Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by high_country_
its looking like I failed on elk this year... i have one more day i can hunt and its not looking good, so i am considering a buffalo to fill the freezer. i live in eastern washington and would travel to montana or so to grab one. i dont need a hunt as much as a pile of meat....and i want to kill it myself. hide is of little value to me as is the head. looking for meat is the goal.

any advice?

This might be a bit closer to home for you than Montana. The owners are good folk.

Brown's Buffalo Ranch

720 Stephens Boulevard
Nyssa, OR 97913 - View Map
Phone: (541) 372-5588
Web: Brownsbuffaloranch.com

A privately held company in Nyssa, OR.

From the Argus Observer
The other red meat

Family ranch near Nyssa raises buffalo for meat

Cherise Kaechele Argus Observer | Posted 11 months ago

NYSSA � Brown�s Buffalo Ranch is a family-owned and -operated buffalo ranch that has nearly 200 bison on their on their property located outside of Nyssa.

The 120-acre ranch was established in 1972 and at the time had a variety of animals including llamas, pigs, cattle and buffalo, said Garret Brown, co-owner of Brown�s Buffalo Ranch.

It was the buffalo that proved to be the most profitable, Brown said.

Brown, along with his parents Tim Brown and Debbie Brown, who are the other owners of the ranch, sell the meat at the Boise Capital City Market and to local companies, such as Boise Fry Company, Whole Foods and Cottonwood Grill.

They also sell Buffalo burgers at the Malheur County Fair, where the burgers are proving popular, Brown said.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
I've shot 2 pasture type bison, one in Waterville WA, just west of you and one in Montana. Both were great eating. The one in Waterville cost $1.50 # on the hoof. The farmer has a large barn to hoist the bison up to help with field butchering.
It was a lot of fun on both, and I will do it again.
I didn't keep the hides or heads, and no regrets.
The one in Wateville gave me a lot of latitude on how I wanted to do the 'hunt'.

Do you remember the family in Waterville? I know a few families.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

Grass fed beef isn't worth the cost of a bullet as far as I am concerned. The taste lacks the richness that fat marbling from grain gives the meat.

im the opposite, i cant stand feedlot beef, even a good steak tastes greasy to me.....ill take prairie raised beef or order pork or chicken instead of feedlot beef.....i usually quit ordering steaks bout half way across North Dakota.....dont think ive had a steak east of Minot that i cared for....

course i was raised on our leaner local beef which is prolly why its what my taste buds are tuned to....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I'm with you Rattler. Good pasture will provide all the fat that is wanted on a good angus or hereford steak.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A good cook doesn't need fat to make it taste great.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will probably buy a half a beef a hell of a lot cheaper.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doc, I will be at Stan's place on the Monday before Thanksgiving. I know you're itching for a road trip, ain't ya? smile

Oh, and BTW, I'm bringing boerewors for Keith too laugh

Just thought I'd mention that.

Last edited by badger; 12/29/13.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
You will probably buy a half a beef a hell of a lot cheaper.

I think around $1.20-1.30 on the hoof for an eating size beef.

1200 pounder about $1500.

650lb steer calf should be around $1100-1200.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
I've shot 2 pasture type bison, one in Waterville WA, just west of you and one in Montana. Both were great eating. The one in Waterville cost $1.50 # on the hoof. The farmer has a large barn to hoist the bison up to help with field butchering.
It was a lot of fun on both, and I will do it again.
I didn't keep the hides or heads, and no regrets.
The one in Wateville gave me a lot of latitude on how I wanted to do the 'hunt'.

Do you remember the family in Waterville? I know a few families.

Dale Dahlke 509-745-8992

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.