Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Santa was very good to me this year and brought me a trio of new Kimber rifles. Two 8400's in 270 and 300 WSM and a 84M Varmint in 22-250. Actually I sold off 6 rifles and accumulated the funds to purchase these three (you can go to Craig Boddington's page on Facebook and see what I gave up for these 3 rifles but it was worth it to me). Anyway, I was in the Bass Pro Shops looking for some H4350 and of course all they had was some Superformance powder which had the 300 WSM on the label so I loaded 4 pounds in the cart, did a little limited research with the cellphone and decided to go ahead and make the purchase. I have found tons of data for the 300 WSM and Superformance but none for the 270 WSM. The Hodgdon shop is closed until 2 January so I am stuck for now. I have plenty of other guns to hunt with so that isn't an issue but I wanted to play with my new toys and I can't till I get some data for the 270 WSM and Superformance. I have one older can of H4350 but it is a single now with no more matching lots and I hate to burn through it because my 7MM-08 and a Weatherby in 270 Win just love the stuff. I have some IMR 4831 and some H4831sc but I would really love to shoot the same powder in both WSM's if at all possible. SO, anybody loaded the 270 WSM with Superformance yet? I plan to shoot 140 grain Accubonds because I have a huge stash but if not I can also load up some 130gr SST's. Any help out there?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My understanding is Hodgdon will not publish any data for Superformance that does not give at least 100 fps more than standard because of a contractual arrangement with Hornady. Handloaders that have called Hodgdon have received nothing but stern warnings from them that they should not attempt to load for cartridges which they have no published data for.

You need to buy a 300WSM.

And by the way, I haven't read any reviews that claimed stellar accuracy with Superformance. I know I tried it in my 300 WSM and did not get good enough accuracy to even bother chronographing.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Superformance doesn't give the same results for every cartridge. It's going to be hard to beat RL-17 for the 270 wsm. I've tried a couple and have gotten good accuracy but not the velocity to go with it. That's only my experience.

Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the input but check the post, I did buy a 300 WSM but I also bought a 270 WSM and I wanted to be able to load both rifles with the same powder if possible. I should be able to adjust the loads in the 270 WSM until I get an accurate one and velocity really isn't that big an issue with me, especially with the increased velocities in these WSM's. I should be able to get an accurate load from a 140gr Accubond that surpasses 270 Win velocity anyway. My concern is powder and loading for the pair of guns. I'll use the 300 WSM when I have to get something fast and flat across the pasture but I just like a 270 and love the performance of 130 and 140 .277" bullets on deer sized game. If I could use the 4 pounds of powder I bought for both calibers that would certainly be a plus, especially with the scarcity of powder around here.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tenring, I missed the part of your post about purchasing a 300 WSM but the rest of my post still stands.

I tried Google. I couldn't find anything.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the input guys. I actually found two handloads that were posted in a reloader forum on another site and I might try those (starting way low of course and working up) but they both posted loads for 130grain bullets with one using 67.2 grains of powder and the other used 65.5 grains for velocities that were 3210 and 3170 respectively. If I could get a .277" 140 grain Accubond velocities to surpass 3000fps and be an accurate load with the powder I have on hand then I would be satisfied. If I ever want to shoot a really flat load then I would likely shoot 130grain bullets with a different powder. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can look in my Hornady books when I get home. But the Superformance that is sold with Hodgy's name on it, was geared around the 30-06 cartridge.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Those speeds that you mention can easily be topped by RL 17.

Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've never used Reloader powders. I have always used Hodgdon due to the temperature consistencies with their extruded powders. I know the Superformance powder is a ball type powder but it is supposed to be coated to maintain consistent velocities throughout realistic temperature ranges and perform like their Extreme powders. All I really have for data is the advertising but Hodgdon has touted their Extreme powders for years as the most temperature tolerant of all powders averaging less than 5-10 fps difference in temps from 0 - 125 degrees. Their chart also showed some of the IMR and Reloader powders to be the worst with some more than 100 fps difference due to temps. I hunt in Oklahoma, Tennessee, and occasionally some other places and the temps realistically do range from late winter hunts well below freezing to early fall hunts in the 90's and there is enough to worry about when hunting so the last thing I want to think about is my powder being too cold or too warm. It may be all BS but Hodgdon has advertised this for years and they own IMR powders and don't give them a break either. You can see their data here http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am still using the Hornady 7th Ed and the Nosler #6. I used to get the annual Hodgdon reloader magazine but can't find it this year anywhere and I haven't bought one since 2008 (or that is the latest one I can find). I guess the online reloading center is more efficient anyway and the data there is the same as in the magazine but I liked to keep them handy for reference and occasionally use them to talk myself into a new caliber ruling from my throne. Yep, those Hodgdon manuals sold me a 7mm-08 Rem, a 280 Rem, 270 WSM, 300 WSM, 243 WSSM (hated that one) a 22-250 Rem over the years and probably could have talked me into a new 325 WSM if they had published a new one.

Last edited by Tenring; 12/28/13.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.