Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A 300 pound mule deer is still a big one.

But taken across their range I think the mule deer seem to run a bit larger on average based on what I have seen myself. I have seen a few in Wyoming and in northern Alberta that were stupendous. Kind of a visual shock for a moment after looking at more normal-sized deer.

No doubt that mulies run bigger than whitetails. I worked for an outfitter out there for a couple seasons and we saw some real monsters. On the Air Force Academy I once saw a few bucks running together and I'm pretty sure a couple of them would have gone 300 or more... Couldn't hunt them then and there but my trigger finger went to twitchin'.... wink

In my opinion a muley is a lot easier to actually get. We used to take a day off every once in awhile and borrow the horses and spotting one and riding around behind him and doing a bit of climbing and crawling and we usually got our buck. It wasn't rocket science but it WAS hard work.

I rode a mountain bred appaloosa and he had absolutely NO fear of blood or bloody carcasses and we could load a mulie on him and me too and he just grunted going uphill but he always brought home the bacon. I miss that horse. He picked me out the first day I went to that ranch and I never rode any horse but him. I trusted my life to him almost daily and never had a doubt he'd get me through. I think he was half mountain goat.... LOL

Sorry guys.... I'm rambling.... wink

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LDH: I hear that in CO, a resident is lucky to draw a deer permit these days...don't know how true that is. Have not been there in awhile. frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

My buddy shot this one 35 minutes from my house this season
well over 300lbs

[Linked Image]

That thing's a pickup truck with antlers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob

Yeah.... I asked a buddy in CO about this recently and he basically told me the same thing... frown

I guess that's why so many of us from the south just stay here to hunt. We can hunt deer with a rifle from mid October until Mid February and if we hunt muzzleloader and/or bow we can get anoter month and a half... We're spoiled... wink

Granted our deer aren't as big or as plentiful as some areas but we have all we need and great weather to boot.

Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
Maine deer harvest is 21,000 deer???? They have a 200k deer numbers and that is only a 10% harvest. No doubt the big boys are up there but man,, that is a lot of land for 200 k deer. I read a whole bunch on Maine deer hunting. Hunters say the woods is not logeed much due to bunny huggers. Real sad, I hear it is some real dandy country. I've only been as far as Speculator NY. , in the Adirondaks. Very rough beautiful country but seems really hard to hunt. I think you would be better in the Adirondaks than Maine. Not that I would know.

hookem: Yup that's the math...about a 10% success ratio and that is for ANY deer; for a buck it's much lower. If a guy wants to see a lot of deer, pick and choose bucks, Maine is not the place to go. Draw a line across northern Maine, NH, Vermont and the Adirondacks and the hunting is much the same....big, empty woods with low deer densities and "pockets" of deer activity.

Contemplating all this and experiencing it myself is why I consider the Benoits and others like them among the best deer hunters on the continent...they are consistently successful under these very difficult conditions, on bucks dressing 180 to over 250 pounds. But they are not the only one's.

Guys who live there, like JDK, who know the woods, work hard, and are good trackers and woodsmen(rare today)are successful more often than not...but these guys are not married to tree stands, are not "afraid" of getting lost, and understand that a big buck during rut will cover a lot of country, does not follow a "pattern", and know how to hunt them....they take off after them.

This is counterintuitive to someone used to stand hunting in areas of high deer densities, but it works. For example I would bet $10 bucks that JDK might well have killed that 260 pound buck that got bumped into another hunter(unusual up there and just bad luck) because it seems he had snow and a buck distracted by a hot doe....given enough time I bet he would have at least seen him at one point in time during the day.

Of course all this is a lot of work and over the top for someone new to the country. It's the reason I believe very strongly that deer hunting in northern Maine is tougher than anything else I have personally run into, continent wide. IME even central Canada is "easier".

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob,
Just curious what is the reason for such a low deer density in the upper northeastern states? What would help the deer, some timber clear cutting, controlled burns, etc.?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I an say that I've hunted deer in 8 states and that hunting in the south is the hardest I've done and that is because there just aren't that many deer and there is very little agriculture to give them high quality nourishment. Urban sprawl isn't a huge factor.

Hunting deer in Florida has been the toughest for me. We have so much brush/palmettos that even a very large buck with a head full of antlers can easily sneak by you or disappear right in front of your eyes by just hunkering down.

The easiest was Illinois/Indiana... Lots and lots of deer and plenty of big bucks and they weren't so dang spooky.

The state that seemed the easiest to me at first was Colorado because I saw so many deer on a regular basis but actually shooting one was a horse of a different color.

I've never been in the NorthEast so I can't answer that one but then I'm not the Bob you were asking.... wink

Bob

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not Bob but here are some excerpts from the University of Maine Study on deer and deer habitat in northern Maine. I think it is pretty much spot on. You have to remember that we, on average, get over 110 inches of snow each year (133 in 2013) and deer spend up to 4-5 months in yards.

�Fifty percent of the mature forest area (soft, mixed, and hardwood) was harvested during 1975-2007 in areas within a 1.25 mile buffer outside of protected Deer Wintering Areas (DWAs).

�Nearly all DWAs had harvesting activity within their boundaries; 91% had at least 1 heavy harvest area; 23% of the mature forest area within DWAs was harvested in this period.

�Remnant patches of wintering area are extensively fragmented in Maine and may help explain why deer have declined in areas with severe winters within the Northern Forest region.

�The broad-scale conversion of mature forest to regenerating forest in areas surrounding zoned DWAs� may be indicative of declines in extent of deer wintering habitat throughout the Northern Forest region.�

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
StrayDog: JDK covered it.

I don't know precise reasons but tough winters have a lot to do with it. There is a lot of logging activity and I guess it affects wintering habitat, which is hyper critical in the northern forests and really what determines deer survival up here. Our herds are really only as good as the winter habitat.

In some areas of NH, like up around Pittsburg, late in the seasons, you can actually see the migration routes as deer come out of the back country headed for wintering grounds near Mt Shatney; same mid state around Groton where I have hunted. Those deer are very single minded in their destinations and will not leave those winter areas until spring.

What would help? I dunno....maybe fewer coyotes, more winter habitat, more second growth and edge habitat(?) milder winters? It's just tough country and does not have the fertility of farm country and winters take their toll.

LDhunter notice I said the "toughest" that I have personally hunted smile but I have not hunted the south, and know by looking at it that the cover is pretty dense there, too...although I suspect you boys just have more deer than we do..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know Northern MN, Northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan has some big ones up there...biggest one I ever took was south of International Falls, north of Hibbing... weighed about 350 lbs on the hoof...field cleaned at 265 lbs...

that was the 1984 season, but we took some big ones up there every year...pretty much always over 200 lbs..

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Four years in a row I took bucks in IL along the Miss. river that all weighed over 200 pounds field dressed (I put them all on a scale). None would have had a live weight of 300. All killed before or early in the rut. Also took two deer in the same area post rut that dressed in the 180's. Rut takes a lot off them. Two did display the long bodies mentioned by others. Here are some pictures.
212 pounds
[Linked Image]
225 pounds, old deer
[Linked Image]
210 pounds
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
206 pounds
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Are 300 pound Mule deer as uncommon as 300 pound whitetails? I mean an apples to apples comparison not comparing average whitetail habitat to mule deer country but say Canada for whitetails compared to good Mulie country?

Canada is good mule deer country. Growing up in sw Alberta the biggest deer by a fair margin I saw was a mule deer buck.
Some very bigboddied mulies anywhere in BC plus big antlered bucks in Saskatchewan.
Just saying

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have had a few (very few) bucks in the upper Great Plains that have dressed at 220+ lbs, so probably close to 300 live weight. Not a common animal

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image]

This buck dressed right about 200 lbs

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

135 members (264mag, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 26 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,471
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.