Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello toltecgriz,

Technically the 416 Rem was designed to give the same ballistics as the 416 Rigby, only in a smaller case, using higher pressures. That it idid.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That is certainly a nice looking rig there. Lots of nice looking rifles came out of that Custom Shop. Always liked the looks of their Ultimate Classic or at least that's what I think they called it that was stainless barreled action in a fancy walnut stock.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello RDFfinn,

I talked with Winchester's Customer Service last week with questions about my rifle. The Rep said he consulted with several Winchester Historians, and he indicated that most of these "Custom" African models were sold through Safari Club, where orders were taken by displaying Winchester Representatives. He said my rifle was ordered in 2000 and shipped in 2001. He also advised that the 1-3/8" "Kick-Eez�" Recoil Pad found on my rifle, "was" an option that could be requested when the rifle was ordered. He went on to say that the scope and mounts were also likely specified at time of order because the 3 folding leaves of the rifle were never notched. He said that "anything" the customer wanted, was built into these Custom African Express rifles.

Sadly, he went on to say "there is no more Winchester Custom Shop today" - you only get what is currently retailed over the counter.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by buckstix
Hello toltecgriz,

Technically the 416 Rem was designed to give the same ballistics as the 416 Rigby, only in a smaller case, using higher pressures. That it idid.

Apples and oranges for the reasons you state. I should have made it clear I was talking about potential, not factory. Sorry for the omission.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RDFinn

That is certainly a nice looking rig there. Lots of nice looking rifles came out of that Custom Shop. Always liked the looks of their Ultimate Classic or at least that's what I think they called it that was stainless barreled action in a fancy walnut stock.

[Linked Image]

I used to drool over that thing. Awfully good looking rifle.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was another Winchester Custom Shop model I liked and that was the original " Extreme Weather". Stainless action, McMillan Edge stock and IIRC it had a Schneider(sp ? ) barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They got the barrels from different suppliers, at least according to Leslee at the CS when I talked to her back when. I had two of the Extreme Weathers - .30-06 and .375 H&H - and the barrels on mine were cut rifled and made by K&P, that was in 2000. I'd never heard of them at the time but apparently it was started by someone who had worked for one of the aftermarket barrel makers at the time. The stocks were McMillan Winchester Supergrades in standard fill. That was before McMillan offered the Edge technology.

I ordered both in December of 1999 IIRC for a planned safari in May of 2001, the receipt for the one is somewhere around here. The .375 took about 9 months and the .30-06 took exactly one year.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Winchester Custom Shop 375 H&H several years ago that was part of some special run they made. If I remember correctly it was really inexpensive. I bought it from a local dealer and took it to Africa. I remember it well because I didn't realize you couldn't take 2 375's to So. Africa and there was never a question asked. Then a couple of years later I took my Heym SxS 375H&H and my Mdl 70 375H&H and had a terrible time getting them to let me take them thru So. Af. but pleading prevailed and I had a successful hunt.My 70 did not have a drop magazine or the 3 leaf rear sight. It had very nice wood a nice pad and standard sights. It was stainless.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello zimhunter,

When you say several years ago, do you remember the exact year?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
buckstix - I checked my 4457's and the one with the Mdl70 is dated June 1998 so it was purchased just prior to that. Was probably traded same year as I know I didn't keep it very long. I think at that time I had 5 375H&H's. I rather like the caliber. My favorite is a SS Classic with a Wisner reproduction rear sight. It has a David Miller laminated stock made from one of his blanks. Only thing wrong is I got the top inletted and started the bottom in and found the stock wasn't Tall enough to fully inlet. I had to cut off top of magazine box so it only held 2 down plus one in chamber. Never needed more though.Bought the custom shop rifle as a backup since the price was so right.Whatever kind of special they were each dealer had an allocation quantity.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello zimhunter,

That's very interesting. Thank you.

I was just looking at my Custom African Express again. I think what I really like about it is the drop-bottom look of the stock. Its not quite as pronounced as my 505 Gibbs, but I think that "look is what makes for a classic Safari Rifle.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Hello nyrifleman,

When you say you were looking for the exact same rifle / caliber, were you looking for an "African Express" model?

Yes sir, the exact rifle you purchased. Again, congrats.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello nyrifleman,

So, should I keep your name just in case?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I would greatly appreciate that.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello nyrifleman,

Check your PM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That rifle has beautiful wood. Nice "settle for" cartridge in place of the historic .416 Rigby. grin Oh well, you can't have it all. Nice score with the employee discount.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. . .I was just looking at my Custom African Express again. I think what I really like about it is the drop-bottom look of the stock. Its not quite as pronounced as my 505 Gibbs, but I think that "look is what makes for a classic Safari Rifle.

[Linked Image]

Not to mention the red recoil pad!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
That rifle has beautiful wood. Nice "settle for" cartridge in place of the historic .416 Rigby. grin Oh well, you can't have it all. Nice score with the employee discount.

That's right, never settle for a 416... get a 404.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello OrangeOkie,
Hello RyanScott,

I didn't really have to "settle" for it, I also have a 416 Rigby. My idea of collecting dangerous game rifles is to get "one" of each calibers.

I've got a 10.75x68 Oberndorf coming, so now I'm looking for a 404 Gibbs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.