Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
My lease has two major creeks that run through the heart of the property and confluence in the middle. Access to much of our land is not access able by foot or at least very difficult. I am looking for a vessel to drag up and down the bank and float to couple places for deer hunting and duck holes. Main concern is stability so can get in and out without getting wet and and alerting the entire swamp know I'm there.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Kayak can be hard to get in and out of unless you are in shallow hard bottom where you can put a leg out on either side and push yourself up with your hands. A canoe is easier to get in and out of, haul a greater load (whole deer or bags of decoys)and take a partner if you want. I harvested rice, hunted and trapped all over northern MN and WI for years out of one. I use less decoys now and hunt alone most of the time and have gone to a Marshrat that I converted to use a motor and oars, small, handy, very stable and works for a layout blind.

My hunting kayak, camo cover reverses to white for snow conditions, I usually stay in the kayak and pull along the shore or in cover to hunt.
[Linked Image]

Marshrat, motor shown was too much for the boat, too heavy and too powerful. An electric trolling motor worked well but have gone to an outboard made from a weed eater.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 12/23/13.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Marsh Rat is the cat's meow

[Linked Image]

crappy picture I know, sorry. I will buy a Magnum once production starts back up.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a poke boat, very light but hard to get in and out of, you can't haul much gear. I does track better than anything I have ever paddled.

I have a old town discovery 158 too. It is heavier than the poke boat but is easy to get in and out of, carries way more gear and is more comfortable. Canoes are very vesatile. A solo canoe would serve you very well. They are lighter and more controlable.

Lastly I have a finnal attack boat blind by otter/beavertail. I love it but its hard to paddle. Very comfy with the mods I have done. Its kinda like the marshrat but it is roto molded plastic and it has wheels in the back so you can roll it like a 2 wheel dolly. I wish it had oar locks like the marshrat.

I think for your needs a solo canoe would be spot on. Especially since you deer hunt. Good luck with your choice.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Native Ultimate
( http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat_overview.cfm )

Creek Boats
( http://www.creekboats.com/index.htm )

Those would be your best bets.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Google Aquapod. They can be bought either as a glass boat or roto molded. Think kayak on steroids with a much larger cockpit. I love mine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Google Aquapod. They can be bought either as a glass boat or roto molded. Think kayak on steroids with a much larger cockpit. I love mine

Agreed. I love my Aquapods. Much of my paddling is done standing up in the cockpit and I have never been bucked out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,415
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.