Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you skane
He is not an outfitter, just a home owner. So I would have to go as a host hunter.
Ill find out about my buddy and see if we can get a sponsor for him. otherwise we have to get a guide?
I really want to hunt moose. we don't have them in Oregon. but a big mulie or white tail would be nice as well. Honestly IF I am going this far, I want to get as many tags as I can for the time up there, just because you know what you will see while out. I will have to look into the tags.
thanks again

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bump.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n007
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Yes, open season all year long tends to thin the herd a bit.

Funny you would say that, they have been doing the 'open season all year long' for say at least 10,000 years. I think you've been taken in by an urban myth. No doubt that environmental issues [wolves & habitat destruction] have had far more impact on game herds than hunting, and up here it's not unusual for trains to kill more than the annual allowable harvest [for all hunters]of moose.

IF what your after is untouched wilderness hunting, you have to look for no road access, no major rivers that hunters can travel by jet boats, no railway tracks, and no power or pipeline right of ways. [very limited access]

As you are aware but try to ignore, hunting 10 000 years ago did not include scoped high-powered rifles, 4x4's, ATV's or spotlights, so the harvest rate was exponentially smaller.

10,000 years ago they all ate wild meat, these days half of them are in jail, most don't get out of the urban setting where they live in squalor ie. East Hastings....and a whole pile live off the govt checks...maybe, maybe 10 in 100 of them hunt and those are usually the ones that have their lives together. So no I don't ignore, it's a realistic view I have.

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very Intro> the Road kills more big game then hunters can in a year but nothing is said to this at ALL!> We came off a heavy Elk hunt at white Swamp and were rolling down to home and came across a big bull mouse kill by a big truck!Should of took the hind Q> but if you get caught your a poacher! Let it rott or crow feed !VERY SAD!

Last edited by bcd; 11/24/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big bull mouse are very dangerous for worms like you. keep your distance even when dead in the ditch.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about big black bears?? Why do guys hunt them over garbage in sask when they could hunt west coast bears?? Biggest in Canada by far..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I want to do a Whitetail deer hunt in Saskatchewan with a rifle , Is this were I would post to find an outfitter ,if not head me in the right direction.....Thanks Sarge

Last edited by Sgt5; 01/25/14.
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sgt5:
Hopefully this finds you well so far this year sir.

While I'm most certainly not the expert on such matters here - or anywhere for that matter, you may well get more traction on specific outfitter recommendations in a separate thread below.

We crafted this thread more as an general foundation for anyone coming up here to hunt - a reference source if you will.

If you can't find some specific information in the links the various members have provided then by all means let me know and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

The advice repeated often in the thread to check with both successful and unsuccessful hunter references would be extremely high on my personal list to follow.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck on your hunt whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks BC30cal I will do that.

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire Folks;
It's come up a couple times now in various threads that traveling hunters and fishermen from stateside have been stopped and turned back at the Canadian border for DUI offenses.

One can debate whether or not this makes sense until the proverbial cows come home, but the fact remains that for those folks the trip is done then and there.

The original purpose of this thread was/is to give visiting hunters a mechanism by which to research various aspects of traveling up here on our side of the medicine line.

Researching whether or not a past indiscretion with the law when one was in college will be an impediment is part of that research as well.

Again please contact the links to Canadian Border Services posted earlier or take a look at this site.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...canadian-border-with-a-dui/#.U7AXP5RdXRw

Hopefully that was useful information for someone out there in the ether space who plans on a trip to Canada. Good luck to you all who are doing so anytime in the future and if you are coming up from the US - Happy Fourth of July to you too.

Dwayne

IC B3

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire hunters;
While researching an answer for another member here I stumbled across this link from the Yukon Environment folks.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/publications-maps/documents/intothe_yukonwilderness.pdf

In my estimation and experience hunting in two western provinces and traveling in four - it's well worth the time it takes to read it.

Anyway folks, good luck on your hunts this fall wherever they might be and here's to safe returns home for all of us.

Dwayne

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Guys/Gals,
That is an excellent resource that Dwayne has posted.
Lots of common sense stuff but lots of unique to the region info as well.
Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just a caution, this may have been posted already if so sorry. B.C. resident hunters have been sold out by there government who gave up to 40% of tag allocation to the guides and outfitters for resale. That's right up to 40% when most jurisdictions in North America is 5-10%. Needless to say the climate in B.C is tense and resident hunters will be exercising their legal right to hunt in the guide's tenured territories in extremely large numbers, in other words the guide territories may be very crowed as residents will be flying and packing into remote areas like never before. With the current situation being played out I would suggest that non residents look to Alberta and the Yukon for their hunting adventure until such time as the government decides to play fair and bring their allocation numbers in line with the rest of North America. Thanks for your understanding and support. Hope you have a great hunt but please support your fellow resident hunters and stay away from B.C.

BORN to HUNT
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I tried to talk to ICE all I get is how to report a tip to them! They gave me a # to the US Border that say all circuits busy all day long! Looks like nobody has duty or Phone Watch!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Canada is a great hunting destination. When my bud and I hunted there, we used the Outfitters rifles so we wouldn't have to deal with that. And without guns as luggage, we had more options for horns and capes on the return flight.

Check with airlines on which ones will allow racks on board. Coming back thru U.S. Customs can be more of a challenge than going North. Be sure to have all paper work on hides, horns, etc. as that can cause grief at the border.

To me, the Canadians were easier to work with than the Americans.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1
Have yet to cross the border back/forth where this wasn't the case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1
Have yet to cross the border back/forth where this wasn't the case.

Sad to say, they were nicer, classier people all the way around.

Doesn't say much for our "side of the fence"... frown

DF

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
What about big black bears?? Why do guys hunt them over garbage in sask when they could hunt west coast bears?? Biggest in Canada by far..

If anyone is interested in really big black bears Newfoundland is a seldom picked destination. Bear densities are not super high but many are taken in excess of 500lbs. every year. I read a recent report from biologists who buried a special thin weight scale under the soil at a bait site in order to get live weights of bears. A couple of bears in the study topped 700lbs. on the hoof. That is a monster blackie!!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
One thing I didn't see addressed is whether U.S. cell phones work in Canada.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,068 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.