighter bullet, and it's superior at long range?

That is contrary to my experience with rifles in the last 43 years of shooting centerfires. I guess there's no need for that 8-twist barrel and 105 VLDs after all.

Edited to add:
I checked with JBM and it is flatter shooting according to them, but the 100 grain only good for 200 yards? I'd take a 400 yard shot with the 100 grainer if the opportunity was good. I know it's soft enough to expand.. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OK, the BC listed there is .311 instead of .279. And the 100 grain SPT is still .370 at 1800 fps or below, according to the Sierra manual I have. Their E-store lists the 100 grain as having .373, .342 below 1700. These differences are most likely inconsequential in the real world.

I gave the 85 grain Sierra 3200 fps, 100 grain Pro-hunter 2934 fps, what my rifle is able to do with that bullet, to figure trajectory. I comfortably get 3110 with the TSXs (my rifle has a 20" barrel), so 3200 may be slightly optimistic, but not world-changing. While running the numbers, I did use the updated BC figures for both bullets.

With an efficient bullet like the 105 VLDs, the .243 can reach a lot farther than 200 yards. Hell, I do 200 yards with a lever-action .30-30 and Hornady flat-nose bullets. I wouldn't be afraid of 400 yards with the Pro-hunter.

I would rather have a bullet that would penetrate at lower velocity, even if it lost weight, than just sheer trajectory. The heavier bullets are going to maintain their momentum better and have a better SD.

But the biggest issue I am having with .243 bullets is them keeping their integrity with the close-range shots I make. I know the Pro-hunter doesn't do what I want, and I wonder if the 85 grain HPBT would.

I don't know, I haven't tried it yet, but may get around to it at some point. Right now my #1 bullet is the TSX and I want to try the Partitions, especially the 95 grain version.

If you are having good success with the 85 grain bullets, by all means continue to use them. I'm still looking.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Have you used these bullets(Speer), and if so, your thoughts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have. The 200 gr 308 Grand slam bullets at 3050 from my 300 WBY. Recovered bullets look like a partition.

This was circa 1995.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are cup and cores, good cup and cores, but still cup and cores.

They have been fine bullets (120/.257) in my wife's Roberts when she's used it for caribou; good, effective kills�minimally overly-destructive.

They seem to be reasonably sound bullets as expanders go, at least in their duel core iterations. (The 24 and 25s never were dual I don't think.)

[Linked Image]

The bullet on the left is a 250 recovered from a 200 yard moose using a 340. The bullet was in the muscles of the off side shoulder; no big bones hit.

A 180 from my 30-06 made a dramatic hole through the spine/shoulder of a young bull moose at under 50 yards; no sign of the bullet remains amongst the bony wreckage.

[Linked Image]

This 145/7mm-08 combo apparently skidded against some of the small bones it broke in a caribou at beyond 150 yards. Penetration wasn't very impressive; caribou died quickly anyhow.

With the older ones anyway, when they worked ideally, they expanded and worked about like an A-Frame, meaning they may not penetrate quite as well as the Partition. Obviously they don't have the same margin of security that the web gives the A-Frame has however.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Fotis and Klik.

I want something that can take the high impact velocity of a close-in shot, which will happen far more than a long shot for me. This is due to both the terrain and the way I hunt.

Cup-n-Cores are proving to be not so reliable in regards to getting an exit, and that is what I suspected anyway, but ya never know.

So I'm back to the TSX and wanting to try the Partition. I'll probably finalize between one of the two Partitions and the TSX after next year's season, as I don't even have any Partitions in 6mm here.

Two things about the TSX I'll place in the negative column. One is that, in my limited amount of samples, it does not leave the blood trail I'm used to (you can thank the .45-70 for that) and I worry that if a long range opportunity does present itself, will it expand?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My opinion of the matter is that you'l find a good answer in either the Partition or the TTSX. It is also my opinion that the TTSX really chases the Partition in terms of what happens on impact�more reliable and dramatic expansion, loss of frontal portions, etc. If that is as true as I suspect, there's some irony in that. Not a bad position to arrive at though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hadn't mentioned it, but I've given them a thought, too(TTSX). I really need to narrow things down, and then I'll have a bunch of 6mm bullets to sell or give away.

The TTSX has not been available from my usual sources, but things are looking up. I just went to a local retail outlet today, and they had a large selection of powder, so at least that is available.

I just wish bullets would be, too.

Thanks again....Vic

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I found someone who had TTSXs in stock. I've got plenty of RL17, cases, and primers, so I might just give them a whirl. 2 boxes are inbound.

I might be able to get the load together and rifle zeroed this Sunday, that would leave the last week open for "field testing".

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Jocko_Slugshot: Thats a significant recommendation of the 85 grain Sierra being so accurate in so many guns for you.
My Varmint Rifles have also "all" done well with this bullet.
Sheesh, 1967!
That means this bullet has been in existence for nearly half a century now!
Thanks for yours (and everyones) input.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Chlinstructor: Thank you for that observation on your significant experience with these Sierra 85's.
There is something to be said for a bullet that does NOT exit - that means it has transferred most all of its energy into the Deers "vitals'.
I am waiting for the wind to quit here in SW Montana.
Patience is a virtue they say - well I don't have any virtues!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This bullet shot so well in several of the 243 rifles I have owned they generally were shot up on paper or turtles. For some reason I can't remember a single instance of using the 85 gr. HPBT on a deer. Guess I will have to find some and do it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.