Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MJ8v92 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have seen them on the internet from 3500 (fired) to 6000 (unfired new in box). I posted it a while back on backpage for $5000 thinking someone was going to get a heck of a deal, but everyone thought I was crazy. This thing is so beautiful I wouldnt sell it for less than $5000, plus its unfired in original box.

Attached Images
win1.jpg (30.72 KB, 521 downloads)
win2.jpg (40.86 KB, 389 downloads)
win2.jpg (40.86 KB, 219 downloads)
win5.jpg (33.98 KB, 254 downloads)
win6.jpg (35.32 KB, 350 downloads)
GB1

M
MJ8v92 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
forgot some pics

Attached Images
win3.jpg (24.98 KB, 185 downloads)
win4.jpg (43.59 KB, 213 downloads)
win7.jpg (16.65 KB, 789 downloads)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have one of those as well, I hunted with mine this past year. Original retail price on them was $5000 and wholesale was $3850 but Winchester had some financial difficulties at the time and blew them out for $1495 wholesale. The store I worked at at the time sold 9 or 10 of them! I even tracked down the engraver who did mine and had him engrave a set of rings for me. THey are a nice gun but I think Winchester could have done a much better job on them. THe checkering is machine cut and not all that great, the pores of the wood were not filled in good and the thing that bugs me the most about them is that the gold inlay on the left side of the gun and the Winchester name is half under the wood of the stock! Who does all that nice gold work and then covers it up?

I've seen them listed at about $3000 NIB with the mohogany display case and all paper work, etc.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MJ8v92
I have seen them on the internet from 3500 (fired) to 6000 (unfired new in box). I posted it a while back on backpage for $5000 thinking someone was going to get a heck of a deal, but everyone thought I was crazy. This thing is so beautiful I wouldnt sell it for less than $5000, plus its unfired in original box.

I agree, that sure is a beautiful rifle. But for the most part, the rifle and buyer determines the true vaue. You can put a $5,000.00 price tag on it and be prepared to sit on it for a long while or just the right person will come along and snag it up. Also, if the consensus is, "everyone thouht you were crazy", then that is a sure sign you are not listing it in the right spot. Try gunsinternational next time.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
MJ8v92 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I would maybe let it go for 3500, found one on gunsinternational for that price, thanks for the headsup on gunsinternational

Last edited by MJ8v92; 12/27/13.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No offense intended to owners...so I apologize in advance.

Highly embellished rifle made in New Haven,but the quality of workmanship is not there to justify the price tag.

Take a look at the work of a top quality stock maker or the metal work from equivalent craftsmen for a comparison. Even today, for the $5k-$6500 range,if I shop judiciously I can buy a used custom M70 from a top maker that will blow the socks off the Ultra Grade from every angle.

Collectible M70's are nice but this ain't one IMHO; I have passed on the few I have seen,including when they first were introduced..

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
MJ8v92 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Clearly you haven't seen one up close, its beautiful and you have no concept of rarity, or no money to actually buy one anyways. Your comments were ignorant. Please attach a picture of your firearms which are worth more than this fine specimen. No, I don't mean a picture of your 1977 Double Wide Trailer.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Clearly you should hang and pay attention before jumping.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
No offense intended to owners...so I apologize in advance.

Highly embellished rifle made in New Haven,but the quality of workmanship is not there to justify the price tag.

Take a look at the work of a top quality stock maker or the metal work from equivalent craftsmen for a comparison. Even today, for the $5k-$6500 range,if I shop judiciously I can buy a used custom M70 from a top maker that will blow the socks off the Ultra Grade from every angle.

Collectible M70's are nice but this ain't one IMHO; I have passed on the few I have seen,including when they first were introduced..

I agree with you in part. The metal work on these rifles is very nice but the stock work could have been much better. I think they just put a nice piece of wood in the same machines that shape and checkered their standard Featherweights. They could have at least followed up the machine cut checkering my hand so the points were actually pointed instead of flat on top.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Clearly you haven't seen one up close, its beautiful and you have no concept of rarity, or no money to actually buy one anyways. Your comments were ignorant. Please attach a picture of your firearms which are worth more than this fine specimen. No, I don't mean a picture of your 1977 Double Wide Trailer.

Wow�single digit # of posts and you've found the fast track to ignore�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Pretty bold and ignorant statement from a newcomer here. Bob was trying his best to not offend you. He's also been around the model 70 block a time or 2 and knows custom rifles. Battue's advice was spot on..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, talking about chit and fall back in it. I think those rifles are at least worth what a clean PF is worth plus a couple hundred maybe.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Knew this would ruffle some feathers....which is why I started out saying..."no offense". smile

Clearly you don't know your way around custom rifles but seem to think you do. I have been up close and personal to the Ultra Grades and never considered them worth the money.

I have never seen a Winchester custom shop rifle that came close to the level of workmanship displayed on Mausers and M70's displayed by the likes of Dale Goens, Maurice Ottmar, Tom Burgess, Clayton Nelson,Leonard Brownell, Al Biesen, Griffin and Howe,Kevin Campbell...owned, shot, and hunted with just about all these and I am not talking samples of "one".

Since I did not build or acquire any of these to stick in glass cases to admire,I have stuffed them into saddle scabbards,dunked them in snow and had them iced up and frozen while out hunting with them,or humped them around hunting country here and out west and shot game animals with them.

Friends have built and owned quite a few.

Not to mention the work of other skilled craftsman I've been able to look at while at Safari Club years past and at the Custom Gun Makers Guild show,like David Miller's Leopard Rifle(that one only went for over $200k and I got blown out in the first round of bidding since I could not afford $200k for a rifle smile ....Monte Kennedy,Nate Bishop, Al Lind,Bill Dowtin,Mark Penrod; metal by Herman Waldron and Ted Blackburn, Holland and Holland,Gene Simillion,Duane Wiebe....so many others I can't remember them all to be honest.Have not owned all these but have examined plenty of them and more.

Along the way I have also owned a couple of Winchester Custom Shop rifles, both pre and post 64's (ever seen an original Super Grade pre 64 264 Win Mag? Go try to find one....they are a LOT rarer than your Ultra Grade. smirk so don't lecture me on "rarity". ). They were nice enough riles but not in the class of the work of the top makers in this country.

Oh.....and BTW I saw the Ultra Grade at Ron's Gun Shop in Lyme, Conn when it first came out and I could have bought one then....(I was not impressed so passed.It takes more than some gold and engraving to impress me)..... We used to hit that store once or twice a year and then schlep down to Hallowell's where I've seen examples of work by Bob Owens,rifles engraved by Winston Churchill,(you know who these two guys are ,don't you?)and many other top makers.

So please don't lecture me on what constitutes a fine custom rifle; I don't know as much about them as some people but I am no stranger to them either.

If you think an Ultra Grade represents the pinnacle of fine custom bolt action rifles then I can only assume you ain't been around much really good stuff.More's the pity.

Go fry an egg. smirk

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/28/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh He had it coming. Hey I love fried eggs!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

M
MJ8v92 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
im not going to argue with you and i dont think its the pinnacle of fine custom bolt action rifles, it was built by winchester not a custom shop...just seems really nice for a product out of Winchester in the 1980s when they were on the verge of ceasing to exist
the engraving is great, the stock is nice, but ya its not a $10,000 gun...all I was asking for was the value and it seems like $3500 is about what I will get for it

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Being a smart ass didn't do you any favors.

You know; Just sayin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Knew this would ruffle some feathers....which is why I started out saying..."no offense". smile

Clearly you don't know your way around custom rifles but seem to think you do. I have been up close and personal to the Ultra Grades and never considered them worth the money.

I have never seen a Winchester custom shop rifle that came close to the level of workmanship displayed on Mausers and M70's displayed by the likes of Dale Goens, Maurice Ottmar, Tom Burgess, Clayton Nelson,Leonard Brownell, Al Biesen, Griffin and Howe,Kevin Campbell...owned, shot, and hunted with just about all these and I am not talking samples of "one".

Since I did not build or acquire any of these to stick in glass cases to admire,I have stuffed them into saddle scabbards,dunked them in snow and had them iced up and frozen while out hunting with them,or humped them around hunting country here and out west and shot game animals with them.

Friends have built and owned quite a few.

Not to mention the work of other skilled craftsman I've been able to look at while at Safari Club years past and at the Custom Gun Makers Guild show,like David Miller's Leopard Rifle(that one only went for over $200k and I got blown out in the first round of bidding since I could not afford $200k for a rifle smile ....Monte Kennedy,Nate Bishop, Al Lind,Bill Dowtin,Mark Penrod; metal by Herman Waldron and Ted Blackburn, Holland and Holland,Gene Simillion,Duane Wiebe....so many others I can't remember them all to be honest.Have not owned all these but have examined plenty of them and more.

Along the way I have also owned a couple of Winchester Custom Shop rifles, both pre and post 64's (ever seen an original Super Grade pre 64 264 Win Mag? Go try to find one....they are a LOT rarer than your Ultra Grade. smirk so don't lecture me on "rarity". ). They were nice enough riles but not in the class of the work of the top makers in this country.

Oh.....and BTW I saw the Ultra Grade at Ron's Gun Shop in Lyme, Conn when it first came out and I could have bought one then....(I was not impressed so passed.It takes more than some gold and engraving to impress me)..... We used to hit that store once or twice a year and then schlep down to Hallowell's where I've seen examples of work by Bob Owens,rifles engraved by Winston Churchill,(you know who these two guys are ,don't you?)and many other top makers.

So please don't lecture me on what constitutes a fine custom rifle; I don't know as much about them as some people but I am no stranger to them either.

If you think an Ultra Grade represents the pinnacle of fine custom bolt action rifles then I can only assume you ain't been around much really good stuff.More's the pity.

Go fry an egg. smirk

sssiiikkem boy!!! grin
I wish I only had A FRACTION of your experience with it all B. quite a list of names you're in the know, and prolly do know them. I'm a Featherweight fan myself, have only 2 though. An ALL TERRAIN .270 & a FN 257 Roberts.
Yea, this guy had it coming. No doubt he has a nice 70. Maybe he's "into" it too much.
I'll take mine sunny side up

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll just have pancakes laugh....I don't know if I'd like them eggs eek sick

BSA MAGA
M
MJ8v92 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
ya im into it for 4k, guess i didnt get as good of a deal as i thought, but thats what happens when you buy without knowing the market, i went with my gut feelings, and now i need to sell it and take it in the shorts

that probably makes guys like battue happy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Does give me the giggles. Especically since your motive was to perhaps stick one of us with it.

Other than that I don't hold others responsible for making me happy.

Last edited by battue; 12/29/13.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.