24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Ringman. I have agreed with Poodleshooters assessment for a while now and keep probing to see when roofs might be cost-to-view affective compared to porros. Guess I will keep looking for a new lighter weight porro with super glass. In looking at the various models I have become amazed at the difference in field of views between some in the 7x to say 8x43 size bins.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nikon 7x35 Naturalist III
Leupie 6x30 Yosemite

The Nikon Action series in 7x35 are by far the best bino out there for the dollar.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My Swarovski 7x42 SL's still seem to work.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swarovski 6X30 Traditionals. HUGE depth of focus as well as field of view, better than anything else I've owned. Very sharp image - the lower power negates a lot of perceived shakiness. They won't quite hang optically with the Leica 8X42 here but they sure aren't far behind. Plus they're lighter and more compact and have their own usefulness when I don't want to carry the bigger and heavier Leica.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nikon SE 8x32 are my best and I love them. I also have a B&L Zephyr 7x35 and a late 60's Bushnell 7x35 that I wore the finish off of when I was a field biologist.

Ergometrics just work for me and whatever other issues they have I can live with. My brain has a problem with even the best roofs fuzzy ring around the image. Porro's don't have that problem and let me glass for hours if need be.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
RDFinn , you are spot on about the 7X26 Bushnell Custom Compacts . Many decades ago , I shopped around and found the Bushnells to be nearly as good as the Leicas and Zeiss of that day and way , way cheaper . Most of my shooting was at Varmints in plenty of Sunlight , and I still would rather use the Bushnells today to spot Prairie Dogs . Hand holding these light weights all day was a pleasure . There were 2 varieties of the Custom Compacts : the originals had eyepieces which always seemed to turn by themselves when being carried and had to be refocused , and a later spare set ( still unused ) which I bought which has eyepiece detents . These are poor for Deer Hunting near dusk & dawn , but I never seemed to mind too much . BTW ,those Custom Compacts were picked for the first Astronauts in Space .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Nikon 8x32 SE is still my favorite and reference standard for judging binoculars.
I also still keep a set of 7x35 Kowa Prominar, 7x35 B&L Zephyrs, 7x30 GR Leupold and 6x30 Yosemites around camp for loaners and my travel binoculars are Bushnell Discoverer compacts in both 8x and 10 x. They are the waterproof versions of the older custom compacts.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I bought those Bushnell Custom Compact's after having a pair of Zeiss 8x20 B/GA's which had very bad flare if you looked anywhere near the direction of the sun (dawn or dusk). They were nice and sharp otherwise and I thought perhaps I just got a bad example, so I retuned them for a replacement, but the replacement were the same. I sold the little Zeiss 8x20's and bought the Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26's and never looked back. They were just sharp, a little brighter and had no flare.....mine have the diopter side detent clicks also.

For size comparison ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sweet wife bought my Bushnell 7x26 Custom Compacts for Christmas in the late 70s (they were not inexpensive in 70s dollars). They are not moisture resistant, but can be cleaned. Like RDF, I still find them very useful. Back then, they were the cats meow for small glass. Unlike some more expensive binoculars that are sealed, the heat of riding in a vehicle does not seem to affect them.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only pair I have are a pair of Carl Zeiss pre-war Telexem 6x24s that I bought here for $40 shipped then had Nicolas at NRC Optics open up, clean up, re-seal and re-lube for $87. They are simply stellar optically.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
6x30 Yosemites - great glass for the money

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CKW
Two pair of Nikon SEs both 8X32, and my old B&L 9X35 Zephyrs.

I prefer the view through porro prism binoculars; but alas, none of the above are really weather-tight.

In stormy weather out comes the roof prisms.

I believe that the B&L 9x35 Zephyr was Jack O'Connor's favorite sheep glass, IIRC.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I still have my B&L 9x35 zephyrs, first really good set of optics I bought, back when I was mid 20's. One of the smarter equipment buys I've made.
We've covered a lot of miles together, and while I typically carry a set of Minox 8x32s now when I'm in the timber (most of the time), for longer range stuff or a lot of time glassing the zephyrs are still good to go.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,929
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.