Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Pretty sure I've shot a match or two. Also well aware that trying to mil living objects is not in any way accurate enough to get a range to shoot an animal.

GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I know I grew up and did my initial training on moa in a SFP scope. I chugged along for about 15 years of shooting, even spending the last few teaching at several schools geared towards law enforcement precision rifle. As much time as I put into all of that and I spent about 15 minutes with mil in a first plane glass and I was sold completely.

I have taught my kids and my wife, all new shooters, to simply read the reticle and get their hits. I dont think about my hold over cards as 26" of drop at x yards or 13" of drift at x yards in x winds, they are simply 3.3 mils of elevation or .5 mils of drift etc. The other beauty of a proper mil reticle and mil adjustments is the option to dial or use holdover as needed, Whether you go with mils or moa to make the system work best it should be a FFP scope and turrets that match the reticle. If you want to have the most difficult to use system go with a mil reticle, moa turrets in a SFP system, all I can say is pass the aleeve for the headache that will follow.

As far as only being conducive to the range or heavy rifles, I will have to disagree. I run the SWFA 3x9 on all of my rifles and my Tikka runs under 8lbs loaded and ready to go. My only complaint about mil and generally FFP scopes is they tend to be catering to the military market and focus on durability which adds to more weight than sporter scopes.

Also for field practicality I have not been super successful on using a mil to get proper ranges. On a square range I have been able to work off of a known size gong and gotten hits but a real life example was my mule deer this year. I lost my LRF in the morning and kept hunting. I finally find a volunteer for the freezer and use my scope to determine his range as about 320-340 yards (yes I use yards and not meters with a mil and have survived). The shot strikes lower than intended and barely catches the bottom of the heart, I could not call my impact but could see blood squirting out both sides as he turned and jogged straight away for about 400 yards before dropping. I went out next week and confirmed the range was much closer to 390 yards and my error was in using the average body size of a deer, not the reduced freezer size on the buck I had in the reticle.

Either way I strongly encourage you to find someone to get to a range or in the field with and use a mil scope. I looked at it on paper for years and dismissed it as to complicated, a complication that totally disappeared when I could actually sit down and use it.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Pretty sure I've shot a match or two. Also well aware that trying to mil living objects is not in any way accurate enough to get a range to shoot an animal.

I am not so sure that I can agree with that even though I do not possess the skills myself. I have seen some guys that were pretty damn amazing at it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
On deer/elk/lopes?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're a trained sniper? I thought snipers were trained to use mil reticles to range live targets. I could be wrong.

[Linked Image]

Here's how it's done with the 4 legged version...

[Linked Image]

I believe the standard is 18" for deer and 24" for elk brisket to backbone...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Its fairly accurate for me to 500 yards or so..And if conditions are bad enough that I cant use an LRF, 500 is probly plenty..

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Using a reticle for long distance ranging is something wannabe snipers do to pretend they are real snipers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
everytime I practice it i have to reference a chart of some sort..then I forget it all a few hours later..LRF's are a wonderful thing.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This is where the difference between theory and reality collide. Anyone that has tried to mil range animals would know how abysmal the results are.

So standard on a deer is 18" back to brisket right? What happens when the deer really is 17in or 16in or 19 inches? What happens when the deer is 16.5 inches from back to brisket and what you thought was .8 mil is really .88?

Interestingly went to NE a couple years ago and I killed a Mule deer and a WT, and my buddy's wife killed a WT. All bucks and all from the same NF. The Muley I shot was right at 18.5in back to brisket, the Whitetail she shot was under 17in, and the WT I shot was almost 20 inches. If you believe that you can mil range live targets and get acceptable results.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rosco1
Its fairly accurate for me to 500 yards or so..And if conditions are bad enough that I cant use an LRF, 500 is probly plenty..

I agree. If the conditions are too schitty for a good LRF, they are probably too schitty to shoot out very far.

The other thing is, up close a guy can be off by a decent amount on his estimate and still hit vitals.

At closer range, one should have a pretty good idea as to how far a big game animal is without needing any form of device to get the range. If a deer pops out at 320 yards, and you estimate and hold for 275, you'll still kill him with about any decently flat shooting round. Just takes some practice by estimating yardages then using the LRF to test your guess. Do this enough and a guy can get pretty good out to surprisingly far. LRFs sure are nice....much better than pacing off your guesses wink

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Using a reticle for long distance ranging is something wannabe snipers do to pretend they are real snipers.

Yep, we were all deluded in the 80's, all those gongs that rung were figments of our imaginations. Carlos Hathcock is some sort of imaginary mind-warp [bleep] too!

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 01/18/14. Reason: spellin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Times change..I'm sure long trang would be thrilled with LRF's and a scope that wasnt 4 foot long.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yep, we were all deluded in the 80's, all those gongs that rung were figments of our imaginations. Carlos Hathcock is some sort of imaginary mind-warp [bleep] too!

That's nice.

I remember when our outfit first got ahold of some Vectors. It was like a whole new [bleep] ball game.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Once again milling a known size piece of steel is so different than milling a living, varrying sized target that they shouldn't even be spoken in the same breadth.

Milling was used back in the day (and still taught, although given way less importance than it was) because there was no other way. Homies didn't have PLRF 15's.

I'm a freaking baller at milling pieces of steel on a range. Milling animals or people and than checking with a LRF always makes me chuckle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Back when I was guiding pronghorn and mule deer hunters in the 1980's, I learned to use my scope reticle to range both animals, which worked pretty well out to 500 yards on mature bucks--though it didn't work very well beyond that, because even the best bullets dropped too quickly.

Kept using the method for a while even after the first civilian LRF's became available, because most of them became just as unreliable beyond 500, and often even closer. But once accurate LRF's appeared I quite ranging with the reticle, because there was no comparison.

I don't guide much anymore, but do occasionally, and one of the great advantages of an LRF in guiding is that people will believe a digital readout far more readily than how much a reticle subtends on a pronghorn at X range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I'm a freaking baller at milling pieces of steel on a range. Milling animals or people and than checking with a LRF always makes me chuckle.

Maybe you just suck at it:)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not get me wrong I am a LRF fan hell I own a swaro, a Leica 1600, Leica LRF binos, and a vectronix plrf15. I cannot accomplish it, but have seen two of my buddies range deer with a mils with some amazing accuracy confirmed by LRF. I can range do okay measuring known sized targets using mils, but not well enough for me to shoot at an animal. But I am wise enough to know just because I cannot do it, does not mean that no one else can.

Last edited by EddyBo; 01/18/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Now I'd guess the military community still strives to achieve the "one shot, one kill" ideal, but the mission taught at Gunsite is actually "one hit, two shots, quickly". They didn't come right out and say it, but that's what's taught. And the instructors at Gunsite are very, very, very clear these long range methods are not appropriate for hunting big game. To paraphrase the instructor's orientation lecture, "All these long range hunting TV shows are lying to you." The wording may not be exactly right, but the message was clear to everyone in the class."

crap , guess I need put all those animals back , Ill call Shawn Carlock and everyone else I know to put theirs back too.Damn you internet!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have optics by both Swaro and Zeiss. Took me a long while to save on a Blue Collar budget to purchase them. None have mil reticles. I won't schitt can my whole optic arsenal to buy again, but with mils. I guess I will STFU and stay on the porch.

Thanks

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I don't guide much anymore, but do occasionally, and one of the great advantages of an LRF in guiding is that people will believe a digital readout far more readily than how much a reticle subtends on a pronghorn at X range.

Another fly in the ointment besides the variance in size of animals being ranged the possibility (probability) that some popular scope manufacturer's stated reticle subtensions are incorrect.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.