Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AK_ARCHER
I'm looking into getting a new a new 1911, I have a Springfield " gi " model right now but I'm wanting to upgrade. My budget is around $1000 I'm not going to buy it tomorrow just want some recommendation to think about. I'm looking at Springfield, S&W, Sig, and maybe Ruger. Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot . The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.
never owned a Kimber ,but haven't heard anything but praise for them and if in the market for a new 1911 that would most likely be my choice

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I must be luck I have never had a single issue with my Kimber

Me either. My Custom Shop Super Carry Pro Lightweight Commander & my 10mm Match Elite have NEVER failed to feed or fire with ANY kind of factory ammo or reloads.
Lots of Kimber Haters out there. Haters gonna Hate.
[b][/b]

Not a hater, I have a Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H that I'm very fond of I just base what I'm thinking off what people I know have experienced and what my local gun smith told me. And I've not herd a bad word about Springfield so that's what I'm going on.

I think Kimber's rep is still suffering from their misadventure with external extractors.

Buy what you like in that price range from any of the usual makers. Odds are it will work right out, and any problems will be easily fixed by a good 1911 mechanic. It's probably more important to have access to someone who really knows how to make a 1911 work, than to pick the "one" best 1911. Little problems become big problems with the wrong "fix".

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RickcNY
I'm looking into getting a new a new 1911, I have a Springfield " gi " model right now but I'm wanting to upgrade. My budget is around $1000 I'm not going to buy it tomorrow just want some recommendation to think about. I'm looking at Springfield, S&W, Sig, and maybe Ruger. Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot . The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.
never owned a Kimber ,but haven't heard anything but praise for them and if in the market for a new 1911 that would most likely be my choice

You should get out more.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by RickcNY

You should get out more.

He's from NY Kimber from NY:)

Sorry couldn't help it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the money, I wouldn't kick the Ruger to the curb, they are a pretty good value,

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AK Archer,

I've got the Springfield 'Loaded' stainless. Am happy with it's accuracy and have no reliability problems.

The stainless 'loaded' comes with either a Bomar style rear sight (think this is actually called the 'loaded target') or a Novak rear. Mine has the BoMar which has cut my finger more than once racking the slide, this morning is the second time I have done some dehorning work on it. Tried one at the dealers that had a Novak rear on it last week and kind of wished I had gone that route as it is sooo smooth around the rear sight. Use my 1911 for woods carry so 'Normally' don't need the option of changing the sights after I find a load for it. I say 'Normally' as these are not 'normal' times, as I deplete my powder supply I find that I am picking up any powder that will work and feel lucky to find any... the local sportsman's warehouse used to have a few hundred pounds of powder on the shelf... these day's it's some odd rifle powder or none at all.

From the 460 rowland xd conversion thread===>"What do I need for a 45 super, a different spring?"

Some folks just use heavier springs, some also use a square bottom firing pin stop to slow down the slide and some gunsmiths can change the lock up on a 1911 so that it stays locked longer. Your chamber needs to have as much support as possible and you should only use 45 Super brass which is thicker in the web area.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 02/02/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here is a solution to what I feel is the only problem with the GI models:

http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/

They might be able to do a trigger job at the same time. If not them there are plenty of other shops that can do one stop shopping.

Here is another option if you want to keep it in the "family".
http://www.springfield-armory.com/custom.php

Last edited by supercrewd; 02/02/14.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a SA range officer. Seems like a solid value ( I paid 680 NIB). Not crazy about their mags though. I am using it for a range / plinking gun. I wish the Dan Weston's were still under a grand!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for the money, Colt is a good buy. Good reports on S&W, though.

As far as Kimber, cool designs, but they tend to cut corners in actual mfg. I have a 10mm, which I think is a cool range/hunting toy, but it is not for serious use, even though I eventually got it to run reliably. They still have parts breakage issues.

For $1000, one should not have to shoot $200-$400 worth of ammo to "break it in" mad

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&W has some in that price range, they're definitely worth a look. For a carry gun, I really like the Colt XSE Commander in .38 Super or .45 ACP.

IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I was on Colt's website tonight and I like the looks of the XSE series and the combat elite. What is the going price for colt's these days? They did not have a MSRP on the website.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,629
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.