-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am right eye dominant and left handed, am near-sighted with some astigmatism after some ten years of good vision following radial keratotomy. But now I'm resigned to glasses.

Rifled scopes are no problem and strangely enough neither are shotguns. My problem comes to light mainly with handguns. For informal plinking and come-what-may I'm going to try the Merit Optical Attachment. It's a mechanical iris that attaches easily to your eyeglass lens easily and "helps keep three planes in focus". Merit corporation.com. These have been used by the guys who shoot matches for years.

But for my RRH in 45 Colt that I use for whitetails in Iowa, I contacted Hamilton Bowen, the well known revolver gunsmith who was sympathetic to the problem and was willing to try something new. He has the same problem himself and is going to try fabricate a an adjustable blade rear ghost sight or aperture and an appropriately short/tall front sight for the loads I use.

We are both well aware this concept is not supposed to work on handguns because the eye is too far from the real sight. However, there are those who've tried it and found it suitable. We'll see. I'll give it a go and if this fails, I'll probably mount a Trijicon yellow dot on the gun which puts me off a bit aesthetically and would require some holster alterations.

But there it is--you have to work with what you have and keep seeing (pun intended) "the glass half full"! grin

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tough issue to deal with, I've struggled too, though my vision is just the opposite of yours.

My bifocal lenses exactly back-out my vision correction, I can take my glasses off and see just at well out to a few feet.

A switch I've made recently (2 yrs) is to Varilux brand lenses. You pay a slight premium, but the transition of the lens is so smooth that when I first put them on I started complaining that the glass company had forgot to provide me with progressive lenses.

It works great most days, though I have to admit that there are some days where I just seem to lose the recipe - I suspect that is just me and has nothing to do with my (purchased) equipment.

For shotgunning, I bought just a straight distance correction lens. I'm a fairly decent shotgun shot, if I ever have any strong awareness of barrel or bead I'm going to have a bad day.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had my optometrist make a pair of yellow-tinted shatterproof glasses in my usual prescription, and shoot with them. It works pretty well. I can see the front sight without significant difficulty, for an old man.

In the near future, I plan to put a fiberoptic front sight and a One Ragged Hole peep sight on my Ruger 22/45 and see how that works. I like receiver sights on rifles, so . . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I do is moisten the suction cup by licking it. Not the most sanitary thing in the world but haven't contracted any virulent diseases yet. wink I lay it upside down on a hard surface (shooting bench) with the cup facing upwards and then use my thumb to push the lens down hard on top of it. That squeezes it for a good suction fit without risk of damaging the glasses.

It's stayed on for about 2-3 hours at a time in below freezing temps, that's as long as I usually stay at the range. It will also leave a little ring on the lens when removed but you can take that off with a standard cleaning cloth or maybe a little spritz of lens cleaner. It hasn't damaged the lens coatings at all after two years of use.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am waiting for DW Battlesight (https://www.dwbattlesight.com/home.html) to get their front peep sight for the Ruger revolvers in production. My Ruger Super Blackhawk has a One Ragged Hole rear peep sight and it works great. The only problem is the solid front sight blocks so much of the target. The front peep of the DW Battlesight solves that allowing hold over if needed. Check their site out.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Turk, their website is fairly "rustic". I couldn't find a description of their front sight but am interested. Could you describe? Or elucidate?

Thanks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Right on. A big peep and a bead don't need no sharp, clear edges to work.

Yep, only I use a Williams Fire sight on the front with a FP on the rear. It's easier to see and easier to line up on the target.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Turk, their website is fairly "rustic". I couldn't find a description of their front sight but am interested. Could you describe? Or elucidate?

Thanks.

Yes it is. If you watch the "window" on the right of the home page,
it will show the front sight. It is a front peep sized allow light in & see
what you are shooting when you hold over. Also read the notes for more
info.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For a dedicated personal carry handgun I vote red dot all the way. My own choice is RMR but the market is changing quickly.

The various big dot fiber optic and other options for handguns do just fine for short range plinking and indoor well lighted gallery pistol. Seems to me the pistol peeps and other such run out of range outdoors at about 25 yards and although they will stretch to 50 yards known range well lighted sharply defined target indoors not so much obscure target against a timber background.

For general outdoors as well as indoors I do like the red dot. For long guns or rule limited handguns then I like the special prescription eyeglasses. I'll be interested in any reports of personal experience with high visibility but iron sights by the rules used in the field.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Hi All,
I figured this would be a good place to ask this question as obviously we have a bunch of hunters/shooters here and a few must wear glasses.
Here is what I have going on.I am 48 and far sighted.I have minor corrections for distance but definitely need correction for reading.
I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed. I should have changed to shooting left handed years ago.

Scopes are not a problem without glasses. The problem arises when shooting pistols mainly but also open sighted rifles. I have bifocals so I can either tip my head back and see the sights and not the target or use the distant part and see the target but the sights are out of focus.

I shoot a few IPSC matches a year and keep forgetting to ask the folks there what they are doing when it comes to glasses.

I just wondered how you guys deal with this issue.

Thank you very much in advance.
Bill Martin

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I'm far sighted and maintained 20/20 vision into my early 40's - never needed glasses until then when I found I couldn't focus up close. My first lenses were bifoculs with a minor distance correction which were no help shooting handguns (I could see the sights but the target was a complete blur). I had pretty much quit shooting handguns at that point, though got by fine with scopes (with or without glasses). I was and still am able to do okay with open sight rifles as long as I have a ghost ring type rear aperture sight. The front sight is still a little blury on rifles but I can hold 1-1/2 MOA if everything (including me) is working right.

Now in my 50's, I recently went to trifocals so decided to give the handguns another try. I'm finding that the mid-distance correction is making it so I can shoot my handguns again. It's not ideal - I find it awkward tipping my head back to find the sweet spot which has me thinking a specific pair of glasses with my mid-distance correction mounted in the top half of the frames (so I could tip my head down to see the sights) might work well. Just flipping my glasses over looks promising if I lost the close focus portion. Others have mentioned the diopter mounted to the upper lense - this intrigues me and is probably the best solution.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wear contacts, and the last time I sat in the optometrist's chair I complained about this very problem. He fitted me with a contact to wear in my dominant eye when pistol shooting which is a compromise all the way around but allows me to shoot fairly well. (Well, at least as well as I did when I was younger which wasn't all that well!) Admittedly, a PIA. Now I just put on a cheap pair of low power reading glasses, 1.00x, which sharpen my sights and still allow decent target definition (while wearing my 'normal' contact lenses). Works for pistol and rifle shooting, and only cost $10 at the Rite-Aid store.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What gnoahh said. Get the lowest power readers that allow you to see the front sight. BTW, a flat top post front sight allows more vertical precision on both handgun and rifle. The target will not be in sharp focus, but that is OK. Focus on the front sight.

I'm 76 and certainly no longer see 20/10, more like 20/25 or 30 corrected. I use trifocals. The regular glasses give me fits shooting. The $10-12 readers keep me in the game. Because of a special commission, I have to qualify annually with the state troopers. The above method lets me outshoot most of them. 300 is a clean target. I usually shoot in the mid to high 290 range with full power loads from a .357 Sig. (silhouette training version target.)

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jt402
...Get the lowest power readers that allow you to see the front sight...

...I use trifocals. The regular glasses give me fits shooting. The $10-12 readers keep me in the game...

That sounds like the best solution for my needs - I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for suggesting it...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
I just wondered how you guys deal with this issue.

Reflex sights are your friend!!

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/deltapoint-reflex-sights/
http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.