Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Diyelker
If you get your hands on the updated paradox, let us know if the issues you saw have been eliminated. Thanks for the review.

Absolutely.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DZG
I was curious why the review wasn't more comprehensive to include packs such as Kuiu, Hill People Gear, McHale, and possibly other load haulers guys might be interested in.

I'll chime in on the Hill People Gear Ute, its designers don't really consider it a "meat-hauler", they state on their forum that it is designed to be a go-to pack for loads up to 60#, not that it wouldn't carry more, they just don't consider it the best tool for such a load. They prefer a frame pack for heavier loads, and with the abscence of all hunter frame packs (except for the Barney) on the market, they are developing their own.

The Ute has similar suspension/design/size to the Kifaru Late Season, and should be viewed as such. For a day-hunter carrying out a boned out whitetail, or the first load back to the truck to retrieve a frame pack, I think it'd be perfect. That same pack will do nicely for a general hiking pack, year round.

The waistbelt is quite Kifaru-like, but it has a thinner lumbar pad (this can be changed anyway, on a Kifaru as well) but the shoulder harness they have is truly unique and spanks every other design, IMO.

I'll post more when I've gotten some use out of mine with various loads. I think their 60# reccomendation might be conservative, but I haven't used it enough to say.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for putting forth the time and effort Scott and Nevada to test and compile all of this information. This review was a big undertaking. To confirm, yes I think Scott's pack was probably number 2 or 3. I think he got one before Nathan even. We knew there was some risk to exposing it so early, but we also wanted to get some good feedback and testing in and this was a good opportunity. I believe Nevada carried 100 lbs in the Paradox for something crazy like 35 miles or something, which is absolutely awesome and invaluable to us. We did refine a few items, namely the harness which I believe now is very very good. The lid was refined as well and based on feedback we have added a couple features as default (such as PALS on the belt). I think after having gone through so many testers and users we have a pretty good feel for adjustment being drop dead simple for most folks, it just took getting it on a lot of different body types to get the process dialed in that works best. In all honesty, we sent Scott, all the big stuff (6300 bag /day talon etc), where probably a 4800 and base talon would have been a better fit within his review criteria and it would have been a pound or so lighter and $100 less expensive option as well. Realize, we were just getting our feet under us, so it is what we had at the moment.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I was a little disapointed that they only looked at the 4 packs you see mentioned 'the most' on the hunting forums. I've used a lot of packs - including some much like the ones rated - and I don't that style of pack (bag on a frame) anymore period.

I like a pack like the Granite gear Stratus flatbed (or for the cheaper LL Bean 'carryall'). More of an external frame back, but with an internal frame suspension. The best of both worlds so to speak.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Stratus-Flatbed-P21.aspx

I have a kifaru gun bearer on mine too. Much easier to load up with meat. I put all my gear into a drybag and put it on the pack.

This past fall I had my gear and 140 pounds of elk on it. I've noticed that the local hunting store is even selling the pack hunters here on Kodiak Island, and all the hunters i hunt with use it. But yet you never read about it on the hunting forums.

It seems the ones you do read about all have a bag that you stick meat down into. That said for many years I used the Kifaru long hunter - just the frame without the bag. And it was OK - but I pretty much killed it hauling meat. The new granite gear pack carries way heavier loads much more easily. Only issue is that the frame alone is pretty heavy.

Patrick

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pgsalton
That said for many years I used the Kifaru long hunter - just the frame without the bag. And it was OK - but I pretty much killed it hauling meat.

Patrick

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Never heard of a "dead" Longhunter. Maybe the packbag but not the frame.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by RiesigJay
Scott and Nevada,

Thank you for doing this review. One question I had was:

If you had to choose a pack as a "jack of all trades" for hunting and backpacking, what would be your choice?

I will get back to this one, good question that is going to take a little effort to answer.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by pgsalton
I was a little disapointed that they only looked at the 4 packs you see mentioned 'the most' on the hunting forums. I've used a lot of packs - including some much like the ones rated - and I don't that style of pack (bag on a frame) anymore period.

I like a pack like the Granite gear Stratus flatbed (or for the cheaper LL Bean 'carryall'). More of an external frame back, but with an internal frame suspension. The best of both worlds so to speak.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Stratus-Flatbed-P21.aspx

I have a kifaru gun bearer on mine too. Much easier to load up with meat. I put all my gear into a drybag and put it on the pack.

This past fall I had my gear and 140 pounds of elk on it. I've noticed that the local hunting store is even selling the pack hunters here on Kodiak Island, and all the hunters i hunt with use it. But yet you never read about it on the hunting forums.

It seems the ones you do read about all have a bag that you stick meat down into. That said for many years I used the Kifaru long hunter - just the frame without the bag. And it was OK - but I pretty much killed it hauling meat. The new granite gear pack carries way heavier loads much more easily. Only issue is that the frame alone is pretty heavy.

Patrick

Honestly I have never used any pack by Granite Gear, but I have seen Ed T speak highly of a few of them.

Another reason we picked the packs we did was that they were all new models. A review of older proven gear simply won't draw the interest that new contenders will. People wear out gear and often look for the newest thing to replace it. That is what makes new gear articles relevant.

Another factor was all 4 companies build their packs with hunters in mind. Hunters like packs made by hunters for hunters.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Scott,
Great job on the review work and the article. I commend you for using your personal time and money to do a project that will be a great benefit for others. Also, count me as one who likes to use a pack designed by hunters, for hunters.

Last year, I purchased a Kifaru Bikini frame and a 4800 High Camp bag. Like some others have mentioned, right now I have no desire to look any further. But, I would have loved to have been able to read this review, before my purchase. My purchase decision was based on my experience with Crooked Horn, Badlands, Eberlestock, Osprey, and Mystery Ranch packs. I sold my MR NICE frame with 2 bags to fund the purchase of my Kifaru, and gave the other bags to friends who wanted them.

In the last couple of years, even more choices have become available. This is a good thing.

Thanks again for the outstanding work.
Steve

D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Scott, Understood. I appreciate all the effort put forth. It helps understand all the differences you read about with regards to hip belt designs, harnesses, and load distribution. Thanks again.

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Scott, great article, and I also appreciate all the effort that went into it. FWIW I'd love to see a loadhauler review, though, maybe comparing a NICE, the GG Stratus Flatbed, and other offerings. I suspect that there are other hunters beside myself who want to take a meat-capable pack into the backcountry but prefer to throw a lighter, low profile lumbar pack on top to use for most of the actual hunting.

IC B3

Good job Scott and Nevada for the detailed review. It is interesting that you say the Metcalf allows for the most organization, but I find myself wanting MORE organization than the metcalf has. This is usually only when I'm not using the daypack lid with it during day hunts though. My biggest beef with the metcalf (MR Nice packs) is the base weight. All trade offs, I suppose. Weight, organization, and durability. Hard to do all and keep the weight down... All four packs look like they'd be great packs!

Ron

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by az_chocolab
Good job Scott and Nevada for the detailed review. It is interesting that you say the Metcalf allows for the most organization, but I find myself wanting MORE organization than the metcalf has. This is usually only when I'm not using the daypack lid with it during day hunts though. My biggest beef with the metcalf (MR Nice packs) is the base weight. All trade offs, I suppose. Weight, organization, and durability. Hard to do all and keep the weight down... All four packs look like they'd be great packs!

Ron

Comparing the Metcal to the other bags in the review, there was a LOT more organization. Primarily from the top lid, and we opted for the upgraded waist belt. The internal pocket was big enough to be functional as well. Some pockets can be too small and not good for much of anything.

I agree with your thoughts on the initial weight, it is high on all of their packs. I would be willing to bet money that they will be offering more lightweight options in the near future. I don't have any insider information, but my guess is that they are trying to get proactive and respond to the 3 companies that have packs that weigh half of what theirs do.

Last edited by sreekers; 01/01/14.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ok, time to do my best to answer the "Jack of All Trades" question.

The short answer is no, I don't believe that there is one pack that can do absolutely everything. I do however believe that it is possible to find a pack that will do just about everything an individual user wants it to do.

For this review, well I will probably reach for the SG the most when packing for a hunt or scouting trip. But that doesn't mean it will be the best for every application. For a wet trip I would want the Paradox, hands down. Deer season this year was really wet and I would have liked to use it then. My wife loved the Kifaru, and it was comfortable for me too. When the SG wouldn't cut it size wise, this pack would be my top choice. All about trade offs and options.

This is why we put the graphs together, you know what is important for you. Once you know, sync it up to the graph. If these packs were on your short list, you have a great tool to figure our what is your best option.

Nevada kept the Kifaru, for his style and body shape it was what he wanted. I kept the SG because I really liked what it had to offer and am pretty excited to try out some of the new bags they will be offering. I WILL be buying a Paradox, especially with the new bag options coming soon. Nevada has told me that he intends to try one as well, and is really looking forward to seeing the changes they made after we shipped the pack off.

The MR will be traded off soon, I have never used the Timberline series from Kifaru, and I found someone who wanted to try the Metcalf.

I have seen it documented fairly well here that you all like to buy knives, so this analogy may work pretty well. Gerber and Leatherman make some pretty sweet multi-tools. We look at what tools they have, how many blades, and how many functions they have. My Dad will only use a Gerber while I don't have much brand loyalty. To him that is important. We could go in shopping on the same day and buy two very different multi-tools from different companies and be happy customers.

Packs are the same way, and it may take you a few tries to get the one that you like the best. I am a gear nut and will likely keep buying packs until I am too old to be in the mountains. I doubt I will ever find a perfect pack, but I will probably find a few that I will have a VERY hard time parting with. Those will be the ones that stand out in my mind as "Jack of All Trades" packs.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I appreciate the lengths you went through to perform the trials of these packs.

Actually though, I didn't realize western hunters kept the meat. My perception from being on this forum is that many 'Euro' out the skull, take some fancy pics of the antlers sticking outta the backpack up next to a rusty barbed wire fence with a $2000 camera and chuck the meat of into some ravine for maggots to eat.

Would the military regard any of these packs for spec ops problems in mountainous regions at the last 300 meters of diplomacy? Are they good enough for diversified loadings?

Thanks again.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by slumlord
Actually though, I didn't realize western hunters kept the meat. My perception from being on this forum is that many 'Euro' out the skull, take some fancy pics of the antlers sticking outta the backpack up next to a rusty barbed wire fence with a $2000 camera and chuck the meat of into some ravine for maggots to eat.

????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm

????

PRM, put him on "ignore" and you can enjoy your time here mo-better! And don't "quote" his posts and I won't see his garbage.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have the three piece belt from SG on the Solo now, and loaded it up with a bit of weight.

Personally I think it is going to fit me well, and am glad they now offer two options for different body types.

I will post up some more thoughts as I have some time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I appreciate the lengths you went through to perform the trials of these packs.

Would the military regard any of these packs for spec ops problems in mountainous regions at the last 300 meters of diplomacy? Are they good enough for diversified loadings?

Thanks again.

Nobody really expected you to understand anything, so I guess your inquiry isn't all that funny.

I suppose that any means of packing deer out other than bungeed to a 4 wheeler are foreign to you. I think I'll have to eat some mulie steaks tonight...

Tanner

M
MOG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks for the review and candid comments, have you got any more photos of the packs? I'd love to see more loaded photos.

Regards,

Mog

S
S
Just wondering where Eberlestock comes in at?

If You Don't Stand For Something , You'll Fall For Anything !
SirRoyal
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.