Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you go on Youtube, there are some pretty amazing videos of sebaceous cysts being popped and lanced, both at home and by doctors. Yes, I know this was an abscess and not a cyst, but this thread seemed like the place to mention it.

Some of the cysts on Youtube look like someone is carrying around a basketball on his back.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was some documentary on primitive medicine men and women or something many years ago. One scene showed an old woman draining an abscess on a man's back. She cut a short incision with a knife, then used a bamboo straw to squirt water from her mouth into the wound. Then she sucked it out by mouth and spat out the viscous result onto a flat rock. Had to rinse and repeat about two or three times if I recall.

I'm not all that squeamish but I damn near threw up watching that one...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RiesigJay
So DocRocket,

Why did the doc in the video press down on the abscess, soaking it up with gauze or paper, instead of using a vacuum like device?

I imagine a vacuum device would keep everything from running all over the place, and (if it stank) keep the smell down.

Stuff's usually too thick for the suction to work well. Also, abscesses are often loculated (multiple compartments), so pressing down helps get these loculations opened and expresses all the junk.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There was some documentary on primitive medicine men and women or something many years ago. One scene showed an old woman draining an abscess on a man's back. She cut a short incision with a knife, then used a bamboo straw to squirt water from her mouth into the wound. Then she sucked it out by mouth and spat out the viscous result onto a flat rock. Had to rinse and repeat about two or three times if I recall.

I'm not all that squeamish but I damn near threw up watching that one...

Damm.... And to think that some women get squeamish over giving a BJ... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DocRocket
That's a HUGE abscess! I've never drained one that big in my career. To tell the truth, incision & drainage of abscesses is one of the most fun things I get to do in ER. Yeah, I'm a sick bastidge, but I'm a HAPPY sick bastidge!!

The doc in this video made a very large incision, which tells me that this abscess was probably in excess of 500 mL in volume, possibly close to a liter. The abscess will have to be packed and repacked to keep it from closing and reinfecting. Assuming this is a healthy person, s/he will be going back to the clinic for a repack every 2-3 days for 2-3 months. Not a happy camper, I'm sure.

In my experience, only about 10-15% of abscesses grow the kind of bugs that make a lot of stink (E. coli, Bacteroides, and other anaerobes). Most of them are caused by aerobic skin bacteria such as Staphylococcus, and are odorless.But the ones that DO stink are horrible. And like Forrest Gump would say, until you cut into the thing, you never know what you're gonna get...

I've seen a LOT of infected tattoos, although almost all are simple cellulitis (infection of the skin and immediate subcutaneous fat) that clear up with antibiotics. Very few develop into abscesses.

The big risk now with tats is that we're seeing a lot more tattoo infections from methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). MRSA is not only hard to kill with conventional antibiotics, it can permanently colonize the skin, nostrils, etc, and may reappear as a life-threatening infection later. MRSA is a huge threat to critically ill people in hospitals and nursing homes.

That's interesting, I have drained several in my time overseas. The first one I assisted someone in draining was very putrid, however the next 10 or so that I drained didn't smell much at all, I always wondered why that was the case.

I have never seen one that large, and never would have thought one would get that big in the developed world.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was cool until he stuck his finger so deep in!!!!! Man that was super nasty!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 444Matt

Oh but they are so sexy on hot chicks LOL

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
tag

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Can't speak to whether or not my "occurrence" had an odor. I just remember the pain and the relief upon awakening.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
By the way Jack, and curious minds want to know, what did you have tattooed up there? ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
By the way Jack, and curious minds want to know, what did you have tattooed up there? ;-{>8

"Exit only" or "No entrance" perhaps? wink

John

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I hope. ;-{>8

Maybe an exit arrow.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by 444Matt

Oh but they are so sexy on hot chicks LOL

Don't get me wrong I love good ink and have tattoos myself, that stuff though wow!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Impossible to get up to that volume in a mouth, but it IS right where people live.

;-{>8

Hey, I thought you were still Red Striping it.

Sadly, fun and games are over.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That stuff is so gross!

We had a guy in PLDC when I was in the Army who developed a huge knot on his back, had one fo the medics look at it who proceeded to pull a syringe out and lance it before I could run out of the barracks and it popped and oozed about a golfball size wad of stuff that literally stunk the barracks up I can almost puke thinking about it 20 some years later.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Must have gotten that tat in Olongapo.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Glad I read through this thread before I clicked on the link. I'm not going to, now. sick

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, I thought that thing was totally fake. I guess not. How in the world is that possible? Man, that was way beyond nasty!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what no pix? sick cry

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,316
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.