Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just wanted to pass along a couple of good products for those who like to travel light when they're out and about in some rough country. I'm a minimalist. I don't take a whole lot with me when I'm out there.
First...my Pocket Rocket cook stove made by MSR. It weighs about 3 ounces and uses IsoButane Propane fuel cannisters. It'll boil a liter of water in 3 and 1/2 minutes. Stows away in a small hard plastic case.
Second...my Pinnacle Soloist cook set made by GSI. Everything I need to prepare and eat a meal when I'm out there. Stows away very compactly in its bag.
It's real nice to have a fresh cup of hot chocolate or a good hot meal out there sometimes. These items don't take up much room at all in my pack, and they don't weigh squat.
Two good products that have fit my needs very well.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it's a #1 Montbell titanium cooket I just picked up with a cat can stove andca few ounces of alcohol. More then just boiling water and the cat can is switched for triangia.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the pocket rocket. I use a snowpeak titanium pot and a 7oz MSR frypan, if I need a frypan.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's the latest in the race for the lightest canister stove. The Fire Maple FMS 300T at 41 grams. Not that the Pocket Rocket isn't allready pretty light, it weighs 85 grams. I'm not counting every gram and running out to buy the latest. Just an FYI for the super minimalist folks. I can't imagine trying to balance a pot on it.

I do have one of the Fire Maple 116T's,48 grams, looks like it's been rebranded from whatever is was last year. Sold off an old heavy Coleman after a four day trip. Looked over all my gear after that trip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Maple-..._0&hash=item2ec6f3188f#ht_1707wt_926

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Maple-...20W-FMS-116T-/190819863664#ht_5642wt_806

http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/stoves

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Now, I love my Pocket Rocket, but the Snow Peak Light Max is one awesome stove! It is wider then the Pocket Rocket so it is more stable in supporting pots. It does seem to burn Fuel quicker. I do like my Trangia but it is much slower.I find I use my 700 ML Ti pot the most.

I do want to check out a home made alcohol stove like a cat can stove as I really do just boil water lately for dinner and alcohol stoves do that just fine.

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've used a Pocket Rocket and an MSR Ti pot for a few years. Very light, work great.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used a SP Giga and tiny Montbell Ti post on and off, but was never satisfied with it.

When Jetboil brought out its Sol Ti a few years back, I got one and haven't looked back.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'nuf said.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Add my vote for the Jetboil Sol Ti.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my alcohol stove built by George Carr, it is well made and far better than what I would build - and inexpensive. Plus George is one of the good guys.

Check it out: Backpackinglight.com

Last edited by Boise; 11/11/13. Reason: Added link
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the soto windmaster. Soto WindMaster

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love my basic Snow Peak stove (manual light) the Snow Peak Mini-Ti Solo set.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a pocket rocket for years, but came to realize (by watching my buddy boil water much faster, every single time) that the jetboil is just way more efficient, especially if there is any wind. I love my sol Ti now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I never looked at a Jetboil and thought "minimalist." Until I used one.

Jetboil Ti for me.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SpenceG
I used a pocket rocket for years, but came to realize (by watching my buddy boil water much faster, every single time) that the jetboil is just way more efficient, especially if there is any wind. I love my sol Ti now.

The MSR Windpro spanks both of them, especially in the wind, which might have something to do with the fact it is named the Windpro. Also, it'll work in MUCH colder weather (the new version with the inverted cannister).

D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Take a Knee, or Take a Schitt,

How come is it that no matter where I go to read the forum, with regards to just about anything discussed, that before to long you chirp in telling everyone they don't know crap and you are the authority on everything. You either own REI, or have owned everything made for the outdoors, or your just full of *#^+�t.

It takes a lot to get me riled up to post, instead of just enjoying the campfire, but you sir are an annoying know-it-all!

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DZG

How come is it that no matter where I go to read the forum, with regards to just about anything discussed, that before to long you chirp in telling everyone they don't know crap and you are the authority on everything. You either own REI, or have owned everything made for the outdoors, or your just full of *#^+�t.

It takes a lot to get me riled up to post, instead of just enjoying the campfire, but you sir are an annoying know-it-all!

He's mastered everything.

Except Photobucket and the digital camera.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey, what happened to Wally?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been really happy with the SOTO OD-R1 and MSR Ti Kettle combo the last couple of years. Light and simple.

I've really wanted to try the Jetboil Ti out, but just to many stories of the pot's 'flux ring thingy' coming undone.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DZG

I've owned a LOT of hiking kit, and I was always good at figuring out when/how stuff/people etc was/were [bleep] up, which is one reason I'm still alive. Annoying? Probably. Know-it-all? I've consistently scored 2+ standard deviations above normal on damn near every sort of psychometric evaluation I've ever sat for.

BTW, anything I've written about stoves would take about 20min of google-fu on Backpacking Light to confirm. I've read a lot and hiked the AT in the Southeast and talked to numerous hikers at shelters about their stoves. Current Jetboils are a vast improvement over the originals, they fell out of favor PDQ on the AT until they got the bugs worked out. They still suffer from not being able to use a windscreen, just like any other vertical butane stove. The JB Helios I've never used and don't know anyone who has, the people I know look at weights before they buy stuff.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.